Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My OH had a vasectomy 17 years ago.  We are hoping to go through ICSI treatment soon and obviously my OH will need SSR.  We've got an appointment for consultation with the urologist next month to discuss the options for this, whether PESA or TESA will be required.  I'm thinking that because it's been so long they'll opt for TESA which isn't a problem. 

I just am panicking that they don't find any sperm after so long and am hoping you lovely people will reassure me with some positive stories!  DP has two kids who are now in their thirties so it was definitely there at some point!

Jen  :-*

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Hi Jen  ^wave^,

Just wanted to pop and say hello. I am in the exact same situation to yourself  :-\ My DP had a vasectomy nearly 10 years ago after 2 children with his ex wife they are now 13 & 15. My partner has his SSR on Thursday next week and to say we are both nervous is a understatment!

DP had to have some test's prior to his SSR to check his testicular function was ok under his active vastectomy. We were very pleased with the results they tested his FSH, LH & Testosterone levels which were 1.77, 2.06 & 15.2 We have been assured that these results are very good (the lower the FSH & LH the better) No doubt your DP will have these tests done also aswell as HIV, HEP B & C. At our clinic they try both the PESA TESA & something else all at the same time one after the other which is great money wise as we will not need to go back to anther procedure should the initial one fail. I do not know if this is a standard thing to do all we have basically been told is that they will try and extract fluid from his epididasmis (excuse the spelling) if not they will take tissue and try and find some that way.

Will will be going for ICSI after DP's sperm is banked and i will be sharing half of my eggs with a unknown receiptant to help reduce the cost aswell as to help someone else that is hoping for a child.

Hope this helped somewhat, I am sure lots of people will come along and tell you of lots of positive stories but the good news is that there are lots of great stories and lots of babies born from TESA/PESA with ICSI.

Good Luck on your journey.
Nicole xx

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Nicole and would be nice to hear how the SSR goes.  At our clinic I think they make a decision about PESA or TESA because they do the TESA somewhere else because it's under general anaesthetic.  We managed to get HIV, Hep B and C at the GPs.  Maybe they'll do the other tests at our consultation next month.  Am soooo nervous.  Good luck with yours!!!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
hi jen,

just want to wish you and dh good luck with the ssr. i am sure it will be fine. try not to worry too much.

keep us posted.

kat xxxx

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
Hi Jen!

You can see from my signature that aspirated sperm has every chance of working - even after that long!

My DH swore by tomato soup - it's meant to improve the sperm.

The best of luck.

xxxx

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Not a vasectomy reversal I'm afraid, but my husband had NOA/azoospermia due we think to a bad mumps infection as an adult.

His testosterone was low, his FSH was high (not good!) and they managed to find sperm from TESE.

Good luck.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hello Girlies, My hubby had a Vasectomy about 14 years ago (previous marriage) he has two children from that marriage, in their twenties.  He had vasectomy reversal in 2005 which was unsuccesful, then went onto have PESA at the Bridge where they got 7 lovely vials of sperm.  There is a guy at our work that was in exactly the same situation, however when they went to asperate sperm there wasn't any little swimmers so they carried out TESA, which is like a biopsy.  Him and his wife have a lovely little 4 year old now called Charlie. 

You'll see from my profile that I've had 2 x fresh and 1 x FET, but I've since found out that i've got immune probs, thyroid probs, MTHR probs. 

Good luck, you'll be fine so don't worry, it's amazing what they can do now, they can almost always get something from him! 

Shellosh x 

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your reassurance!  nice to hear of successes.  Am sure we will be fine but just wish that part was all done and dusted. 

Jen :-*

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Jen,

My DH had a vasectomy must be 15 years agoish when in his 1st marriage, he had an unsuccesful reversal, then SSR at Coventry CRM.
They couldn't retrieve any via aspiration so they took a biopsy (big ouch for him) which has produced 6 vials. From what I have been told they usually find something albeit immature ones lurking in the tissue, it takes a long time to heal though took DH a good 8 weeks  :eek:

It remains to be seen whether we get any success with the retrieved goods but everything crossed  ;D

Good luck, hope you get a good outcome  :)

Wanda
x

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hello,
My DH hasn't had a vasectomy but has had TESE and they only got 43 sperm which were frozen and as you can see ICSI worked 1st time for us and I'm 32 weeks pregnant.  Please try and be positive good Luck!!

Beckles
xxxx

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi ladies. just want to say ^hello^ and that I have just had a read through your stories and I'm sitting  :'(..... these stories give me such hope. My DP and I are waiting for a date for him to have a biopsy but we're in real discussions as to whether we stick with the NHS for now or go private straight away. His first SA showed really low sperm count. DO you think it would be worth starting the ICSI cycle and him having TESA? What happens if we get that far and they find nothing there? We need to be sure there is something to use.... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHH :mad:
Beckles.....your story is especially amazing...only 43 sperm and check you out girlfriend.... Hope you don't mind me asking but what was the result of your partners SA prior to ICSI. Was he confirmed as having azoospermia? Did he have chromosome testing and what were his hormone levels like? Sorry for being nosey but the consultants throw so much stuff at you, I forget what I need to ask until I get home. NVB xx

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love all these stories too.  Feeling positive and keeping fingers crossed.

nvb - My clinic aren't going to start my treatment until after TESA/PESA and they've got DP's sperm (hopefully!).  They say there's no point in me going through everything if we don't get any sperm.  Think they freeze it and defrost when it's needed.  What treatment are you hoping to get on the NHS?  We weren't eligble for NHS coz of DP's vasectomy which is why we are private.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi,

No I don't mind at all you asking!

My dh has a natural vasectomy...He was born with no vas deference or epidermis so his SA was 0.

What usually happens is they try PESA first which is the needle in to the testicle and if they can't find anything that way then they go on to do TESE.

Beckles
xxxx

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi there!  Was just reading through this thread again coz with a week to go until SSR I am starting to panic about it all and how I'll cope if there's nothing there.  Howz everyone else doing?  And would be grateful for more success stories please!!!

Jen xxx

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi Jen,

My DH has azoospermia and had a successful SSR (TESE). I remember very well the agony of waiting to find out if they would find sperm so feeling for you now. You will see that there are lots of successes on these boards for men in your DH's situation, everything crossed you'll be adding to the list soon! Good Luck!  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Louise x

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Louise!

Just wish it was all over and then I could move on one way or another.  Got everything crossed!

Jen xxx

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Jen - Just popping back to see how you had got on but noticed you still have a few days to go... God i too remember the last week it was horrible... Try to relax and stay positive.xx

·
Registered
398 Posts
hi jen,

I know it must be hard, try to stay positive.    ^pray^  your dh has lots of  ^HappySperm^.

Let us know how you get on.

kat xxxx

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Fingers crossed for you.

My DP is a carrier of the CF gene hence no sperm.  He was offered SSR and was dreading it. We were both expecting them to say there was no sperm but we were so wrong. They found lots. They dont swim very well but they dont need to be olypic swimmers when you have ICSI!

We are just starting tx, im on day 11 of D/R and are looking forward to the future.

So, hope it goes well for you

Your DP will need lots of TLC and hopefully he will do the same for you when the time comes.  ^hugme^

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Hi Jen,

My DH and I found out yesterday DH has azoospermia. There was 2 sperm in the 1st sample and 0 in the 2nd. Weve now been refered to an Andrologist for a biopsy so just waiting for the appointment.

I know how you feel, we are both so frightened there wont be any sperm and we are still trying to come to terms with everything as it was only yesterday.

I really really hope it goes well for you next week, make sure you come back on and let us know how it goes I`ll be looking out for you.

Take care

Megan x

1 - 20 of 96 Posts