Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Girls,

I seem to be getting confused with all this sterilizing stuff........please help!

1) When bottle has been sterilized, (no water or formula in it) ready for a carton whilst out, how long is it safe to keep this way?

2) After bottle being sterilized, with boiling water in it, where should it be stored and how long is it safe to keep?

3) When powder added how long and where to keep?

4) If any of these stored in fridge do I need to warm up before baby has them?

Thank you in advance!!!

Emma
xx

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Emma I think I know the answers to these questions (put it this way if I get any wrong I'm doing it wrong myself :-[ )

I was told by people here and the health visitor that once you sterilize the bottles and put the lids on etc they remain sterilized for 24 hrs after which you should re-sterilize them. Therefore the answer to no 1 is 24 hrs. The answer to no 2 is the same, I was told that you can make up all your bottles for one days use but if after 24 hrs some have not been used you need to redo them.

no 3 - my formula carton says that once you've added the powder the milk can be used for up to 2 hrs then it should be thrown away, so I guess check your powder's packaging. For that 2 hours I would just have it where ever I needed it so at room temp (I generally throw any unused milk away after an hour too.)

no 4 - I don't keep the bottles of boiled water water in the fridge but if I did I would warm them up first (I do this for EBM that's kept in the fridge, formula I just give at room temp)

Hope that helps (and that I've got the answers right!)

B x :-*

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Hi Emma

same as B - answer to number 1 is 24 hours
2. I just keep matts on the worktop or in his bag when out and about. No need to chill if its just water.
3. Although carton says 2 hours current health and safety guidelines recommend only keeping the milk for an hour then discarding
4. Depends on individual babies taste some like chilled some like warm. Word of warning though, if using powder I find aptimal has to be added to slightly warm water otherwise it doesn't mix well and a lot of powder remains on side of the bottle. Ready made however is fine at room temp

hope this helps a little.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Hi Emma,

You'll probably find that everyone does something slightly differently, but this is my 'take' on it........

1. For me, sterilising is about making sure the bottles are completely clean and free of any remnants of milk, therefore once they're clean they're clean until they're used again. However, I got into a cycle of resterilising after 24 hours just so I knew which had been used and which hadn't.

2. I always filled the bottles and left them on the side until they were needed. As said above, if any were unused after 24 hours I'd chuck them away and start again.

3. I only ever left bottles for an hour at room temp for an hour after mixed with the formula but as BG says, check the cartons as it may say differently.

4. I would warm if they're kept in the fridge, but if you can get your LO to have their milk at room temperature it makes things easier in the long run. If you do store made up bottles in the fridge make sure they nearer the back and not in the door because the back has a steadier temperature.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
I'd say much the same as the rest
1 24hrs

2. 24hrs we kept the water on the side till needed

3. I was told 1 hr and NEVER reheat in that hr

4. depends on baby if you can get them to have them as they come saves a lot of messing warming bottles DD took hers at room temp straight after the milk was added to water kept in kitchen side

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
hiya, here are my answers:

1.  once sterilized they are sterile for 24 hours (obv with the lid on!)

2.  24 hrs again once the boiled water has been added.

3.  once formula has been made up it should be discarded after one hour.  

4.  it's so much easier just to make the bottles up with the boiled water and leave on the side until required.  the baby then gets in the habit of having room temp bottles so if you are out somewhere and cannot heat the bottle up, the baby is happy with this!  of course, this is all up to you and you may prefer to give your baby warm milk.  i think at bedtimes that is probably really comforting :)

hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
I do much the same as everyone else,

1) 24 hrs

2) 24 hrs, and leave on side till needed

3) On my carton of formula it says to discard after 2 hrs, so i would check your packaging as some may be different.

4) We give at room temp (so much easier) but if i was to store in fridge i would warm a little to take the chill off

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks girls....that's helped.  Breast feeding wasn't this complicated!!

Outspan, I too am using actimel and have noticed that there is a residue of powder on bottles, will try and add to warm water in future!

Love Emma
x

G

·
❁BG2007❁ said:
Emma I think I know the answers to these questions (put it this way if I get any wrong I'm doing it wrong myself :-[ )

I was told by people here and the health visitor that once you sterilize the bottles and put the lids on etc they remain sterilized for 24 hrs after which you should re-sterilize them. Therefore the answer to no 1 is 24 hrs. The answer to no 2 is the same, I was told that you can make up all your bottles for one days use but if after 24 hrs some have not been used you need to redo them.

no 3 - my formula carton says that once you've added the powder the milk can be used for up to 2 hrs then it should be thrown away, so I guess check your powder's packaging. For that 2 hours I would just have it where ever I needed it so at room temp (I generally throw any unused milk away after an hour too.)

no 4 - I don't keep the bottles of boiled water water in the fridge but if I did I would warm them up first (I do this for EBM that's kept in the fridge, formula I just give at room temp)

Hope that helps (and that I've got the answers right!)

B x :-*
We do the same for our twins too. The bottles are all filled up with water and stored in a dark cupboard and always used within 24 hours. We keep 2 bottles of plain cooled boiled water for the occaisional overnight calm down and if they aren't used, the water is tipped away (or given to the cats!), the bottles re-sterilsed and re-filled. Formula powder is then added at the required time.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
I was told by someone that if your having trouble getting the powder to mix, to roll it rather than shake it, never tried it so have no idea if it works or not but maybe worth a go

Nikki xx

G

·
Dakota - it is a good idea to swirl / roll the bottle around, especially if you have gaviscon added as well. to avoid blocking the teat with powders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts