3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New home  ;)

Lots of love and luck to you all xxx  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hi girls

I have been lurking on the Barts board for the past few weeks since I found out I am lucky enough to get one free NHS go and thought it was about time I posted and officially asked to join you. 

I have my intro day next week. 

I have had two goes at ICSI this year at the ARGC so am hoping for 3rd time lucky!  Our history is that we were initially diagnosed with male factor but have also been told we have immune issues by the ARGC.

My immune symptom is that we get a lot of immature eggs and I have to have tons of drugs to get a response (which probably doesn’t help egg quality).  You will see my history in my signature so won’t bother repeating it! 

Just to reassure you on the lying down/standing after ET debate, the ARGC don't believe in lying down either.  They leave you on the table for about 5-10 minutes then let you go to the loo (full bladder transfer is a nightmare!).  You then get dressed and are free to go or alternatively sit back in the waiting room until you are ready to leave.  My acupuncturist, who specializes in fertility and mainly IVF said that your uterus is like a vacumn and works better to hold the embies in place when you are standing up rather than lying down.  Transfer at the ARGC is a very thorough process and takes at least twenty minutes so to be honest it is a relief to get out of the stirrups and stand up!

I need to work out how to run my immune treatment alongside my next cycle and have noticed that some of you have managed this.  I am hoping the ARGC or my GP will prescribe the Clexane and Dexamethasone and I will wait and see if I have anything to transfer before hopefully seeing if ARGC will do IVIG for me if I need it this time.  Were all of you with Dr ******* or did you manage to get your drugs prescribed elsewhere? 

Daycj, so sorry about your BFN.  It is so hard to go back to square one yet again.  I know how you feel about going through it all again, but each day it does get a little better.  I focus on the fact that even the best clinics only have a 50% success rate so the way I look at it is that you have lots of data from your failed cycles so you will get the cycle that most suits you + you have the 50% luck element and just have to hope it is on your side.  I am trying to go into this cycle telling myself there is no reason that it won’t work and also I am not going to be any poorer financially so the stakes are not so high.  I also don’t have as high expectations, I think the first time I expected it to work but now I am trying to focus on the fact that there is no reason why it shouldn’t but just as when ttc naturally you wouldn’t expect it to work first time IVF is the same (except it is hell on earth to go through!) .  My DH was initially wary about switching clinics even if it is free but I have talked him round with this argument!

I am also a little worried about the lighter sedation, At ARGC it was heavy sedation not GA so you were completely out of it and no DHs were allowed down to theatre.  I didn’t feel a thing, woke up about 10 minutes to ½ an hour after theatre and were allowed to go home an hour later whereas at Barts it sounds a bit different. As long as you get enough pain relief I am happy to be conscious as the quicker I can go home to my own bed the better.  Girls, does EC hurt or feel uncomfortable when you are semi conscious? 

Best of luck to you girls that are stimming, hope you have lots of lovely follies growing.

xxxx

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi Everyone

I pressed sent & found Rachel's locke the old post!

Daycj - Welcome aboard. I'm really sorry to hear about your bad news. You must be feeling so rotten right now & it doesn't help that your DP isn't too keen on the idea of having another cycle of tx. I guess he's just feeling so helpless at the moment having watched you go through the rollercoaster ride of each tx without being able to do anything to help alleviate your pains, both physical & emotional. The other girls are right - you need to get back to doing 'normal' things without the worry of following a schedule. Let tx take a back seat for a few months & just enjoy being with each other, because if you do go on to have a further tx with Bart's, you'll need each other very much.

As for experience of Bart's...well, as Sue said, Kyla has never had any problems with them, whereas I seem to have niggles everytime I go. Last time, for example, they forgot about me & left us waiting for over an hour! I found a lot of the staff to be brusque & abrupt..there's certainly no hand-holding so far! They also changed the dosage of my drugs & prescribed baby aspirin which I wouldn't have found out had we not stayed behind in the info session to speak to the nurse on a 1 to 1 basis. We have also found them to be impersonal.  DH & I were talking the other day that if this tx doesn't work & we have to go private, we'd prob choose the Lister, as we had an initial consultation there in 2003 (where they advised for me to have my fibroids removed first) & there's also a satellite unit in Brighton so I won't have to traipse up & down London all the time.

Heather - Really pleased today's gone well. That's really good news. I started d/r with suprecur but it didn't do a thing for me so they changed me to synarel. When the nice lady last week found out (as it wasn't written down on my notes!), she smiled & said 'Yes, that's a better one to have!' I'm also on menopur & once you get used to the mixing, it's not that bad. I've got it down from 20 mins to 8!!!

Sue - Why do I always have to cook???  :mad: I'd rather like some of your paprika pork tonight..beats my frozen steamed thai chicken & rice!

Cal knows you're a keen gardener because we were virtual gardening the other week when I was off work, & we also had tea & cakes whilst I was watching you work??? Do you think Cal's been hacking buddleia bushes??

Cal - I feel a bit tender 'down there' as well whenever I walk. I liken it to ovulation pain (god, I hope it isn't that!!) & I'm feeling quite bloated too (prob of the 2 lts of water I drank today!) Do you think it means our follies are growing??

Hi Lol - Welcome as well. When do you start d/r? The other girls will be able to advise you on the immune side of tx & also sedation as I'm still on the stimming stage!

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
HI Ronnie - ok you can come and have pork with us.

Cal have you been hacking buddleia - the things that you see on the train tracks.

Ronnie & I will arrange a time and we will come up with some cakes and sort out the virtual garden.

Lol - welcome.

Got to go DH said you on here again, when's dinner?  ???

Have a good eve, fingers crossed for tomorrow - looking out for Ronnie
Sue

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hi Girls

Just felt really daft!!! Couldn't work out for ages how to reply to the messages and then realised I hadn't logged on  ^idiot^

Thank you so much for all your messages it is so good to have so much support I have been posting for over a year on an american site but it is good to hear from everyone so much closer to home.

I had a few questions to ask but will hold on them till tomorrow-just got back from a very relaxing yoga session anmd need to find the sofa!!!!!  ;)

Hope you have all had good days...hope the scans go well tomorrow

Love Maddy xxxx
^daisy^

·
Registered
216 Posts
^wave^

Hello lol - welcome aboard, we're building the numbers up nicely.  Sorry to see you're been through this twice already, fingers crossed it'll be third time lucky.  I have factor V leidon which is thick blood and was seen by Mr Rai at St Mary's recurrant miscarriage clinic before we went to Bart's who prescribed clexane.  I'm guessing you know what you need and if you can get someone to prescribe it there shouldn't be a problem.  You'll get the chance to ask about that after you info session next week.
As for the EC I found it uncomfortable but not really painful, it's like your asleep but are aware of what's happening.  This could be due to a dodgy right ovary which is hidden.

Heather - Pleased to see things went well with your follow up and at least you've got something to look forward to, if thats the right way to word it.  It's like your life's on hold in between and you just want to get on with it.  Bloody frustrating I found.

I do remember that strange chat about gardening, but I was new and thought maybe you were both gardening and eating cake.  ;D  I now know what to expect from you.
I'm on the train tomorrow so I'll look out for those bushes and see if I recognise them.  I was about to say the leaves are green but even I'm aware that most leaves are.  It also smells slightly!

Ronnie - yes it feels like ovulation pain so hopefully follies are growing strong.  I'm also drinking water like it's going out of fashion. 

I'm quite excited about tomorrow how sad is that, but it'll be good to see how things are going.  Ronnie make sure you don't sit at the back again.  GOOD LUCK to you and Sue, hopefully it'll be good news.

Maddy -  looking forward to question time tomorrow.

Take care girlie's, speak tomorrow.
Cal
^monkey^ ^monkey^

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi Cal

LOL about the gardening..Sue & I are both mad, aren't we??

We will be sitting right by the receptionist area so we don't get forgotten again. Good luck for tomorrow as well. I'm really nervous!!

Hi Maddy - looking forward to your questions!

Sue - Good luck for tomorrow. Will see you there!

Ronnie

·
Registered
939 Posts
Just wanted to let you know that I'll be thinking of you today-hope the scans go well for you all xxx

Love Maddy xxxxx
^daisy^

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi ladies.  Thank you so much to Sue, Cally, Heather, LOL, Ronnie and Maddy for making me feel so welcome and giving me such great feedback.  Sue - you have the memory of an elephant as i did have to cancel my original Barts appt as Steve's dad was getting married on 25 Sept and we couldn't get back in time to make it. 

Amazingly I am feeling much stronger today.  I am going to go for my appointment on 31 Oct as I fought my Primary Care Trust so hard to get it and I'm buggered if I'm not having what I'm due.  My taxes are paid!!!  I just don't feel ready yet to give up on this who IF situation.  This might sound daft but after watching that Pride of Britain last night I gave myself a bit of a talking to.  I have a lot to be positive about - I have my health, a fella who is fab, a lovely family, two cracking nephew and nieces and so I should count my blessings.  How long this positivity will last is anyone's business! 

Sue and Ronnie. Good luck for your scans today.  xxx

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hello everyone,

Sorry I've not been on for a while only been busy again, I'm definately gonna have to start posting of an evening, any other evening posters out there????

d/r is going ok, don't feel any different yet, still hating the taste.  I'm really getting worried about this sedation thing again now, one minute I'm brave and then I go to pieces, just don't want to feel any pain, want to be sound asleep!!!!  Any tips on not stressing so much about it?  I think I've asked this before but can partners come in with you?

Well better get on, will pop back on tonight.

Love
Paula
xxx

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi, I haven't posted on this thread before and am quite new to FF. Hope you don't mind me jumping in!

I'm also a Barts girl (my first attempt at IVF) - it's on the NHS as I live in Brighton and that's who they use.  This is a quick summary of how the treatment has gone. Was due to start Buserelin on 3rd Sep (day 23 of cycle) but AF arrived on 2nd Sep! Phoned nurse who said to start anyway as I may be lucky and still down reg OK.  Went for baseline scan on 20 Sep (day after my 40th Birthday!) and everything was fine - lining was 2.5 mm so started stimming using Gonal-F. Had first monitoring scan on 28 Sep and had a lot of follicles - a couple were 17mm, so instead of carrying on stimming and having another scan they asked me to do the trigger injection and have EC on 30 Sep! They got 13 eggs. Don't remember much about it due to the sedation and went home after 2 hours rest. They phoned the next day (DH's Birthday!) to say 6 had fertilised, so we were really pleased. ET was on 3 Oct - had 2 grade 2's put back (the others were very fragmented and not good enough to freeze).

So now I'm on the 2ww and test on 17 Oct - so fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Hi Hellybelly

Welcome!!  You must have responded really well to the stimming drugs for them to ask you to do the trigger injection, you lucky thing!!!! Fingers crossed for you for 17 Oct. I live in Brighton as well hence Bart's, like you!

Paula - Don't worry about posting regularly. We know you're really busy at work. I'm usually an evening bod (can't email at work!) whereas Sue is a daytime girl!  Also, try not to worry about EC & take 1 step at a time, otherwise the whole thing is just so daunting.  The other girls will be able to advise you on the procedure as I'm not quite there yet!

Hi Daycj - Pleased to hear that you're feeling more positive today. Do you know how long the waiting list is on NHS?

Thanks for all your good wishes. Went for my scan today & for once, everything went according to plan - we were in & out in an hour! I was really nervous & thought there wouldn't be any follies but there were 11 + 3 little ones. They ranged between 10mm - 19mm. The consultant & the lovely Irish nurse were really pleased with my progress so I'm booked in for another scan on Friday & hopefully EC & ET next week.

Sue - It was really lovely to finally meet up today. When you & your dh walked in, I saw 2 tall people but thought it couldn't be you as it was half an hour before your appointment. When you came up & said the 'code', ie 'Do you like cake?', good job it was me, because my poor dh thought he was back in Amsterdam & someone was offering him drugs!!!!

Hope your scan was good too & you are growing lots of lovely follies & the cysts aren't a problem.

Cal - Hope yours went fine too. Did you manage to see Sue due to the delay at Bart's today?

Speak soon

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Hi All

Welcome HellyBelly - gosh you should have joyed us yonks ago cos you are well ahead of us.  We have a mission on this board to get girls off of it - so no pressure but you are now top of the queue to go.

Paula - whose counting when and how often you post?  We know you are busy so just as long as you know where we are if you are suffering, have a prob etc.  Most of the time these days you are just reading Ronnie's and my waffle so we prob. post real stuff as often as you I should think.

Don't worry about the EC at the mo. getting stressed by that take each step as it comes for now think about sniffing.

I am a daytime girl cos I am lazy and don't work and my DH gets tetchy if I don't pay him attention when he walks in the door and choose to sit at the computer instead.  Almost in the doghouse last night when I was trying to say welcome to Lol and dinner wasn't cooking  ;D

Lol, I should think you will have to get the clexane from the Docs that prescribed it in the first place - can't imagine Barts would want to do that as they didn't diagnose you and in my opinion they seem to think it a waste of time.  Best bet is to ask when you go.

Cal - hope you got on well today - prob did see you, just didn't know who you were - Was tempted to shout out whose the garden hacker?  They were running half an hour late today and time I had been in prob turned into 3/4 of an hour - sorry.  If you saw us we were tall and both in blue?  Still no Docs had ill health today.  I did ask after him and apparently he is now fine and back at work.

Talking of the Doc I thought he looked a bit dishevelled as if he should spend all lunchtime propping up the bar.  Dr Reem seemed quite nice and yes the Irish nurse Elisha - was lovely - I would say first friendly face I've seen, she can come to the cake club.

So how did I get on - well the nurse seemed very pleased with my progress too.  I have 4 cysts creating their own little community and growing to a grand 20mm.  What can I do with those?  I have poss 11 follies max size of 12mm, there is some doubt that some of these follies maybe cysts too.  I've had sharp pains and discharge overnight - but they don't know what that is?  So I go back for a scan Fri at 12.50.  They have also upped my menopur to an extra vial each night.

Quite funny that the Doc prescribed 4 - saw the nurse and she said that might not be enough upped it to 10, just in case.  Also have a scan booked for Mon - just in case.

Ronnie - not sure about your DH's summing up of me - offering drugs there and then in a hosp  ;D.  Must be something to do with living in Bn - you know what a cokehead might sound like in the loos and also know what "do you want cake means".

Going to rest now.

Sue

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Barts have phoned my Fri appt has changed to 12.00 - as it needs to be earlier.

DH wants pizza tonight - anyone want a slice - come on over.  I expect he will open a bottle too

Sue

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hi Girls

What a long day!!! I am so glad its the evening...I need some sofa time  :p

Wow this is such a busy board its so good to find all this support  :) I had to go back and read through all your posts just to catch up with where everyone is! I really like the thought of actually seeing someone in the waiting room-though that would be strange as well, I'm up at Bart's a week next Tuesday!!!!!

I just wanted to ask a few things-have any of you seen the counsellor? I know we were offered an appointment when the cycle failed I'm just thanking I may try it out. Have been feeling so sad about it all over the last few weeks just think chatting to someone might help. Also because we had a year off I also did some initial research into adoption which I am very keen on and after another BFN DH is certainly getting a lot more at ease with the idea-who knows!!??!! x

Also I hope you don't mind me asking but have you kept all your IVF to yourselves or have you shared whats going on with friends and family, for the last few years we have very much kept it to ourselves with only very close family knowing...I'm just finding more and more that people are asking me if I'd consider IVF part of me wants to just say "don't you thank I've tried everything" but another part of me knows its helped me deal with the disappointments by just knowing that I have to get on with things and be my normal happy self, also I suppose the other advantage is people are not always asking.... I know its a really personal thing and is different for everyone-I just wondered!

Ronnie sounds like you're doing really well-I can't remember at what follies I had at different stages-do they always do your E2 levels as well?

Sue sounds like it went well for you too-I totally understand about the cysts I have 2 and had them both all the way through my cycle in the summer-1 is 7Cm's!!!! It actually made no difference at all to the number of eggs-they got 7 eggs from both sides!!!

Cal hope you got on well too xx

LOL its interesting what you say about standing up after ET I was so careful when I got up and got dressed so carefully as if I'd just had surgery-but then we got outside and into a taxi which managed to find every pothole in the road!!!!! I'm also looking into immune issues I've not heard of Dr *******-does he work at Bart's or were you sent to him for tests. I've been looking at Dr Beer but just not sure if I can go through with it all if all the Dr's are against it!!

Daycj I'm sorry about your BFN but you do sound alot more positive!! Its strange that we both started off at HH and are now at Bart's-it'll be interesting to see how you find it-I posted on the old Bart's thread about what I think the main differences are!!!

Hi Hellybelly I'm really new here too. I have my fingers crossed for you ^bow^ We'll all be here to cheer you through the 2ww. Are you going in for a beta or will you test at home?

Sue I like the idea of pizza!!!! If I sit at the computer much longer we won't be getting anything!!!  ^monkey^

Love Maddy xxxxx
^Cuddle^

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hello again - thanks for making me welcome!

MaddyMoo, I'm testing at home - first thing Monday morning before I go to work.  I'm going to try and stay relaxed over the weekend though, if I can.

As to who we've told about the IVF - only close family, a few friends who had guessed something was going on and my boss. I originally wasn't going to tell her but am glad I did now because she has been great. It turns out she had fertility problems herself and was just about to start IVF a few years ago when she conceived naturally! So she understands what I am going through and has been really good about me having time off at short notice etc.

Keep positive everyone.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hello Ladies  ;),

I'm late reporting in today due to DH needing to use laptop for work all afternoon.  I've finally got rid of him, he's watching the football. 
I'll get my moan out the way first.  One of my friends phoned today to let me know her husband walked out 2 months ago leaving behind 2 kids the youngest being 6 weeks.  He said he doesn't love her anymore and he doesn't want the responsablity.  He of course has someone else to help him over the heartache, while she has no home, no job and no money.  It really makes me mad when you know that some men want to be a father more than anything.
There I'm fine.

Hello Hellybelly, lovely to have you with us.  How are you finding the dreaded 2ww?  The drugs and scans are the easy bit.  Hopefully we'll have some positive news come next week.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you.  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Daycj - It's good to see your feeling positive today, it 's amazing with what we have to go through and  how we just keep picking ourselves up and getting on with it.  Still I like to think it'll be worth it in the end.  How's your hubby feel about going again?

Paula at least if your busy the time will fly.  I wouldn't worry about ec yet, you'll have 3 of us letting you know how easy it is!  Last time for me was fine slightly uncomfortable but not painful.

Ronnie and Sue your posts did make me laugh, drug dealing inside of a hospital, still theres a ready supply.  I'm pleased to see things went well for you both.  Follies are growing nicely.  So hopefully it's all go next week for you both as well.

My scan went fine apart from being half an hour late due to signal failure at Stratford which is where our train terminated today rather than Liverpool Street.  So I was getting stressed at having to find our way from there.  But it did mean we didn't have to wait, did think they may have gone to lunch.  So it's a good job you didn't shout out Sue you may well have got some funny looks and no response.  ;D

I've got 6 large follies 12mm+ and 6 small on my left side which I'm pleased with as my left ovary preformed better last time.  And I think it was 7 10mm+ and 3 small on the right.  I had the bigger follies on the right last time but only 3 eggs out of 7.  Whereas with the left 6 out of 7 contained eggs.  I've always liked the left more anyway.  ^idiot^  Go back for scan on Friday at 10.40 this time, so hopefully ec next week. 

Maddy - I'm getting the idea you like your sofa as much as I like mine. :)  For our first tx we told close family and friends and while most people I work with knew we were going to be doing IVF I never told them when.  They found out after due to time off sick.  But this time I think everyone knows.  I've come to the conclusion that unless you're been through this you'll never understand.  And as I don't feel ashamed about needing IVF I thought sod it I'll tell people, then when I'm grumpy people will just let me get on with it(which they did).  The one thing they won't know is when we test that includes parents, so we then have time to accept it or enjoy it ourselves first.  The best thing about people knowing is no one ever asks when we'll be having a family anymore.  Everyone is different and it depends how comfortable you feel with talking about it. 

Hope I haven't forgotten anyone.

I've gone on and on tonight, I'm finished now.

Love
Cally

PS did anyone save me any pizza?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Happy Morning  :)

So pleased it went well for you Cally yesterday.  It's good that the 3 of us are still tog.  gonna be so sad if one of us falls  :'(.  Your follies sound good sizes, I was getting a bit confused with mine because she was shouting out sizes and I was trying to count but I wasn't always sure whether they were follie or cyst.  Thankfully the nurse sorted me out.

Hellybelly - almost there, hopefully you can keep busy over the w/e so time passes - are you testing early?

Daycj - glad you are feeling a bit pos, it does come in the end.  I think the best decision is to go on the 31st just with an open mind and see what they say.  I suspect when they hear you have already tx'd this month they are going to say you need to wait a bit, so that maybe the excuse you and DH need.  Strange some of us feel the need to jump back on straight away and others need time.

Ronnie - see we are still here making folk laugh - I knew I was put into IF for something  ;D.  I hope you all got pizza last night, cos when I went into the kitchen to make supper it had all gone - bet DH scoffed the lot,  Wasn't me honest - not allowed it.

Well my tum disturbed me most of the night - I think there is a competition in there between the follies and cysts see who can grow biggest or something.  I am finding it seems to grow during the day?

Cally did you see the bushes?  Let me guess were the flowers a purple colour and sort of little but altogether on a long pointy bit?

Maddy - to begin with I didn't tell anyone - we wanted it to be a surprise like a nat pg.  I did tell my friend "mumsy", she's 50's so was good for the grown up support and advice stuff.  But as time has moved on we felt we needed to tell family mainly cos of pressure.  They mainly live in Ireland and we were getting awkward questions when are you visiting, why aren't you going over etc.  Our house was for sale as well and we were looking for a perfect one (I am property developer usually - so buying out of the norm) and the questions of why are you looking at brand new, then we decided to stay and extend so it was why extend?  At the end of day I was finding the secret a stressful, tiring job in itself - so we came out.

I don't have the colleague stuff nor many friends, so that's easy.

As for counselling never done that - haven't felt the need myself.

Hi to Paula, Heather, Leanne, Fran, Kyla (hope this weather improves for your move), Lol - and anyone name I've missed - sorry Love you really.

Well no one seems to be around to chat today, so I'm going to do something else

BYE

Sue

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Paula

You have a private prescrip from Dr ******* for your NK cells?  Keep an eye on the date of it.  I didn't realise but they have a 6 month shelf life.  Just tried to buy the drugs and told prescrip is out of date.

Are you going to take prednisolone etc?  When I had my scan yesterday the Doc asked when would I start the aspirin - already started then he asked about the steroids and I said after EC.  I asked if that was ok and he said he didn't care what I put into my body as long as it was after EC.  :)

Sue

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hello everyone,

Good news re: follies, hope you're all feeling OK. 

Welcome Helliebelly and Lol

Will post properly later on just wanted to pop in and see how you're doing. Almost lost it with my boss bit earlier on and now gotta go into a meeting with him - will try and keep lips sealed. 

Take care and catch up later - the pizza was lovely last night Sue, thanks!! ;D

Heatherxxxx

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.