Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

I've got my follow up appt tomorrow after my 1st failed ICSI cycle and am interested in asking about using steroids in my next cycle as I have an auto-immune disease.  I was wondering if anyone can give me some info about the differences between Prednisolone and Dexamthazone?  I've read different threads where both these steroids have been used in cases of AI but not sure why one would be used for one and another for another.  Any info re side effects for each would also be welcome.  Thanks so much - as you can imagine I'm racking my brains for q's to ask tomorrow  ::)

Thanks alot
Cass
x

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Dear Cass

Prednisolone and dexamethasone are both steriods but just work in different ways and have slightly differing duration of action it will depend on your clinic re their favoured TX

5mg of prednisolone =750mcg of dexamethasone

I can only talk from my experience i have been found to have rasied NK cells and have been started on prednisolone 25 mg daily since EC i have had no side effects of note so far i am on 2ww
I also have raised anticardiolipins so need asprin and clexane

You do not say what AI problem you have

Dianne

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Diane

Thanks for your quick reply.  Sorry - I have something called Ankolosing Spondylitis which is a kind of arthritis.  I manage it with anti-inflams but need to get off these and onto a steroid so the anti-inflams arn't in my system but start of next tx.  I hope that my consultant will support me in this - but I wondered which steroid would give less side effects if I need to be on them for a few months?

Thanks again

Cass
x

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Cass
I know my clinic seems to favour predisolone not sure why, but i do know it is also more suitable for longer term use as well so maybe that is why ??

Dexamethasone is more useful in very high dose therapy in conditions where water retention would be a disadvantage ( cerebral oedema)

Good luck for your appointment
Dianne 

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi

I was on Prednisolone for my last fresh cycle (neg) as I was to have slightly raised NK cells. I was on 30mg daily but did not have any side effects that i can remember.  For my next cycle the doc has decided not to put me on them again as they are not a proven factor in pregnancy rates and are also only really to be used for arthritis as they are an anti-inflammatory. They also state on the packet not to be taken in pregnancy and noone at my clinic has had any more success while on these tablets. You can view the statements from the HFEA on their website. Altough the nurse this week did say that they shouldn't harm an embryo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.