Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a supplement that a man can take to improve the ability of his sperm to bind to the egg? Martina  :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi Martina, I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you but I'm interested to hear of any if they come up.  DP is taking multi vits for men in preparation for his reversal and I'm taking sanatogen pro natal, I have heard that taking evening primrose oil helps the sperm swim and keeps them alive longer but not sure how true that is, will be looking into that more...

Laura
xxx

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Martina,

My DH had a real low count, motility and high abnormal form - 1st test Dec 07. Since then he has been attending acupuncture once a week (is one one of those 6 month courses) also taking chinese herbal meds. The one that they have given specifically to increase sperm quality is called SHENJINGGUBEN WAN. reviews on the product seem to be positive. He has also been taking selenium, zinc and maca (be careful not to take too much selenium as it is not good to take too much).

We were a bit sceptical about the whole thing really, but did another SA this week and the count increased by 5 mil, rapid motility from 0 to 46% (amazing)  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: and not much difference on the morphology however a slight increase of 10%.

Also just to note that he had stopped smoking for a year now, completely changed diet oh and the all important loose underwear :) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

We were gonna go for ICSI but think we'll wait for a bit longer and if no BFP sson then at least we can now be considered for IUI.

Hope this has helped

L
XX 

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you to Laura and Louise for the replies.  I have also heard that Ginseng, Arginine and Carnitine are good.  What are the bad effects of excess Selenium? M

·
Registered
460 Posts
Not sure about the selenium, have you been on the complimentary therapies board, I think its that board anyway could be wrong  ^idiot^ but there is a board with lots of advice on supplements etc.  I've been having a nosy through there and apparently although evening primrose oil is good for the sperm you should only take it at certain times in your cycle as it causes contractions, just thought I should tell you this as I had mentioned it.  Have bought some Ginseng now too!  :)

Louise those really are amazing results, well done your DH!! ^clapping^  Where can we find out more about these chinese meds?

Laura
xxx

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Does anyone know if too much ginseng is harmful?  I've bought some for DP without realising there is ginseng in the wellman vits, I've heard that in any case you should only take it for a few months and then stop for a month?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Just wanted to add that our clinic (Care Notts) is warning against any chinese meds as it can be harmful.

They found several cuples had problems with their IVF when previously they had had good fertilisation rates. All were questioned and the only thing these couples did differently was to take chinese medications. Also, chinese meds can be high in certain heavy metals which can be harmful to your health.

They say acupuncture is fine to do, however.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts