Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

We've just had a BFN (last Thursday) - I'm struggling a bit now and can't face another 6 months being as miserable as I was after our cycle was cancelled last April. I have some St Johns Wort tablets I got as a free sample and was wondering if I should try them. Has anyone else found they helped? And I know they can interfere with the pill - will they have any effect on my hormone levels, as mucking them up is the last thing I need!
Thanks for any info.
Jaq

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Jaq

i am not a huge believer in St John Worts for various personal reasons so i cant answer your question there

but have you tired calling the smaritans in the mean time? you dont have to be sucidial to ring them, they are all trained counsellors and no waiting as such and almost free , its a cost of a local telephone call or if you ring from a phone box they will call you back ? if you remember what a phone box is

and it would bridge a gap until you see your counsellor

best of luck

Love Mini xx

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Hi Jaq

Sorry to hear you're feeling down at the moment.

In my experience of St Johns Wort, it took quite a long time to get into my system and have any effect so it probably wouldn't help you enjoy Christmas anyway.

As Mini says there are lots of organisations who are there just to listen if needs be, why not try one of them.

Sending you lots of hugs and wishes for the New Year.

Have a nice glass of wine, that might help you relax a little too!

Take care

Love, Rachel xx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Jaq

I'm not sure if you've found anything out yet but I've just come across your message.  Couples who are trying to conceive should not take st johns wart as it effects the eggs in some way.

I know what you mean about feeling miserable but I would try and find another way to cheer yourself up.

Good luck for the future.
Love
Rach

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Jaq
i had a BFN in October and like you i felt really down, i saw my gp who prescribed anti-deps but instead of taking them  I went for acu and TCM and the chinese dr told me she'd put certain herb in to counteract depression. Anyway it worked, she also told me the herbs were safe to take when ttc. If you cant stand the herbs maybe try the acu.
i hope you're feeling better soon
CaseyX

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Jaq hun, I'm so very sorry.  It's really rough, I know.

I'd try some acupuncture too, and perhaps some other 'feel good' therapies, like a massage.   I've found acupuncture really good for keeping perspective. It doesn't stop you feeling sad, but it does help with coping.

best of luck and a big hug,

Claire xxx

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Just wondering from anyone who is using St Johns Wort for depression if it has helped?  I'm going to buy some tomorrow but still undecided whether to take it or not.  Will continue my research and sit on it (so to speak).  Would be interested to hear your views though of people who are using it or who have in the past.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Hiya, Im wondering if anyone knows if it is ok to start taking St Johns Wart while undergoing treatment.
In the past, occasionally I have used them to give me a 'pick me up' when feeling down in the dumps.
Im due to start down regging on Thursday and feel reaaly low. Im scared I think but the overall feeling I have is isolation. Not necessarily with regards to IF (as I have you wonderful FF ^bow^) but in my life in general

Would ST johns Wart do the trick or is this a normal response to starting treatment???????

Lol

Mae

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think its a normal response top treatment. But re St Johns Wort - I was told not to take any herbs whilest during ICSI and I think this includes St Johns Wort.
xxx

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hi, Nikki- i was taking this for a while after i got my last bfn. I was only on it for two weeks tho as i found out i had an ulcer and i wasnt allowed any other meds while on strong anti biotics. I found it relaxed me a bit but that could also have been because i was off for easter hols at time . I was considering full anti deps but was encouraged to try these first. Think you really need to be on any meds for about a month before you see a difference.

I am now doing chinese acupuncture and taking chinese hormone stuff- only on it two weeks so will wait and see.

sorry no help xxx

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Thanks for replying though hun, hope your chinese acupuncture and chinese hormone stuff helps - let me know how you get on. x

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Niki
Just a thought - you can also try Rhodiola (solgar etc make it; tablets from holland and barrett or health shop).  It definately helps with depression, and "balances" your emotions and feelings making it much easier to cope.  I remember from when i was usuing the Solgar range you can take up to about 6 a day (I used to take about 3 and they really worked) Dont take them after about 5.00 in the evening or you wont sleep!  I have used them and have "put" many of my friends on them during emotional times and almost everyone has reported feeling better, more calm etc .....  You should feel something after a few days and much better after 2 weeks - perhaps worth a try????
They are totally non toxic etc - but you must make sure you get a good make as there are some dodgy brands out there with not the full power!
You can do a google search on it if you want to read more, or just ask and i will try write some more if you interested. (There is some interesting research around the use of rhodiola with astronauts etc ...... )
ps (Not sure if you can take it if pregnant....)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi NikkiUk

From time to time I do use SJW and, for me, it most definitely works. 

I use it if I'm feeling excessively  ^eyes^ or  ^tantrum^ -ish and within 2-4 weeks I'm back to being all  ^banana^^Exercise!2^.

It's not chemically addictive and I stop taking it as soon as my equilibrium is restored.

Good luck!

flipper

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I really dont think it would be a problem (perhaps ask at a health shop)- but really give the old rhodiola a go - it really is worth it if you feel better ......
let me know how you get on if you do take it .....

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Safarigirl have decided to go with St Johns Wort for a couple of months, see how I go on that, and then try Rhodiola for a couple of months too - try and feel/see the benefits of both equally.

·
Registered
211 Posts
hi Nikkiuk
when i was feeling down a few months ago i went on 5htp you can get them from holland & barrett.When i went to buy it i asked the assistant which was the better between 5htp & sjw she said 5htp because it works quicker,sjw can take up to 4 weeks to start working and 5htp starts in a couple of days,i thought it was really good
Debbie

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Hi Nikki,

Have you checked out http://www.whatreallyworks.co.uk Its an independant guide to complimentary and alternative therapies. I think they have info on St Johns Wort and 5htp on this site.

Take Care
Audrey

/links

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Hi Nikkiuk, I have been taking sjw for about 5 months now and have really noticed a difference with them, I was taking them with 'Kalms' but stopped taking these because sjw does the trick without anything extra.  All my friends say I am calmer and Dh dosen't get his head biten off half as much  ;D
I take 3 tablets a day and thats works for me.
Hope this helped
Chantelle x

1 - 20 of 59 Posts