Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there does anybody if  its advisable to go swimming in early pregnancy?

cheers
Mary

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi Mary,

Have no idea but would be very happy to read the replies you get.  I went swimming... but had a m/c and don't know what to think.  Swimming always feels like it's working my abdominal muscles so I worry...

Celeste

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi Girls,

Due to my history of miscarriages I was advised by clinic not to go swimming until 16 weeks. As I had a pregnancy full of bleeds I didn't actually go until 37 weeks!! Felt so nice!

Good luck

Emma

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I was told no swimming for 12 weeks after IVF as there is a risk of infection where they have punctured transvaginally after EC, same for baths.  I think swimming when pregnant is a good thing as it is a gentle exercise and they have ante natal aerobics and classes for pregnant mums.  Good luck
L x

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm surprised some of you were advised not to swim. My clinic and my GP have both told me that its the best thing to do in early pregnancy!

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I think swimming when you have conceived naturally is good but I was told it was different for IVF as there is a surgical wound there.
L x

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi

I was advised not to swim until after 12 weeks due to the risk of infection.

I now swim 3-4 times a week  :)  :)

x x x

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Ladies
I actually asked my Dr today and she said sure go ahead and swim....that was the fiertility clinic dr...I think that I will play it safe and give it a miss...just in case..

Mary

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
You know, there is so much conflicting information around that some say do something others say don't.  My advice (after recurring loss) is that if there is anything that may cause doubt in your mind, don't do it.  That way even if it is totally unconnected you will not torment yourself as to that being the cause in case of something going wrong later.

It might seem over cautious, but not worth beating yourself up for at a later date.

:)

Jane
xxx

·
Registered
448 Posts
After IVF i was told not to swim until/unless we'd seen a heartbeat on scan. that didn't happen.
when i fell pregnant naturally two months laer i was told no problem to swim and we did see a heartbeat very early, at 6 weeks, so i swam on our holiday immediately following that.
i don't really swim though, more like splashed around...

·
Registered
304 Posts
With all this conflicting feedback it's hard to know what to think/do, isn't it?  On the day of embryo transfer I asked the clinic about s*x and swimming and was told: no s*x for a week, no swimming for 2 weeks.  Got my BFP, started swimming again and then got m/c. 

It's so hard not to be physically active during ICSI/2ww/pregnancy because you don't get that helpful endorphine high you so need during all this stress.  Not to mention, I've put on loads of weight in my 2 cycles and don't feel happy in my body...

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi

If it helps I also found that had I wanted to swim after I got my positive I was too tired to do anything  ;)  It was hard enough functioning on a day to day basis let alone thinking about going swimming  ;D  ;D

You have to do what you feel is right  :)

xxx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts