Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I wondered if I could ask your advice?  My dh and I have numerous fertility issues and icsi is no doubt the best option for us BUT we have come to a point where we are ready to stop this but would like to give ourselves the best possible chance for a natural or iui based conception.  This comes with an acceptance that the chances are low  :-\ .  You'll see the issues on my profile but the main one I wanted to ask about here is varicocele repair.

At the beginning of our journey, we saw Mr Ramsey who believed he could feel a varicocele although it wasn't seen on ultrasound at our local hospital.  At the time, hormone levels were normal although further tests in 2008 showed some issues there. 

We are aiming to get the various tests repeated and to discuss whether medication and/or varicocele repair are worthwhile.  Dh's latest count was about 5 million with low motility, and tests positive for anti-sperm antibodies (85%).

Does anybody have any experience of varicocele repair?  Or has anyone been advised against it etc?  We are also not sure whether to go back to Mr Ramsey as I am not sure whether he does microsurgical repair which I understand is the gold standard now.  Any info on this would also be appreciated.

Many, many thanks in advance,

Katz

^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hi

I am looking into this atm for exactly the same reasons as you. I had twins from my first ICSI, DH sa's have shown counts ranging from 600,000m/ml to 9m/ml with motility ok but very low morph. Initial investigations showed sub clinical varicocele and a small hydrocele on his right epididymus. The urologist thought that surgery would not increase his fertility. After the twins we managed a natural conception but m/c at 9 weeks (that was tough going) and since then we have tried ICSI 5 more times and had no success. This last time I had all the immune meds thrown at me as well but still no BFP. Our embryo quality wasn't great this time either and the lab put this down to a poor sperm sample.

My DH does not want to have any more ICSI's (which makes me feel very sad :'( ) so I've been reading about ways to increase our chances naturally. On the US websites, varicocele repair seems much more popular and there has been quite a few natural conceptions. I emailed Mr Ramsey and he replied saying that he would need to see my DH before rec surgery  (at least I know he does do the surgery) so I'm having some time out from all the treatment and we possibly will go and see Mr R later in the year.

Please keep updated with your journey  ^hugme^

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Louise,

Sorry to hear of your experiences, I too have immune issues which just adds another layer onto the situation.  ^hugme^

DH saw Mr Minhas last week and although he wasn't massively optimistic, he did suggest a few other tests to find out whether there was anything that could be done.  These are DNA fragmentation (which we've had before and was normal but he wants to repeat); sperm aneuploidy; karyotyping; and a testicular scan to check whether the varicocele appears to be causing heat damage to the testes.

In terms of repairing the varicocele, Mr Minhas prefers radiological embolisation, I think partly due to the recovery time etc.  This is interesting in that he does advertise himself as trained in microsurgical repair. But he also didn't think it would necessarily improve things.  We saw Mr Ramsey some years ago and he was a proponent of surgery over embolisation.

We're hoping to get the tests done before easter and see what that leads to.

Best wishes,

^hugme^
xxx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts