Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Still refusing the bottle

859 views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  janinec 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Not sure if i'm in the right place here...

O has refused the bottle for 5 weeks now  :-[ . I've tried EVERYTHING from different bottles, teats, cups, DH feeding him, me leaving the house, diff formulas, EBM etc.

Has anyone got any suggestions of how to get him to take the bottle? I've posted on the HV section which has been great but wandered if any of you have been through the same thing.

I'm hoping to start working soon so am desperate!!

Thanks,

Pooks xx

#2 ·
personally I would keep at it, stick with one bottle/teat as could be confusing otherwise. when you say you left the house, how soon did you come back after he wouldn't feed?

My daughter was breastfed until 15 months, and she would only take the bottle if she was good and hungry and I wasn't there. She took a cup fine from 6 months on.

#3 ·
Pick one teat or cup and stick with it - its learning a new skill and bub will take time to catch on. If they are hungry they will eat!!

Alternatively have you tried using a plain old open glass? Amy used to drink like a kitten from it - literally lapped it up!

#4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I've been using the same bottle/teat for most of the time but trying a different one now and then when i think its been ages and its not going to work. I've been doing it for almost every day for 5 weeks now. The only times he's taken a bottle was from me when he was 5/6 weeks (which was fine) and 9 weeks, around 2 oz, that was twice, do he does know how to do it. I think maybe when i tried to give him formula he was put off the bottle completely!

I'll try a cup but most childminders/nursaries will only take them if the are bottle fed.

Pooks xx

#6 ·
Since Xmas!!! Blimey. You poor thing, yes its really tricky. I'm completely stumped. I've stopped the past 3 days and will start again on monday cos it got to the stage where he would cry just looking at the bottle  :(

#7 ·
yes i know what you mean, my littleun gets upset when a bottle comes her way, is better with a cup but takes tiny amounts,
a while back i tried going cold turkey, breast fed in the morning and before bed only for a week, and offered bottles all day long, by friday she had been up every night, very unhappy, constipated, not napping in the day and then less wet nappies so I relented went back to boobie throughout the day as before and everything was fine again, I thought if she gets hungry enough in the day she will take the bottle, but she didn't, she just got more unhappy and unwell so i have been giving her breastfeedign and offering cup at every meal

#8 ·
Hi Pooks,

I gave Zoe a bottle a day at 6 weeks and she gagged on it, i tried everyday for 4 or 5 days then DH gave her the bottle and didn't realise that i no longer used infacol and gave her that then dput the bottle straight in her m0uth and she took it.  We had to put a drop on her toungue several times during the feed and this carried on for about a week then she took the bottle without infacol. I don't think changing bottles works we did that but Zoe will now take any.

I mentioned it to a midwife friend who said she'd done the same except she had smothered infacol all over the teat.

good luck

Kathy

#10 ·
Thats great news!! what good progress!!!  ^milestone^

Kathy, i have a very fussy boy here and hates everything but boob. he doesn't need infacol, we gave it to him in the past and he spat it out and screamed.

No progress here, given it a rest till the week end. Will let you know how i get on.

P xx

#11 ·
hi pooks, thanks xx
I think its just time with these booby milkaholics, my schmoo definately wouldn't entertain bottles or cup a week ago, and suddenly it seems to be falling into place, don't know if i am in any postion to advise ! but all I can say is keep offering but don't push it or they seem to get more adverse to it if that makes sense ????

#12 ·
O has just taken 4oz of formula from the bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was watching tv the whole time...must have been the distraction that worked  ^idiot^

I'm sooooo happy, i hope it continues!!

#14 ·
spoke too soon, he wasn't having any of it today. screamed and screamed.  :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.