Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can anyone shed light on whether it is ok to swim in early pregnancy, I am not worried about the exercise element but the chemicals in the pool might be harmful to little bub.
Thanks
Jox

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was told it was fine to swim throughout pregancy.

To be honest I wish I was doing more but, I have been quite tired so havn't got as much in as I had hoped.

Congratulations!!!

xx

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi Jo

I was advised to avoid swimming until past the 12 week mark which I did.  

I now swim 3-4 times a week.

x x x

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Hi,

I wasn't told to avoid swimming at any point but waited til after 12 weeks mark just in case... we all know those pregnancy paranoias!

Now I do an aquanatal class twice a week and it is FABULOUS!! Just being in the water is great let alone the exercise... oh yes, and all the chat with other expectant mummies-to-be!  ^gossip^ Weightlessness is certainly a wonderful thing during pregnancy!  ;D 

So long as you have the support of your doc/mw I'd recommend swimming as often as you're able.

Congrats and good luck with it all.  :)
Trip xx

PS if you're still worried about absorbing chemicals through your skin it's helps reduce this if you lather on body lotion (a pregnancy-safe one of course!  ;)) before you go to the pool, and then soak yourself under the showers just before getting in the pool - this seems to reduce how much your skin wants to suck up the pool water - plus you don't get that lingering chlorine smell afterwards.  I always have a long shower directly after swimming too.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
i love swimming and i personally waited till i was 12wks..just wanted to get over the 1st hurdle

good luck x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts