Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I wanted to ask a question of all you experienced Mums out there! I'm sure I'm analysing this too much but I feel abit confused! My baby is 6 weeks old and mainly bottle fed on SMA gold from the cartons (at the mo). When we want to go out for the day, what do we do about having a sterile bottle with us? We use a steam steriliser at home. Can we just put a sterile lid on a sterile bottle and take that out,opening it to put in milk when required? Also when we shortly  change to powdered milk, what about the water I need. I read on the instructions that you need to let the boiled water cool for 30 minutes before adding the powder. How does that work when you want to go out and about as  obviously you need the water with you? I'm sure I'm being totally thick about this but I know things have changed in the world of formula ie only making up bottles as you need them etc. Can anyone pass on their pearls of wisdom as at the moment I'm legging it out the door in between feeds!!

Thanks alot

Angela 

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hi hun,

Im not sure about the ready made cartons as i dont use them, but with the powder, i just sterilse my bottles and fill with water and leave on the side till they are needed. any bottles of water left after 24 hrs get discarded. Then i add the powder when needed.

If your out and about, you can always find somewhere to warm your bottles, or you could try giving them at room temp, we do this with Lewis, so much easier as you dont have to worry about warming the bottle.

Hope ive helped,

Nikki xx

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Hi Angela

You've got it right, with cartons of formula just sterilize the bottle as normal, pop the lid on and put it in your bag to fill with milk when you are ready (just make sure you take a clean pair of scissors with you ;) ) I have used a few cartons and I've just given them 'at room temperature', to be honest I didn't even think about finding somewhere to warm them ???

If using powder while out and about you might find it easier to invest in a powder dispenser (I didn't know these even existed when I was at your stage!) Here's a link to the one I have but there are other makes

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1059518&classificationid=1034958&slmRefer=000

You measure out the powder for up to three bottles in to 3 separate compartments so that you can just tip the powder into the water and bob's your uncle!

Hope that helps!

B x :-*

/links

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for taking the time to reply girls, thats cleared things up for me! At least we can start going out and about more now. I keep being told different things about making up bottles as the advice seems to have changed over the years  ^idiot^! Oh well!

Thanks again and have a good weekend  :)

Angela xxx

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Angela
I've just split this out from the topic header as a new thread for you  ;)

Claire x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts