Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello boys,

DH and I have one daughter, conceived with ease 3 years ago, and have now been ttc another child for about 2 years.  Apparently my tubes are great and his sperm is fab so it's just unexplained infertility at this point.  We expect to start IVF later this year and DH is really worried about how we'll both react to the stress.  He's especially worried about the side-effects of the drugs I'll be taking -- like whether I'll have mad mood swings and bouts of depression.  He and I have both had depression in the past so we know how crap it can be, although fortunately we also know how to recognise it and handle it.

For those of you who have gone through this already -- how did the drugs affect your wives/partners during the IVF cycles?  Did they turn into hormonal nightmares?  Were there awful physical side effects?  Any input much appreciated by DH (and me!).

Many thanks,

Glasgow xxx

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Glasgow,
My DW and I just completed our first ICSI treatment cycle.
I understand your fears about side effects of the drugs. We too were worried how it would effect her. DW has been ill with various other illnesses for a while and the last thing she wanted to do was pump herself full of drugs.
I have to say the clinic didn’t really explain all the possible side effects - I got most of the information from the FF website.
As far as I can gather, the drugs affect everyone differently.
In our own experience, the side effects were kept to a minimum. Contrary to what most people seem to say, DW had no ill effects during the Synarel nasal spray. We also used the Gonal F pen and that’s when she began feeling nauseous and drained all the time. She had those feelings right up until ET.
As for mood swings, they only ever swung down (if you know what I mean), never up! LOL.
I’d be lying if I said she didn’t experience bouts of depression and frustration at the whole process. At times it was very hard but we got through it by telling ourselves it would all be worth it in the end.
It wasn’t the easiest of times but it was never so bad we couldn’t deal with it. Like you, we tried to recognise the signs and tried to deal with it sooner rather than later.
Unfortunately we got a BFN a couple of days ago and are preparing ourselves for the next step. We’re better armed with information and experience of the process this time around.
Sorry for rambling, I hope it was of some help.

Good Luck

St8rk (a fellow Weegie)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
St8rk, thank you very much for your reply.  It's really good to hear about other people's experiences.  By any chance, are you receiving treatment from Dr Yates (at the Nuffield or the Royal)?  We've been seeing him at the Nuffield.  I have been pleased with the service so far but would be glad to hear your comments too if you're in the same boat.

Really sorry to hear about your BFN.  I hope things go better for you next time.  I'm kind of trying to view our first cycle as a "trial run" -- I guess it's easier if you can avoid getting your hopes up (I know, much easier said than done). 

Take care
x

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, we're attending the Nuffield, but Dr Haxton is our consultant. I've heard good things about Dr Yates though.
It's kind of been up and down at the clinic, to be honest. Some nurses are more helpful than others, while others seem a little blase about the whole thing.
We seem to see someone different each time we go, which makes it harder, but I guess they have so many people attending it would be impossible to maintain any sort of continuity of care.
I get the impression that they expect you to know exactly what the treatment consists of. Several times, we would turn up for an appointment not having a clue why we were there.
The information we received about the drugs - and the fact we had to order them ourselves - was a bit sketchy and nearly resulted in us not having the drugs on time.
But overall, it's been OK and the care DW received when she was in for EC was outstanding. They really looked after her that day.
The only advice I would give, is to read up on the treatment as much as you can.
You'll find more useful info on FF than the clinic will ever give you.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hiya

Just wanted to pop on and say hello to some fellow glaswegians!  We have just finished our first cycle of IVF under Doc Yates at the Royal and am pleased to say we got a BFP!!!  Still in shock!

So sorry to hear of your negtive result but wish you well with whatever you decide to do next!

Sending positive thoughts your way.

Take care

Love

Karen xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.