Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of either cutting down on b/feeding or stopping altogether but can't make up my mind. On the one had Jacob's weight gain has never been brilliant so at least by bottlefeeding I'll know how much he's getting. Also we don't really have a feeding routine and I'm still doing nightfeeds, sometimes 2/3 times, but on the other can I be bothered with having to warm bottles all the time as b/f is so convenient. So to those who have stopped, I have a few questions.........

1. At what point did you decided to stop breastfeeding, what made you decide to stop and how long did it take you to come to that decision?
2. How long did it take for ^witch^ to return?
3. Do you regret stopping feeding when you did?

Any words of wisdom will be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Hiya Chux... I am still breastfeeding my girls but am slowly cutting back and replacing some feeds with formula. It is probably a bit easier for me though as the girls are on a 4 hour routine during the day now and they sleep through the night with a dreamfeed at 11pm.
I would recommend reading the baby whisperer book by Tracey Hogg. This has loads of tips for routines, sleep patterns and weaning etc. It has really helped me. Maybe try and get Jacob on a routine first and then you can start introducing bottles gradually?

I always said that i wanted to breastfeed for at least 3 months so I was pleased to get this far especially with two! I do really enjoy breastfeeding now though so it is quite hard to give it up especially as it is so easy compared to bottles (hate washing them up!! grr!) but I have decided that I want my body back (well in some format anyway!) and I want to be able to have more than the occasional glass of wine once in a while! I am planning to swap all breastfeeds for formula by the time they are 6 months (i think!!) :)

My AF actually returned last week when I was still breastfeeding so I think everyone is different (or maybe I'm just unlucky!)

good luck anyway!
Nicxx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Nic,

Thanks for replying and WOW for feeding two for this long!! I should have said Jacob does have SMA as a top-up a couple of times a day, but as yet it hasn't actually replaced feeds. The HV told me a few weeks ago that I should get Jacob into a routine but when he's screaming for food it seems cruel to not give it to him just because he's not due a feed for another 30 mins or whatever - if I'm hungry I eat so why shouldn't he, especially as I can't even explain to him why I'm starving him!! Did yours fall into a routine of their own doing? Is the routine relatively 'new' or have they it from very young? Has their weight gain been good? I guess that's the other reason why I feed him regardless of when his last feed was because his weight gain has been so erratic.

I did try and introduce an 11pm feed thinking that would timeshift him and he'd go through the night, but he'd take this and still wake at 2.30 for more. I spent three nights giving him a dummy instead which would put him back to sleep for 15-30 mins, but then had to give it up as I was completely knackered.

Like you I enjoy breastfeeding but I do wonder if I'm doing it more for me and it's actually not the best thing for Jacob, only I'm very aware that once I stop I can't restart.

With regards to AF, I did read that it can return once night feeds are cut out or there is more than 6 hours between feeds.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
hiya Chux- sorry haven't replied sooner but me and the girls have been really sick this week and i haven't had the energy to even post on here!

I started trying to implement a routine at quite a young age, partly because they are twins and i knew i couldn't cope without one to be honest. We started doing a wind-down session early evening which consists of bath, bottle, bed at about 6 weeks and this has really helped establish their routine going forward as they kind of fell into one from there onwards. They were on a 3 hour routine during the day until they were 4.5 months old and now they are on a 4 hourly routine so they have a breastfeed at 7am, bottle at 11am, breastfeed at 3pm and bottle at 6.30/7pm. I am not strict with the timings but this is approximate and I have just started introducing some solids at the 11am feed.
They were quite small when born but have stayed on their percentile lines, or a little above so I guess their weight gain has been steady. I do think swapping some breast feeds for bottle has helped with making them go longer between feeds. I think it takes a baby longer to digest a formula feed than a breastfeed.
I'm actually thinking about cutting out another breastfeed shortly especially cos i think my milk supply has dwindled a bit whilst i was ill - i was soooo dehydrated cos i couldn't keep anything down! :(

As I say though I would really recommend the baby whisperer book for more advice (or the website) as this is where i picked up my routine tips.

hope i have helped some and good luck with whatever you decide to do! am sure Jacob will continue to thrive!

take care
love nicx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Nic,

Sorry to hear you haven't been well - that must be tough especially with twins to look after.

Thanks and yes, it has helped. I'm particularly interested in that you've managed to alternate a b/f with bottle as yesterday I attempted to discuss it with the HV. I said I was thinking of either giving up or at least cutting down on the b/feeding and she immediately cut in and said 'you don't want to do that'. I tried to continue the conversation but she just said I'll dry up if I don't give him the boob at every feed. No if's, no but's, no why's. She wouldn't even enter into a discussion about it which really pee'd me off as Jacob obviously isn't thriving with me feeding him - he was in the 95th centile when he was born and has now slipped below the 50th.

As you have successful alternated feeds I'm going to try that. Tonight I've tried to give him baby rice but he just sat there with a look of disgust on his face which was quite amusing!

One other thing - have you noticed a difference in your girl's poo?! Today Jake's was greeny/grey and much thicker than normal (sorry tmi). I'm assuming it's because of the formula but does it sound normal??

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Hiya Chux

have you tried the NCT breast feeding counsellor for advice they are brilliant

The NCT Breastfeeding Line: 0870 444 8708
This line is open from 8am till 10pm every day, including weekends and public holidays. The line will automatically try three breastfeeding counsellors and if none of these is available will put you through to someone who is on duty and has made themselves available to take calls. Should she already be talking with a mother you will be offered the opportunity to leave a message. Messages are usually returned within the hour but this may take longer at busy times.

good luck

Mini xx

Mini xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mini,

No, I haven't tried the NCT the reason being that they are pro-breastfeeding and I want to know about cutting down/giving up. I spoke to a La Leche counsellor a couple of months ago when I was having problems and she was hopeless....basically said what everyone else had in that every baby is different and do what you feel is right. That's all very well but I don't know what is right!

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Chux

the NCT is pro breastfeeding but they are also there to help with cutting down giving up - they are not there to advice they are thre to counsel and give you practical help in acheiving waht you want

many of antenatal group have cut down /given up with the help of NCT breast feeding counsellor

just tell them you are going back to work early - they will help honest

Mini xx

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
hiya Chux - i can't believe your HV!! :eek: she doesn't know what the hell she is talking about! ^idiot^
Your milk supply doesn't dry up just cos you drop a feed. once your milk supply is established (which it should be by the time your baby is approx 3 months old) you can give up your feeds no problem and your boobs will just fill up before the feeds that you do give (if you see what I mean?)
honestly, sometimes i wonder where these people get trained? they think they know it all (and ok some of them do) but to not even talk about it is ridiculous! she should be more supportive.

my girls weren't too impressed with the baby rice on its' own either. Try mixing it with some apple or pear puree.

poowise, yes the girls poos were a bit greener and more solid after introducing formula! i think anything is considered normal when it comes to baby poo apart from if it is mucusy or really pungent which could indicate diarrhoea (which the girls have had this week with us being ill and it was gross!)

let me know how you get on with dropping a feed!

take care
love nicx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Nic,

Tell me about it re. the HV. She's meant to be phoning me tomorrow to find out how I'm getting on with the baby rice so maybe I'll broach the subject again. Dh doesn't see why I need to talk to her about it anyway, I should just stop if that's what I want to do.

I tried the baby rice with apple and banana puree mixed in and he didn't pull faces like before but he's still not quite worked out what to do with it. I do seem to just muddle along and can easily spend an hour feeding Jacob only for him to be chomping for more an hour or so later.

I just feel that if I bottle fed him I'd be able to get some sort of routine going on and he'd be better off for it. Gosh this parent lark is hard isn't it?!?!

Chux xx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.