Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

Can anyone help me.  Im probably going to be starting ivf around septemeber time this year.  Anyway, must be going through a midlife crisis but going to have a small tattoo on my foot in a couple of weeks.  Can anyone tell me if this has any affect on ivf at all as I dont know.

Also, can anyone tell me when I should get the hiv tests done.  My gp wont do it but im sure if i go to the GUM clininc they will for free, does anyone know if they will then in fact let my GP know the results?

Hope you are all well

Thanks

Debsx

G

·
Hi debs

we had our HIV tests done at the local GUM clinic for free they tell you the results over the phone but we had to pay £50.00 to get them to issue it in writing.

don't have any advice about the tattoo??? hope you get sorted with the tests xx

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi Debs,

I'm due to start IVF in Oct 08 and I also have tattoos. A requsite is that you have a HIV test before treatment and I had my HIV, Clamydia etc tests at a local GUM clinic months ago which was free, but they charge £35 to get a copy of results. I don't believe these will be sent to your GP as my GP are not aware of these tests and will have to make copies and give these to my GP separately or request the GUM to send them so that I have all of my tests in one place. A GUM will only inform your GP if you've been found to have HIV from what I've heard...

As for the tattoos query, a reputable tattoist should be using clean, new needles for every person (it's included within the price). I don't believe having a tattoo will negate your chances whatsoever. I'd be more worried about the pain  ;D

For HIV tests, I'd have them done anytime before August, that way you will not be panicing if the results takes ages to get back (I believe it took 2 weeks for mine).

I hope this helps....

Good luck,

Secret Broody,
x

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Hi there

as the girls have said, you can get the HIV tests done at your local GUM clinic
but i have heard of girls being turned away when they have said they are for IVF, so it might be worth keeping quiet about that bit
you dont want to have to end up paying for them if you can get them done for free
my GP did mine so i was lucky, and the results took 1 week to come through.

as for the tattoo, im sure it wont have any effect on tx, any of the ink that gets into your blood stream
will be gone by the time you start tx
just mention to the tattooist before they begin, if you are worried, im sure it will be fine though hun.

good luck with your cycle
love Danni x x

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for your replies, ill go get the hiv from the gum clinic.  We can both go together.

Didnt think a tattoo would make any difference but just wanted to check.

Thanks again and good luck to you all

Debsx

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

I've actually just replied to someone else about getting HIV & Hep tests done....we've had them done twice at our local GUM clinic.  You do need to request the results in writing though as they would usually phone you and your clinic will require in writing for their records.

Take care
Natasha

·
Registered
377 Posts
As the others have said...you can have the test done at your local GUM clinic...

Regarding tattoos...  my friend has 6 tattoos and has had 8 cycles of IVF.... so it hasn't been a problem for her.

xxx

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Hi,

I just had a tattoo done on my foot a few weeks ao and am hoping to start tx in July, i really dont think it matters, as someone has said as long as its a good tattooist, you should be ok, thy use clean fresh needles for every person. Good luck!!! Its so worth the pain! ;)

Could you not go to your local GUM clinic and get tested? I had the tests done prior to tx, but ours was nhs funded so did not pay anything

Lisa xxxxx

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I had a tattoo done about 3 months ago and will asume its had no effect on my tx.

I had every single test i needed at my GP. HIV Hep B&C, FSH chromosome, CF Gene & DP had HIV & Hep B & C. I must admit at first he was reluctant but i told him i cannot have NHS funding because i do not live in that 'special postcoded area' So its the least the NHS could do for me (this saved me about £300) Bless him. I must be lucky and have a nice GP he simply wrote on the blood test form "Screening for IVF" and listed all i needed. I did call my local GUM clinic before this & they said it would be fine to have HIV and Hep B&C and a copy of results would be £35.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts