Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stopping smoking

9K views 92 replies 12 participants last post by  Jayne 
#1 ·
Well tomorrow I am stopping the dreaded weed again!!! 1st time this year though and I am determined that this time I will succeed  :mad:..
anyone else want to join me in my quest and help keep me company??

why does it seem so scary to stop? It has always been my crutch, but I hate the need I have and the smell and the taste and I could go on about all the things I hate about it, but somehow I always end up falling of the wagon  :'( :'( :'(...

BUT NOT THIS TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Positive thoughts

Debs
xxx

#2 ·
Congrats on stopping again Fidget, its bloody hard.  My last cig was New years Eve just gone at 2am and I've still not had one - I did it this time with Nicorrete Inhaler - was soooooooo hard but after the first 3-4 days it does get easier honestly.

Think  ^reiki^, expect the first few days are going to be tough but don't give in, take it day by day, keep busy, rant and rave to me all you want ok, and I wont keep my fingers crossed cause you are going to do it.

^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

#3 ·
Thank you Nikki........

am using patches again as I did quite well on those about 9 years ago.... I had hypnotherapy 18mths ago and that worked for a month, but again fell off..... this time I am nailing myself on this wagon and if I fall off I wont get pg so that will be my positive thought!!!

this time it will work... I hate the bl**dy things so why would I keep poisoning myself??? I must be mad!

Debs
xxx

#4 ·
Hi Fidget
I am just like you!!!  And have once again stopped this week (I stop and start so many times!!!)  But I have decided that I have to commit to this baby making process and not smoke at all!  I also like you feel like its my crutch - I had got my smoking down for the last year, when i was smoking to 4-5 a day but I still find it hard to completely give up!  Anyway its been 4 days without smoking and to be honest I havnt been thinking of it toooooo much - its the day that i decide to give up thats the worst - i absolutely think about it all the time ....  The funny thing about smoking with me is that when i smoke i hate it, and when i dont i love it and think about it!!!
let me know how you go and we can be a support to each other ...
I have read allen carrs book and i gave up quite easily one time wiht that, also gave up successfully with hypnotherapy ... but i then do something silly like have a few drags here and there, and before i know it i'm back to buying a box ....

#6 ·
Argggggggggghhhhhhhhh wrote this really long post and lost it  ^eyes^

Hey Safari,

that is soooooooooooooo me hate it when doing it and love and miss it when stopped how risdiculous!! for once i would really love to be a typical ex smoker... you know the ones who hate being around anyone who smokes and moan about it constantly  ;D ;D ;D. I always swore I wouldnt be like that, but I think I know understand why they are like it... so they dont get tempted!!

Well I have stuck the patch on and so far seem to be doing ok.. have had the odd 'could do with a smoke' but have sidetracked myself by thinking about babies...  :-\ wonder if I am going to become obsessed  ;D ;D.

anyway what a fab idea lets help support each other  :).

Let me know how your getting on, your doing so well  ^pompom^ ^pompom^

Debs
xxx

Nikki,
you posted as i was writing this... so far so good!

Thanks

Debs
xx

#9 ·
:) :)

well day two here we go............. seems to be going ok, havent had to many twinges....

Am on my own today so may get worse as day goes on, but am going to keep myself as busy as possible so I avoid the nasty weed and the nasty food habit I usually pick up  ^eyes^.....

Hope your doing ok Safari?

Debs
xxx

#10 ·
Hi fidget congrats on giving up im starting tomorrow this will be my 3rd attempt so hopefully third time lucky hey i seem more determind this time though so all should be well

Kerry xxx ;D

#11 ·
Hey fidget
Just come back from a long day out walking and looking at shops - and then i read in the observor that walking everyday leads to more success in giving up smoking than just lying around the house ... so walking for me from now on...
no ciggies over the weekend, and actually havnt been tempted - I have made a deal with myself that until i know whether i have fallen pregnant or not i will not smoke (if i end up not having children then i can smoke myself into oblivian one day!!!!) - but for now i am going to do everything i can to maximise my chances so that at east i can say i did everything i could. I must say because i have made this decision it has been much easier and i have not been tempted !!!  But i still do think mmmmmmh wouldnt mind a camel right now!!!  But i dont have that desperate feeling for a ciggie when it seems that all i am doing is playing mental games in my head.  Anyway I havn'tt smoked for 6 days now so most of the real cravings going .... and apparently it takes 21 days to break the habit - hope you are doing well.  Fidget i am just like you, much harder for me when I'm on my own. ...
anway if you feel the need to give in send me an IM and i will try and talk you out of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We can do this
Kerry lots of luck for tomorrow - will be thinking of you - i used to have this funny thing that i would never give up on a monday  but alwasy a tuesday - of course that was in my party animal days and i was just to tired to have to think then about giving up!!!
Good luck to both of you and will pop in here on  a daily basis to see how everyone is going ...

#12 ·
Hi safarigirl congrats on 6 days lol love your monday thing lol im more worried about next weekend as im of out so god help me always seems worse nm hope all is well xxx

#13 ·
He Fidget and Kerry hows it going ...
Kerry if its your first day today just persevere - it really is the hardest!  I usually just try and go to bed early so as not to think about it!!!  Drink lots of water which will help as well as eating slow release energy foods e.g. bananas; protein things like that - often when we spike our sugar levels, e.g. caffeine; sweets etc it seems to bring with it a cycle of craving - might not be the case for you ....Kerry i Know its hell to think of the weekend coming up - but as everyone says one day at a time and by the weekend you will have a week of not smoking - and then (like me now - you dont want to smoke and start all over again!!!!)  Some people have said that it helps to change your alcoholic drink so if for e.g. you normally drink wine then have a vodka -
tell your friends you are not smoking and ask them to support you that night - and have a blast!!!!!! 
Thinking of you - keep posting so i can support and offer any help!

#14 ·
Hi safari girl thanks for you advice i normally eat tomatoes as they dont put weight on i wont mind the weight part if im accepted for egg share and get pg but untill then that my major worry  i have not been too bad today i went out to my friends for afternoon to break the day up she was nice a smoked outside bless and its her house i have found its normally day 2 and 3 thats my hardest

Kerry xxx ;D

#15 ·
Hey Safari/Kerry

Well day 3 and doing well  ;D. have not really had any cravings today... it helps that I have patches on for now, but I can't believe  how easy this has been this time, am sure its because I have two great things to work towards... hopefully getting pg naturally therefore saving myself a fortune, and my darling DP told me I could get my new car for stopping.... and if I start again he will take it off me.... so there is NO WAY I am going to be somking now  ;D ;D ;D

Hope we are all doing ok and enjoying the lovely smell of ourselves these days  ;D ;D

Keep up the good work

Debs
xx

#16 ·
Hi lol better not start again then else the new car goes lol its a good thing though will keep you away from  the cigs though wont it lol good luck girls lets keep going

Kerry xxx ;D

#17 ·
Fidget - thats great!!!  A car you lucky sod!  So glad you are feeling o.k. - i really think part of this giving up is a mental thing - because i have told myself (quite firmly) that i am not smoking it is so easy ... the other times i have given up, i have always allowed myself a little leeway - not sure if it makes sense -but because i know i cant smoke its so much easier, i am not playing the mental games with myself ... i still have the odd thought about a ciggie,but it goes quite quickly,
lets keep posting and supporting each other .... i'm sure that will help as well..
have you noticed how many people smoke!!!  Every time i give up it seems as if the whole world is smoking!!!!!!!

#18 ·
Hi Peeps,
Well I am here. Thanks for all the support from you on the other thread. Hopefully I will beable to support you here.
Well it has been a week now and things are getting easier. I was at work tonight with someone who chain smokes and didnt really think about wanting a cig. There were times but not too many thankfully.
I have my counsellor coming round on wednesday to measure my carbon monoxide (i think) levels so that helps to as I dont want to be a failure.
Just by taking one day at a time I am finding really helpful, and each day of not having a *** I circle it on my calender so I can see the progress.
Anyway, I am off now for a cig, no Im not I dont smoke anymore...lol.
Speak to you soon
Congratulations to you all for giving up!!!!
Lisa

#19 ·
;D ;D ;D

I am lucky  ;D although I am paying for it, but he says that if I am not smoking I can afford it.... I have wanted this one for over a year so I think I have waited long enough... (i was never a patient girl until I became infertile!!!! so I guess you could say thats one good thing that come out of all this in a strange sad way  :-\)

Stopping smoking is a mental thing over everything else...  have you noticed I am calling it 'stopping'?? I was told by my hypnotherapsit last time that your are NOT giving anything up, you are STOPPING something that is actually bad for you.. for example, would you continuosly put needles in your self if they hurt?? (Hang on I have my first acupuncture appointment today isnt that the same thing??  ^roflmao^) in all seriousness though, we are now non smokers and have stopped the evil habit....

Lisa

welcome and well done we can all do it with each others support.

its amazing how I now notice the smell on other people.... My god did I used to smell like that  :-\. its awful isnt it??

I am so glad we are all finding it easier this time, they do say the more often you try to give up, you have more of a chance at success as each time you fight the demon you come out stronger and know your trigger points... like getting stressed at work/going to the pub etc............

Keep going girls we can do this.

Debs
xx
^pompom^ ^pompom^ ^pompom^ ^pompom^

#21 ·
Hi everyone - its 8 days for me .... yippppeeeeeeeeee!
Hope you are all doing ok today ...
I had half a tub of ice cream to celebrate  ^evil^

#22 ·
^bow^ Safari well done hun!!! (not so sure bout the ice cream tho  :p)

Well am still going strong...... hoep everyone else is ok.....

What a crap horrible day its pouring down here  :( still i spose it is April after all)

Debs
xx

#23 ·
Hi girls glad your all doing well i have had a bit of a naughty min today should have found out today if i could egg share but still wont know till god knows when and i had  a ***  im really dissapointed in myself  :'( dont know what came over me

Kerry xx

#24 ·
Hey Kerry  ^Cuddle^

Its only a slip up hun, dont beat yourself up about it, you didnt say whether you bought a whole packet or just pinched one from someone?

Just let go of it... we all slip up and as long as you get back on the wagon you'll be ok hun..

You can do it... at least you know another of your triggers now eh!

Dont give up or beat yourself up too much

Debs
xxx

#25 ·
Thanks love i just pinced one just a moment of stress lol nevermind it could be worse could have been a packet

Kerry xx

#26 ·
Exactly........... I think the minute you buy some you have lost that day... so well done on not buying any.. and its only one we are only human and its natural in times of stress to reach for our crutch... we just have to find a new healthier crutch to lean on  ;D ;D

Dont worry you can do it  :)

Debs
xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.