Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Can anyone explain how I can have a high fsh (16.7) which is pretty bad and a high AMH (32.3) which is apparently very good!
I just don't get it - which is giving the best indication of egg supply/ quality?
Grateful for any advice..............
Jx

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Jane .. I am moving this to peer support in the hope that you get some feedback.

Bels x

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
I was begining to think no one cared!
Jx

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
/bump

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
I'd be interested in this too - am trying to get an AMH done!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Hiya,

I think that FSH indicates how well we are likely to respond to the drugs (I believe that under 10 is preferred) and AMH indicates egg reserve - I could be wrong here ladies............. and obviously I am not medically qualified, BUT following my AMH test (which is very low :( 2.6 :() I was told not to expect any more than 3-4 eggs from any tx cycle......... on each cycle I have produced between 6 and 10 follies and had 3-4 eggs (apart from my 2nd cycle on which I had 10 follies and 10 eggs, but at that point we didn't know that we needed ICSI and so our fertilisation was horrendous - only 1 fertilised :()

I believe that AMH is constant... but that FSH can fluctuate from month to month... so I would guess that having a high AMH is better than having low FSH :-\

Good Luck ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Reality xx xx

p.s. If I am wrong on any of the above... please feel free to correct me :)

p.p.s I don't think that AMH is tested for on the NHS. I believe that it is a relatively new test and quite costly... plus - allegedly - the test a tad controversial because it is relatively new..... not sure where i read/heard that.... just wanted to mention it :-*

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
Just checking - you haven't got PCOS, have you? Because that can falsely elevate AMH.

If not, then that AMH value is really good. of course, the only real test is to go through a cycle and see how you respond.

FSH fluctuates, so it's not the end of the world - I have low AMH (0.69 last May) but normal FSH (4-5) so I'm a weirdo too!

You can try a few things to get that FSH down, which will probably help with a cycle. One main one is wheatgrass - but search for other remedies.
The other thing is to cut down on the stress if you can - some people swear by acupuncture (I can't stand it!)

The high FSH could be an indicator of quality issues, so do a bit of research and get that down if you can before cycling. But with that AMH you should have plenty of eggs to choose from!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks girls
Reality - thanks for your explaination, that makes things much clearer! The AMH test cost 153 pounds!!
Miranda - I don't have PCO, Ive read that a score over 40 can indicate that too
I also had a scan done to look at follicles and I had 9 on one side and 5 on the other. I asked the sonographer if I was going to start getting hot flushes in 14 months ans she said no. I don't really understand how this scan works either - I'm sure it will all be explained when I meet with the doc to discuss it all............. although if anyone knows I would be interested.............
Jx

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
jane70 said:
Thanks girls

Reality - thanks for your explaination, that makes things much clearer! The AMH test cost 153 pounds!!

Miranda - I don't have PCO, Ive read that a score over 40 can indicate that too

I also had a scan done to look at follicles and I had 9 on one side and 5 on the other. I asked the sonographer if I was going to start getting hot flushes in 14 months ans she said no. I don't really understand how this scan works either - I'm sure it will all be explained when I meet with the doc to discuss it all............. although if anyone knows I would be interested.............
Jx
I know hun :eek: v.expensive... I had mine done as part of a package of bloods that I needed done before embarking on my most recent tx and it was nearly £200 just for blood tests :eek: Still, knowledge is power eh hun, at least you will know how to deal future tx - I wish you every success :-* :-*

Love, Luck, Babydust and Rainbows

^Heart^ ^spot^ ^reiki^ ^fairydust^ ^rainbow^

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Reality
Thanks..........and I forgot to say congratulations on your bfp!! It looks like you've had a long journey to get to it so you definately deserve it! It's the best feeling in the world - enjoy it all!
Jx

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Jane - Thanks hun..... :-* :-*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts