Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello girls, I have just started off on the long road of  adoption, we went to our first info evening last nite. They were an independant agency but they only seemed to have older children, we would love to adopt two children probably as young as possible. So I think our only chance is our lc who aren't having an info evening until at least 6 months. I am just so frustrated with everything why does everything take so long. But now I think that this is our only chance to be parents. Can anyone give me any advice about whether we should go for an agency or our local council any help would be really appreciated

LOL Keli

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Hi Keli

Unfortunately the adoption process can be a lengthy and frustrating one, patience is an essential requirement.

As for the advice on which agency, unfortunately it is often a case of trial and error or recommendation from people who have used the agency/authority.  You haven't said where you live.  If you post on our main thread "Startin the Journey", you might find someone else in your area who could offer a bit more advice.

Cindy

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Hi Keli

Welcome to the group. As Cindy says it can be a long and frustrating journey, took us 21 months from start to getting our girls.

Everyone is different about whch route they've chosen to take i.e. LA or agency. here's the link to the BAAF site which details a section about chossing an agency.

http://www.baaf.org.uk/res/agencydb/index.shtml

Good luck to you. As Cindy says we have a main thread where we have a list of people on their journey and all post our news.

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29725.0.html

I'll add you to our list.

Karen x

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hi keli,

Don't be put off, there are ways of getting moving. We were advised that if we wanted a baby to go with LA which we did, they are local to us but are part of a consortium of 10 La's so that means your report goes out to all 10 which widens the net. Also you can choose any LA you like with in a 50 mile radius so phone round as many as possible.

We began our journey with and info evening on the 10th of June last year and will bring our little man home, age 9 months on the 10th of June this year :) so exactally 12 months from start to finish.

Where do you live? I am in the north west and would recomed my LA and could PM you if you like.

Good luck.

Mandyxx

·
Registered
191 Posts
We have just started looking into adoption.  Called our LA yesterday to ask for an info pack, only to be told they are not even taking applications right now as they are inundated with prospective parents.  Whilst I knew it might be along journey, I wasn't quite prepared for that ! 

They suggested I call back in October as they are going to review the situation then but, even if we were allowed to register then, the wait to even get onto a course is 2 years. 

Has anyone got any advice on where to go from here ?  I was thinking of calling the neighbouring LAs but fear it will be much the same as this will be  what everyone else will have done !

Louise

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Louise

As mandy said you can go with any agency within a 50 mile radius.  we had problems with our county LA but the neighbouring one was able to progress our application.  Alternatively you can go through an alternative agency.

Good luck
Karen x

·
Registered
191 Posts
Karen

Thanks for the advice. I have contacted the 2 immediate neighbouring LAs and although they are much smaller & don't have as many children (our LA is a big city one) the news was slightly more positive.  With one I was told that if I wanted to be considered for under 5s I should call back in September as they are not taking any more applications at the moment. A course in October was mentioned which is better than my own LA which has a 2 year waiting list just to get on the course.  I've written to quite a big LA which I'm hoping is still within the 50 mile radius but have not heard back from them.

Does anyone know which independent agencies are worth contacting ?

Louise

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.