Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone with any advice please on the following situation:-

I am a staff nurse who was working on a ward where the patients are 80% self caring and perhaps are only in hospital for a short time or overnight observation.  I aksed if I could work long days ( 2 in total) to help me work around my IVf cycle next month.  I have to travel for the treatment.

I got told no.  The next thing I know is that I am being asked to move to another ward for 3 months!  This other ward being very heavy as 80% of patients are elderley ladies, bed bound, incontinent and confused!  Plus on this ward i would have to take charge most days where I don't do that on the ward I am supposed to be on. I did inform them that I will be doing IVF when I asked for the long days so I cannot understand for the life of me why they have put on such a heavy ward where there is a lot of lifting and stress of running the ward!

To top it off the letter I had to confirm the move didn't say 3 months on it and so I asked for another.  It came today but says it will be reviewed after 3 months.  Surely this means they can keep me there!  I have worked on this ward before I know I will not want to stay there even though they keep telling me its good experience.  I feel I am being fobbed off!  I go on holiday in five weeks time and start d/r on holiday.

I am off sick at the moment and don't know whether I should voice my concerns to head office as it were or just stay off sick for 3 months or even leave the NHS altogether.  I feel the more I kick up a fuss the more it will go against me.  HELP  :'(

NNxx

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi i am nurse myself so i understand the pressures you are being put under. I would speak to your head of department about a move to somewhere else. If they cant accomodate you on your own ward i would ask for a transfer to somewhere like outpatients. Speak to your union but i am sure they cant just move you if you dont agree to it, regardless of the ivf. Dont sign anything yet. Also what about speaking to occupational health. This does sound like discrimination to me. What grade are you by the way??

The other option is to apply for a job elsewhere and leave or do agency. xx clare ( hope this helps until someone official comes along)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks claire

I am a Grade E by the way.  I am going to speak to the head of the division tomorrow and voice my concerns and I don't intend to sign anything.

They did move the staff nurse before me without his consent but at least he was asked first but even when he said no they still said he had to go.  Our contracts state that we can be moved from time to time so they have got us.  No one minds the odd shift elsewhere but 3 months??

If I get no joy tomorrow I may have no alternative but to leave.

Thanks for the advice.

NN xx

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Hi nightnurse

Sorry for delayed response.  Did you speak to your head of dept today?  Hope you did and you got on OK?

Love Sue
xxxxx

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Yes sue spoke to the powers that be and they have allowed me to stay put for three months then review the situation.

I have a job interview tomorrow though so hopefully will not get to that stage  ;D

Love NN xx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.