Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My fiance has his SSR in June. He has a high FSH level of 26.  We have only been given a 5% chance of them finding anything.

The Urologist agreed to operate as he though OH's testicles looked a good size and felt normal.

Are there any success stories out there? Anyone had high FSH or a very low success rate?

I guess it is good to hear the negatives too.

^pray^ we are in the 5% - some of the decisions we may need to make are frightening the hell out of me

Thanks and baby dust to all  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hello guys,

My DP has Azoospermia, he was referred on the 15th April by the Gynae consultant, who said that we will be waiting approx 2 months for the appointment to come through for the SSR procedure.We don't know as yet whether it is non obstructive or obsructive, but are really hoping for the latter, all DP's blood results and physical exam indicate that it is likely to be caused by an blockage but we both know that this isn't always the case.The consultant said that there is more than a 50% chance of finding some sperm during the procedure, so for now we are clinging on to the positives.We will have to pay for the procedure as the PCT in our area don't fund it which we both think is grossly unfair, it is going to cost us around a £1000 but likely we put some money aside.Once DP has had his op then we will pretty much be ready to start ICSI. Good luck to everyone and sending lots of babydust to you all.

Lisa XX  ^hugme^

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi girls...I have a positive story for you. When it was discovered that my DP was azoospermic, we were told to 'adopt or use donor sperm' but after extensive research and advice from ladies on here, we pushed for SSR. My DP had high FSH and low testosterone levels and we were given a small chance of finding sperm. He has extremely small testicles (they're even smaller now!) but our fab Urologist found us enough sperm for 6 vials to be frozen.
We have had a BFP from it (using donor eggs as my age then became a problem) but I suffered a MMC.

The op my DP had was an Open TESE. Good luck xxx

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi ladies

Thank you so much for replying  ^hugme^ ^hugme^

Ayrshire - I am glad Glasgow has sorted themselves out and I really hope you get a date through soon. The waiting is the worst isn't it?

Lisa - why are PCT's so different? Our PC doesn't cover donor sperm so it will cost as a fortune if we have to do this  :'(

nvb - there is hope  ^pray^ ^pray^ I am so sorry about your MMC, I hope it's second time lucy

My OH is not too sure about donor but he says he loves me and wants a family with me, so I guess if he wants these things he will have to get around this idea. I would do anything!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ayrshire

I really do hope you get a date soon.  5 weeks today for my OH's SSR  :)

I'm in a bit of a state and driving myself loopy  ^idiot^

I am late my period and refuse to test as it can only be a BFN but I am letting, unthinkable, happy thoughts into my head - it just isn't possible!

Only ever been this late once! Not too sure what to do, as I don't want there something to be wrong with me. I normally have very regular periods. I suppose I just feel a bit of a fool if I test.

B

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ayrshire

AF finally turned up.  I went to buy a test but I had left my bank card at home, so walked away empty handed. She showed the next day so I saved some money  ;) and the heartached of seeing a BFN.

Looking back I had a terrible week. I didn't really know I was thinking about the possibilities so much but I was. I was thinkikng about if we had a miracle on our hands ALOT.  In the end of was so relieved that she arrived as I really felt out of sorts. I had spent so many months thinking 'we have done it' only to be deeply disappointed that we hadn't,.

After Novemeber I was slowly getting used to the idea of seeing her and expecting her to turn up every month and I am more comfortable (even tho terrified) about moving towards IVF. This is now my reality and comfort zone. Awaiting AF and thinking 'mayeb we have done it, it's a miracle' is not my reality anymore.

Am I making any sense lol  ^idiot^ ^idiot^

Where are you going on holiday?
OH and I would love to go away but it's just not feasible to make any decisions just yet.

Maybe after the op, we will book a break as we will need to think about our options - or OH will!

^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
222 Posts
POSITIVE TESE Story!

My DH had a high FSH (near 40) and we had a successful microscopic TESE.  Sorry for the delayed reply... I'm rarely on FF these days. 

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leebs - I do remember you telling me  ;D

Wow, how wonderful would that be if it could be us  ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^

OH and I were given 5% chance of finding something and I just  ^pray^ with everything in me that there is something there.

The Urologist said that the size and feel of OH's testicles was a good sign and that if they had looked smaller or felt different he may have not operated as he wouldn't have thought it worth it  - I guess we have to hold on to this slither of hope  :-\

The 9th is gonna be one hell of a day -it's going to map out the path of our lives  :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dear Lovebug, Ayrshire & Lisa32

My DH discovered he had Azoospermia in Jan 2008.  To say it was a massive shock would be an understatement!  I really feel for you all so much, as I know how awful it is waiting for the results of tests and procedures that will determine the course of the rest of your life  :(.  I don't mean to sound melodramatic, but that's what it felt like! We didn't have to wait too long for a Urology appointment or for a testicular biopsy luckily, but ended up waiting 5 months for the results of the genetic testing that was indicated as a result of the biopsy.  That 5 months felt like the longest time in the world, where our lives were on hold, unable to move forward in any way.

We've been lucky, more than lucky, as we had a BFP on our first ICS and our son was born in 2009  :).  Just wanted to let you know that we'll never forget how hard it was going through everything that you guys are experiencing at the moment and we really hope that it all works out for you.

Please keep us updated on how the biopsys(?) all go, fingers crossed for you

Eileithyia

·
Registered
225 Posts
To Eileithyia,

Thanks for your understanding message. It has been so hard for us with my partners diagnosis of Azoospermia in November of last year, it feels at first that there is no light at the end of the tunnel but as time goes on it becomes easier to deal with.

We are hoping to start ICSI in August this is obviously dependent on partners SSR procedure being a sucess, we have been told there is a 90% chance that it will be due to DP's blood tests coming back as normal. We are just trying to be as positive as we can, it's nice to hear the sucess stories as it gives us hope and something to strive towards.

Thanks again and i'm glad things worked out ok for you in the end.

Lisa XX

1 - 10 of 10 Posts