Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
301 - 320 of 347 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve heard good things about Georgia and know that International Donor agencies prefer using Georgian clinics over the Ukraine. Not to diminish people’s experience and success in the Ukraine, because there are some great success stories. But there are some pretty shocking horror stories Too.. Google the Italian couple who’s child born via surrogate in Ukraine. Truthfully, I have no personal experience of surrogacy but my own personal experience of treatment in the Ukraine was horrific. Especially if you’re seeking non-standard ivf treatment. It’s an unregulated and unaccountable industry there.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
@JeffieH - I am sorry to know about your negative experiences. Although from what I have read nobody knows exactly whether this story about Italian couple is true. Unfortunately, competition among IVF clinics in Ukraine is too strong, and it isn't always fair. However, such situation is not comfortable for patients when we cannot check how realible the info and a clinic is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello everyone

We got another update from our ultrasound scan at 10 weeks, our little one is doing very well :) it now measures 40 mm, and heartbeat is 172 bpm, also we got an image from the scan, and it showed us a hand and a finger, like it is pointing, can't wait to meet our little baby in july  ;D
Next scan will be on jan. 14th, then they will do the nuchal translucency scan, fingers crossed that everything is ok!

We also got offered to do a Prena test, to see if something could be wrong with our baby, but we're not sure if we should take the test or not. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of test? Did you take it or not? I think it's called a NIPT too. This test is not included, so we have to pay extra for it. Any advice regarding the test will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
JeffieH said:
I've heard good things about Georgia and know that International Donor agencies prefer using Georgian clinics over the Ukraine. Not to diminish people's experience and success in the Ukraine, because there are some great success stories. But there are some pretty shocking horror stories Too.. Google the Italian couple who's child born via surrogate in Ukraine. Truthfully, I have no personal experience of surrogacy but my own personal experience of treatment in the Ukraine was horrific. Especially if you're seeking non-standard ivf treatment. It's an unregulated and unaccountable industry there.
I concur with the bad experiences in Ukraine. Thus far, I have nothing but negative experiences in Ukraine. So much to the point where I had to the sue the clinic for providing false information. Im keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out in another country.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi DuaneG, may I ask which clinic it was? We’ve had to engage lawyers in the Ukraine too. This started off as a civil case but our lawyers have also initiated a criminal case and notified the state prosecutor. It’s all becoming quite intense and I’m not sure I even want to go further with this. It’s not so much about the money but I’m really worried other women will fall foul of this crook. My UK fertility doctor feels if I can go forward, I should. But I’m so drained and exhausted and want life to move on. How have you coped with the insanity of litigating against the Ukrainian clinic?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi M81,

Congrats on everything working, it's really exciting and I'm delighted for you. The Prena test is worth getting, it will give you a better understanding of the babies genetic health and can help the doctors make better decisions during the pregnancy. It's called the Harmony test in the UK if you want to ask a local doctor about it. We opted for it ourselves.

We chose to work with New Life too and are expecting our little girl to be born in early April! We're over the moon now.

Happy to share our experience to date

M81 said:
Hello everyone

We got another update from our ultrasound scan at 10 weeks, our little one is doing very well :) it now measures 40 mm, and heartbeat is 172 bpm, also we got an image from the scan, and it showed us a hand and a finger, like it is pointing, can't wait to meet our little baby in july ;D
Next scan will be on jan. 14th, then they will do the nuchal translucency scan, fingers crossed that everything is ok!

We also got offered to do a Prena test, to see if something could be wrong with our baby, but we're not sure if we should take the test or not. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of test? Did you take it or not? I think it's called a NIPT too. This test is not included, so we have to pay extra for it. Any advice regarding the test will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
@aleksandrauib, M81 - I am happy to know your exciting news
@JeffieH, DuaneG - I am sorry to know about your negative experiences, and I wish all your dreams come true in 2020!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi aleksandrauib,

Thank you, and congratulations too you as well :) It's very exciting to have a baby on the way, and yours is coming so soon, I'm very happy for you!

I'm actually from the Faroe Islands, and only women over 35 get offered a NIPT test here, so I don't really know anything about it, and everyone I know here, didn't take the test since they were under 35 when they were pregnant, so I've been advised to not take the test, (our egg donor is 23) and so far we haven't. The baby is about 12 weeks now, and they will do the nuchal translucency at the next scan on january 14th. My husband wants to wait for the results of the NT scan, and then make a decision based on that. I constantly change my mind between taking the Prena test and not.

Maybe you're in Georgia when we arrive for baby pickup, have you found out where you're going to stay while in Geogia?

miamiamo thank you :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
M81 said:
Hi aleksandrauib,

Thank you, and congratulations too you as well :) It's very exciting to have a baby on the way, and yours is coming so soon, I'm very happy for you!

I'm actually from the Faroe Islands, and only women over 35 get offered a NIPT test here, so I don't really know anything about it, and everyone I know here, didn't take the test since they were under 35 when they were pregnant, so I've been advised to not take the test, (our egg donor is 23) and so far we haven't. The baby is about 12 weeks now, and they will do the nuchal translucency at the next scan on january 14th. My husband wants to wait for the results of the NT scan, and then make a decision based on that. I constantly change my mind between taking the Prena test and not.

Maybe you're in Georgia when we arrive for baby pickup, have you found out where you're going to stay while in Geogia?

miamiamo thank you :)
That's brilliant M81, hopefully the scan next week goes to plan. We got our scan results yesterday and everything is still going to plan :)

We're going to stay in Vake, having spent about 2 weeks in Tbilisi last year, it is probably the nicest area for a long term stay there we thought. We found the traffic pollution quite bad in Tbilisi so try and pick somewhere that isn't close to any of the big roads. We've booked to be there end of March through to probably June/July depending on how long passports etc take to sort out. Send through a direct message if you want to meet us while we're there.

If anyone has a good checklist they can share of things we should bring to or buy in Tbilisi for passports and most importantly the baby while we're out there I would be greatly indebted.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
aleksandrauib - great news. It was also interesting to read that Tbilisi has environmental problems, and it's great that you managed to find the safe solution.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow this thread has been quiet for a bit. Congrats to all that have had success with the process and good luck to others that are still trying. We took a break to live a little as the entire process got tiring and we needed some downtime.

Anyhow, we started off again and chose to go with a clinic in Georgia. There seemed to be too much going on in Ukraine so we chose Georgia instead (this was our preference so pls complete your own analysis to see what works for you). Since we already had embryos that were stored here in the US from our IVF processes many years ago, we decided to ship those to the Georgia clinic we chose. We agreed that no more IVF process for my wife and that if our current embryos did not work out then that would be it. We also have embryos that "were" stuck in India after the surrogacy ban there. We have just now been able to get the export approval from the Indian government to export our embryos from India. The process was sure frustrating but with the expert permission in hand, we now have to plan for the transport of our embryos out of India.

We transfered the embryos from the US to Georgia early December (it cost us ~4K USD). We let the clinic choose the SM, and our only requirement was for the SM to be healthy. Transfer was done late December with 2 embryos. The SM is pregnant and we got ultrasound yesterday  ^pray^. I must say we were not too stressed out this time around as the break did do us some good. The clinic had an agency arm so we had to work with them even though our preference was to avoid agencies. We do have direct contact with the Dr managing our SM so the agency is primarily focused on paper work which has been extremely frustrating but that's a story for another day. All going well, delivery should be in the August/September time frame.

Anyone have surrogacy lawyer recommendation in Tbilisi? Our agency contact has been a hassle to work with and we figure to get a lawyer to help sort out some paperwork. Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
HI Bdust

great to hear of your progress so far with the SM- i hope the ultrasound was amazing- can i ask where you are having your treatment?
Also, i have embryos stuck in India- can you send any details of  how you have moved them to Georgia?
thanks!
WaF

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi WaF,

Yep the ultrasound was amazing.

There is now an established process to request the No Objection Letter (NOC) from the ICMR in India through the Directorate of Foreign Trade. The detailed process is outlined here https://dgft.gov.in/sites/default/files/Trade%20Notice%20No.%2035%20dated%2025.10.2018.pdf Once you get the NOC, there are multiple companies that can transport from India. I was not able to find any local company within India (my belief is that they do exist and I have just not found them yet). Current estimate that I got to transport from India to Georgia range from $3K USD to $4.5K USD. We have already dealt with transport from the US to Georgia so have an understanding of the process and what to expect

There are a few items in the NOC request process that don't apply, like the online payment so skip that. Review and let me know if you have any questions. It took us about 3 months from start to finish and I had to call the offices pretty much every week to ask about status and nudge them along. It was frustrating at times but we were just glad that at least there was an approved process to follow as opposed to before where there was none.

Regarding the clinic we are using, I want to hold off on sharing the name for now as the engagement with the agency has been horrid. I want to give it a little while to ensure they are a clinic that I would recommend or not, before sharing the name so pls bear with me.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Bdust,

Sorry to hear you're having a problem getting the legal side of things sorted. We are working with NewLife and have had a fantastic experience to date. I'd be happy to put you in touch with the people we have been dealing with if you like?

Bdust said:
Hi WaF,

Yep the ultrasound was amazing.

There is now an established process to request the No Objection Letter (NOC) from the ICMR in India through the Directorate of Foreign Trade. The detailed process is outlined here https://dgft.gov.in/sites/default/files/Trade%20Notice%20No.%2035%20dated%2025.10.2018.pdf Once you get the NOC, there are multiple companies that can transport from India. I was not able to find any local company within India (my belief is that they do exist and I have just not found them yet). Current estimate that I got to transport from India to Georgia range from $3K USD to $4.5K USD. We have already dealt with transport from the US to Georgia so have an understanding of the process and what to expect

There are a few items in the NOC request process that don't apply, like the online payment so skip that. Review and let me know if you have any questions. It took us about 3 months from start to finish and I had to call the offices pretty much every week to ask about status and nudge them along. It was frustrating at times but we were just glad that at least there was an approved process to follow as opposed to before where there was none.

Regarding the clinic we are using, I want to hold off on sharing the name for now as the engagement with the agency has been horrid. I want to give it a little while to ensure they are a clinic that I would recommend or not, before sharing the name so pls bear with me.

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi aleksandrauib,

Thanks for the offer to connect me, very much appreciated. I called the US Embassy in Tbilisi for assistance, and they have been very helpful. Hoping things are resolved by next week. If I still need contacts after that, I will let you know. Its still very early days for us but would like your feedback on places to stay when we go to Tbilisi sometime late August

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
We thought Vake was the best area to stay in if you're there for a while. It's probably the closest to what you'd be used to back home. The old town is a little touristy and hit and miss for something nice. First time we were there we stayed at the Sheraton Grand which was a lovely hotel but quite far out of town. It's also worth considering avoiding places near the major roads as they are usually 4 to 8 lanes wide and kick up a reasonable amount of pollution as a lot of the cars are old and the city is in a valley so the smog can hang in the air.

Vake is quite nice, lots of modern cafes and restaurants along that neighbourhood. If you're getting an AirBnB there are decent supermarkets there too.

You should download the Bolt (i think its still going) taxi app on your phone. It's like Uber essentially. Unless you can read and speak Georgian it's the only way you'll get around we found. Official taxi's generally can't speak english so you'll really struggle to explain where you need to get to. Bolt just lets you search a destination in english on the map and the driver we just navigate there with sat nav.

Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

Bdust said:
Hi aleksandrauib,

Thanks for the offer to connect me, very much appreciated. I called the US Embassy in Tbilisi for assistance, and they have been very helpful. Hoping things are resolved by next week. If I still need contacts after that, I will let you know. Its still very early days for us but would like your feedback on places to stay when we go to Tbilisi sometime late August

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,

Is anyone else currently in Tbilisi?

We had to rush here a little earlier than planned to avoid Covid19 travel restrictions.

While here we wanted to reach out to any other couples here to see how we can support each other in these trying times.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi Aleksandrauib

I hope you guys are well in Tbilisi?

I’ve been thinking a lot about those IPs who’s babies are being born now or have been born during these times, so so difficult.

We had a ivf cycle last June with NL, which went wrong ( long story) and we are gutted, but had it have of worked, we would have been in a pickle trying to get to Tbilisi in time.

We were due to have another embryo transfer this month, but that’s now all on hold for a while, which again is gutting.

Has your little on been born yet? I do hope you meet some other couples currently out there, and you stay safe and well during this time. All the best.

WaF 😀

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
@ aleksandrauib - all the best luck on your journey and staying in Tbilisi

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi aleksandrauib

Hope you're ok and safe in Tbilisi. How are tings there currently?

And has your baby girl arrived???

Hopefully the Covid-19 crisis will be over soon! All the best of luck  :)

In other news, we are having a boy in july :D everything is great with him, but we're a bit worried about the whole virus situation. Also we couldn't get a 4d ultrasound, since apparently the 4d ultrasound places that NL uses are closed, but the most important thing is that he is ok!

301 - 320 of 347 Posts