Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks Pam for new home....

Heather - I live near Braintree too!!! Black Notley.... I assumed you were right up on the edge of Suffolk to travel to Norfolk.  I went to Chelmsford Accupuncture Centre (Andrew Shapland).  He works Mon, Tues, Wed into the evening and has his practice in Duke St.  You'll have to tell him I recommended him if you go.  He's our age, quite laid back and camp although married, I've found him quite easy going.  There's a lady that operates out of Cannons in Chelmsford too, she's supposed to be quite good but I've no experience of her.  My reflexologist is in Braintree if you want her details.  She's very good and is a tutor for it so really knows her stuff - she goes to Japan to teach once a year too.  If you're going to embark on the Accupuncture route it'll be worth you looking at HSA or similar, I joined them just before I started and pay £12 a month but I get 75% of the costs of the accup back - so far had £150 back for paying £36 - bargain!  God hope all this isn't construed as advertising, just want to save you some time...

Sue does sound like you had a bit of bad luck yesterday, all the scan girls I've had were lovely.  There's a really nice irish girl that does them.  I'm a serial pee-er so I always had to do another one before going in anyway so didn't get told off luckily.  I've always found the scans quite uncomfortable too and that was one thing I was a bit disappointed about as I didn't get to see the scan either.  Although she did accidentally print a picture of my follicles off so I do have that as a momento!

Ronnie thanks and have fun tonight, hope you got to witness the counselling lady ...

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Sue - I had a scan today (got showed the screen, saw my lining and ovaries) and was in a proper bed with foot rests so I wonder if you were in the overflow room out the front? They have two I think - the better one being out the back by the loo.
The Dr also did my medical history when I saw them as it saved time.I had to re-do my b/w too but again I was at the right point in my cycle. I didnt mind that. I also did the long protocol and I think they prefer it as it's easier to track. I'm private and have had pretty much the same experience as you. The 'orange' comment was a new one on me though!  ;D

Leanne -  ^pompom^ ^pompom^ ^pompom^ ^BFP^ Congratulations!!! Of course you must stay! It's so nice to see a Barts BFP finally!!!

Heather - Honey  ^Cuddle^ ^Cuddle^ Sorr you got the BFN you were expecting - have been there and totally know how you feel. Definately pamper yourself!

Ronnie- Good luck with the acu. I did for my IVF but havent bothered for the FET as Im not sure it helped me much but I know people who swear by it.

Had a scan today to track my natural cycle and it's going okay. Lining is a little thin at 5.2mm but it's only CD7 so time to grow yet. I have lots of little follies (about 11 actually) but two main ones appearing on my Left ovary at 10mm & 8.5mm - have to use OPK's from Saturday and go back on Tuesday for another scan unless I O in the meantime.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hello everyone,

Sue - That's a bad experience, sorry u didn't get better treatment - the woman who did my scan there was nice and did talk through the results of scan with me, and both women in Norwich were good too, so sorry u got a duff one  :( Hope u get others for future scans.

Ronnie - go on, tell! Looking forward to hearing story, diplomacy not needed  ;D  Hope acu was good.  Thanks for message.

Leanne - How funny, I never realised.  I live in Silver End so not far away.  I will get in contact with acu in chelmsford thanks and would be interested in details of reflexologist thanks, that's great there's people so near by.  Is it the cash plan or medical plan you've got with HSA? i've had a look at the website and am a bit confused by it, but sounds like a good way of paying for tx. 

Kyla - Thanks, sounds like it's going well, sending u  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ and hope u are able to rest up this weekend.

Heatherxxxx

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi Girls

Info session on Tuesday. Arrived about 20 minutes early which is fine as we didn't want to arrive with minutes to spare & be stressed out as a result. We sat around until 10:05 when a nurse rounded us all up (7 couples) & we were led to a basement room in the outpatients department.

We were shown a powerpoint presentation about our schedule & the list of drugs we'll be using.  Unfortunately, at that time, no one knew what drugs we have been given so dh & I didn't really know when to pay attention & when not! We also had an embriologist who explained about their role..at this point dh felt quite queasy & sloped off outside for a breath of fresh air!  The cousellor then appeared to talk to us about why/when/how we can have counselling.  Having remembered all your comments & after listening to her speak, I started having these giggling fits & had to bite my lips to stop myself from laughing out loud!

After that it was form filling.  This is when it got complicated. They gave us the wrong form to complete (IVF as opposed to ICSI) & also the nature of some of the questions required a lot more thinking time than a simple 'Yes' or 'No'. eg we were asked what we wanted to do with our eggs & were given a choice of whether to keep them for us; help others or be used for research. To be honest we hadn't even thought of it but we had to tick a box there & then.  Also what to do in the event of either dh/I dying - do we want to keep our eggs/sperm??? I don't know!!! 

After the session which finished at around 12, we were free to go. As we had to complete the last form, we had to go back to the office with the nurse.  I also wanted to go through my schedule with her so she took us to a side room.  She admitted that she had only found our file 5 minutes before the info session(!). Whilst dh completed the last form, she went through our file & tweaked one of the drugs, Suprefact from 1 sniff to 2.  Also, there was a note on my file that I was to an aspirin a day.  If we didn't ask to speak to her, we wouldn't have known about the change in the dosage or the aspirin.

We went to the pharmacy to collect our drugs - our prescription couldn't be found - then they found out that because it hasn't been logged, it wasn't ready.  15 minutes, we were told, so we waited & waited, until 35 minutes later we told them we were getting some lunch & will come back for them later. When we finally collected our drugs, we were told they'd ran out of suprefact so we were given supracur instead.  As the doctor tweaked my dosage on suprefact, dh suggested for us to go back to the nurse to confirm.  We went back to the fertility department & a stroppy nurse stood in front of everyone & said in a very loud voice 'If the consultant wanted you to have suprefact, then you'll have to suprefact. Go back to the pharmacy & get them to prescribe the right drug. If they can't get hold of it, come back.' Feeling very stupid by now, we trudged back to the pharmacy. The pharmacist came out & told us that she phoned in the morning & spoke to a doctor about the drug situation & the doctor confirmed it was OK!!!!!! So back we went to the fertility department & we saw the original nurse this time who confirmed everything was fine!!!

Although the session finished at 12, we didn't leave the hospital until after 3pm!!!

When we got home in the afternoon, the nurse left a message on our answerphone asking us to call her the next day.  Panic really set in then..what could she want from us..is it the drugs? Do we need suprefact after all..how would we get hold of them..would it stop us having tx this month???

So the next day, I phoned early in the morning, just before lunch & 5pm, each time leaving a message for her to call back.  She did so around 5:30. She wanted to know who did my blood because she couldn't find it on my file. When I told her it was Sussex County, she said 'Oh yes, whilst we've been on the phone, I found your blood note'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've been left totally frustrated by the whole experience.  DH said it's not the tx which is the rollercoaster ride, it's dealing with the staff at Bart's!!

On the whole, we felt there was too much information in the session & a lot of it wasn't relevant anyway. It would have been better if, after the initial  consultation/scans/SA on the first day, a nurse could go through the drugs & schedule in the pm, there'd be no need for an info session. It would also be more personal.

Sorry to have ranted.  I must have bored you all to death!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Ronnie - Wow, your experience was just the opposite of mine - Ive found them so helpful. For the FET the info session is a 1-2-1 with a nurse and therefore much better. Sorry you had so much hassle. Have a bubble on me :)  ^Bubble Gum^

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Girls, how you all doing?

Kyla - Hi Babe Hows things going with you? You need to give me an update on everything, I am sooooo lost  ;D I tried to read all the posts, but it just confused me even more  ;D

Ronnie - how did the info session go? I'm guessing its around this time? You need to help me out a bit here, there was so much to read, its all mind scrambling  :eek:

All the rest of the girls, please forgive me, I can't remember all your names but feel free to give me an update on your situations xxx

·
Registered
376 Posts
Good morning,

How is everyone today.

Leanne, congratulations on your BFP, hope you have a happy and healthy pg.

Heather, so sorry about your BFN, hope you're ok.

Ronnie, read your post about your app, is this the app that you have to start treatment.  I've been told to call the hospital on day one of my next cycle so they can book me in to go through everything, didn't think it would be so long winded though, just though it would be an half hour app with a nurse, was hoping not to have to take too much time off from work for that one.

Sorry for no more personals but I'll try and keep up with everyone the more I come on here.

Can anyone tell me, do Barts put you under a general for ec or is it just heavy sedation, reason being is in the past I've always been put to sleep and am hoping this is gonna be the same here as I'm a bit of a baby when it comes to having things done while I'm awake.

Anyways just got into work so suppose I'd better get on.

Love
Paula
xxx

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Morning girlys

Ronnie, loved your rant, poor you & DH "what a parlarva!"  And there with have Kyla telling us how great they are  ;D

My DH will be well p.........d off, if that happens to us, he is not the most patient of people and I could feel that he was being pushed to it on Weds.

Still seems as though they have a way to go with their organisation, it maybe cos the Consult. fessed to me that they had only just acquired this contract.  He also said they have some 860 patients! So we are still guinea pigs.  From reading your post it does seem a shame that they couldn't make better use of that first day, because it would help fill the time, so much for their fast track service to take little time off.

Ronnie, did you get your NHS season ticket sorted.

Kyla, I was in the treatment room just off the waiting area.  It was a proper couch and the pillow was in the middle for my head.  When I was at the Nuffield the pillow in the middle was for my bum.

Paula, having just read the blurb IVF book they gave me, you are sedated with heavy painkillers and should not feel or remember anything.  This sounds similar to my private go which was the same.  I remember walking in, laying down, blood pressure cuff on, needle in the arm and nothing else.  Next mo I woke in bed, how did I get there.  DH says Nurses helped me climb out of wheelchair and saw me into bed.

Have you had your consult yet, because Ronnie's experience is the next stage, which is what I am almost ready for to.

Well as expected AF has arrived, So I can do Day 2 blood tests tomorrow but it's the weekend.  My surgery are closed, referred me to Eastbourne DGH blood test dept.  They are closed we can do them for you on Tues or next month.  Phoned Tun Wells Hosp, they are closed she did understand urgency and suggested I go to A&E.  Phoned A&E yes they will do them for me, but I will have to be prepared to wait depending on queue and priority of cases.  So I phoned my old friends at the Nuffield, yep they can do them no probs, I will have to pay.  Well, I guess its a small cost compared to Nuffield IVF so what. 

Well got to go, a best school friend who I last saw 20 yrs ago is coming to visit, (one of those friends reunited linkups).  It sounds as though our lives are so different, not sure what to expect.

Enjoy the day, looks sort of dry here.
Sue

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi Sue,

I’ve had the initial consultation, bloods, scans etc and  now we are waiting to actually waiting to start treatment.  I’ve been told to call on first day of af and they will get me booked in within the first 2 weeks so I can get all meds and see the nurse for a teaching session.

Good luck with meeting up with your friend, bet you’ll have loads to talk about, I’ve met a few old friends on the reunited site but haven’t actually met up with any.

Better get on.

Paula
xxx

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Paula

It sounds as though we are at about the same stage.  I had initial consult, scans etc on Weds.  Unfortunately noone had told me I needed day 2 bloods doing, so I need to phone when I have those results.  Day 2 is tomorrow so I should be able to phone to arrange teaching session soon.

Sue

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I was told to book info session when I had blood test results, I see Paula was told to book on Day 1 of Af.

As I am Day 1 today, and blood tests are going to happen tomorrow, only doubt is where will test have to be sent.  I thought I would try booking info session.  Booked 14 Sept, so results should be sorted by then.  Means I start sniffing on 15th.

I thought sniffing was just a different drug regime before, now I understand it is something I have missed out on cos I have done long protocol before.

Sue

·
Registered
376 Posts
I haven't been told I need any blood tests, do they usually carry out blood tests just before you start treatment as well, I was under the impression that I am just going for the info session and to pick up meds so I can start on day 21.

Paula
xxx

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Paula

When I went for my consult, he asked me for my blood test results.  I said I didn't have any.  Apparently I should have been sent a letter asking me to arrange with my local surgery to have Day 2 tests done.  So he said they were needed before they could continue, gave me the form to arrange when time came.  Once I had results I could continue to info session, which is to collect drugs and learn ins and outs etc.

Maybe you had them recently by your local hosp, and those results were forwarded for your notes.  My NHS notes do not mention any blood tests.

If you have already been seen by consult. you should be ok.

Sue

·
Registered
376 Posts
I just phoned the hospital to check and no I won't need any more blood tests as I've had all mine done, just got to have the info bit which she told me is usually the Wednesday just before day 21 of your cycle and both partners have to attend, I just hope dh can get the time off!  He never likes taking time off from work but he'll just have to sort something out.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Paula that's a relief, you must have been lucky to get through, took me ages.  Hope I didn't worry you re: tests, I am sure it was just a prob with me or their lack of communication or my postman.  ^idiot^

I have same prob with DH and time off, thought it would be easy as he is the boss, but seems not, always got to be there just in case.

Sue

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi Sue - yes, the more we think about it, the more frustrated we got.  Maybe we were just unlucky & things can only get better!!!! If you do start sniffing on the 15th, you'll only be slightly behind me, I start on Monday 29th..I'm dreading getting the side-effects! Can you/anyone reassure me that I'm not going to turn into a monster or start stabbing dh???  I was told by my acu that he'll able to counter-act the side effects by moving the stagnation!!!

Paula - Glad you've got it clarified by Barts. On the info session, they mentioned that at EC, we'll be given 2 lots of drugs, one of them to block out your short termed memory!!! The session will only last just over 2 hours but be prepared to think about what you want to do with your eggs/sperm etc. There may also be a long wait for your drugs!

Ronnie

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ronnie - I didn't turn into a monster the last 3 times although I did cry a lot but I think that was just me worrying and being so negative all the time, the only side effect I seemed to suffer from was the hot flushes, not good when you're travelling on the underground!!!!

Sue - sounds like our dh's are alike!!!! the amount of rows I've had in the past with dh because he worries so much about work, at times I felt that works more important to him.

Anyways as for ec, I want to be put to sleep, I don't want to feel any pain, am I a baby or what.  If you're only heavily sedated does dh come in with you, I've seen loads of programs on tv where partners are there with you during ec.

Oh well must do some work.

Paula
xxx

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hello everyone,

Hope you're all ok.

Ronnie - wot a nightmare, we thought we had a bit of a nightmare at our fist consultation, but yours much worse  :(!  That's also where we're lucky with Norwich, as the nurses just give u the prescription, no need for prescription etc. Hopefully, things will only improve.  We also had to fill in those forms, felling rushed, but we then had to re-fill some in later, so think if u want to change anything on your forms, then you have more time if you want.  I don't know why they don't just talk through the forms and get you to bring back at your sirst scan  ^idiot^

I didn't find the side effects too bad on the spray, bit down and miserable, but managed to keep going on them.  When it came to adding the stimms, my energy and emotions took a bit of a battering then, but if you are having acu, then maybe the effects won't be too bad. 

Sue - I think from your post that you phoned to tell them you were on day 1?  Not sure, but they had told me to phone on my day 1 too, so think that's what's meant to happen.  And maybe you can bring your blood test results with you to info session?  That way you know they've got it.  Hope u ok  :)

Nicky - How r u?  I just had bfn and waiting for 3 months before starting again.  Where r u up to with everything?

Paula - Hello, i was given sedation too, can still remember bits of it but it was ok because i was really spaced out  :p and so was in my own world.  Maybe you can chat to 1 of the nurses about it? They should be able to help you with that. No one is allowed in ec with you, they said they'd changed their policy in Feb, but I had a nurse who was by my side throughout, was really friendly and because i said i was hot was fanning my face throughout!! 

Kyla and Leanne - Hello, how r u both doing?

Heather :)xxx

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi Paula

At the info session the nurse mentioned that dh's are welcome to stay with you during ec.  I remember thinking 'Fat chance of that happening' as my dh is so squeamish he'd probably keel over & they'll need another bed for him!!!

Hot flushes I can cope with. Mood swings I'd hate. I think it's hard being positive when you know that at any stage, things could go wrong.

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.