Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all

hope you are all very well.

well i'm a newbie on this side of the singlies board and a little too cautious to post on the waiting for the first scan or bumps thread just yet...  i've had a bit of a journey getting here (as we all have) and am still in disbelief.  i wrote a post yesterday on the 'calling all single women' thread which tells my story of the past year.

anyway, as of today i am 9 and a half weeks pregnant and i just wanted to ask your thoughts on the swine flu jab please.  i had it along with the seasonal flu jab in november '09 before i was about to do a cycle, but have had nothing since.  in the past week i have asked my gp, my clinic and nhs direct about whether i should have it again or not and whether there is any danger in early pregnancy.  i got very vague advice which just confused me even more.  but i have just spent the past hour on the phone to nhs direct again and their advice is definitely to have the jab if you are pregnant, whatever stage of pregnancy you're in and even if you had it a year ago.

what are your thoughts?  have you had it?  and at what stage?  i just called my surgery and have an appointment to have the jab tomorrow - it seems the dangers of contracting the virus in pregnancy are worse than the jab - which they are saying poses no risk (from what they know).

thank you in advance for your thoughts and i hope to be joining you on a proper thread soon!

^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^  bpxx

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Hi bp,

I had it - think I was about 14-15 wks at the time. My GP and midwife strongly recommended it and I checked with Dr Gorgy (immune consultant) and he also seemed to think it was a good idea. Number of flu cases seems to be on the rise and although it's hard to know how much is media over-exageration vs real risk, I personally feel I did the right thing

There has been fierce debate on this topic on the BFP thread I'm on - with one or two ladies feeling very strongly that it's not been tested extensively enough and that you can't be sure there won't be long term effects on the baby and that it's therefore better to avoid it. However the majority seem to be for it and the midwives here on FF also seem to be recommending it quite strongly

I don't know if it's related to the fact I had the jab or not, or whether I've been lucky, but I have not had a single cold, cough, flu-like illness at all this winter which is quite unusual given how many people at work have been coughing/spluttering etc and how often I spend time with my nieces and nephew and their constantly runny noses!

Suitcase
x

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you suity. 

i feel very nervous about it but feel it's the right thing to do from what nhs direct have told me.  and in fact they passed me onto another organisation that you can't contact directly because of all the drugs i'm on who seemed more knowledgeable and helpful.  the virus is inactivated so they don't actually give it to you so it's got to be better than getting the virus itself.  i guess it's just the early stage i'm at that i'm more worried about - but then again i'm worried about what i eat, drink, wash my hair with etc. etc. so that's nothing new!!  ;D

thanks again and any more thoughts/info on if & when other ladies had it would be gratefully received before i leave the house tomorrow and take the plunge - literally!

bpxx

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hi Blue Primrose - congrats on your BFP!!!!

I too was in two minds about whether to get the flu jab or not - didn't know if it was necessary as I don't come into contact with a lot of people and figured I wasn't really at much risk. But then just over a week ago I went for a midwife apt at my local hospital and chatted to the midwife there about the jab. She was very much in favour of pregnant women having it...explained there had been quite a large number of cases of swine flu in my area incl. pregnant women, with some people ending up in intensive care because they were so bad. Her own daughter was 29 weeks pregnant and she had encouraged her to have the jab. I decided then that the risk was real and in my area and that if this midwife felt it safe for her own daughter/grandchild that was good enough for me!

However, she did say that she wouldn't recommend pregnant women getting the jab before 12 weeks because everything is so fragile up until that time. So if I were you I would perhaps wait a few more weeks before getting it.

I had my jab on Tuesday last week...and I've actually come down with a chesty cold within a day of having it :( Bit annoying really as I've not been ill in over a year or more, so I'm pretty sure it's linked to the jab. But I still don't regret having the jab.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Caramac - as I understand it, it's not a live vaccine so your current symptoms are unliklely to be related to the jab and just unlucky co-incidence....

Suitcase
x

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you so much for your thoughts (and congratulations!  :) ).

cem - i read your post and thought i'll definitely go for it, then caramac i read yours and thought oh what shall i do??!

i was going to wait until 12 weeks (fingers crossed - can't mention getting even to tomorrow without saying fingers crossed!) but am worried i am in real danger as i go on the tube etc.  also, it takes 10-14 days for the jab to work you so if i waited until 12 weeks i wouldn't be covered until about 14 weeks which is another 4 and a half weeks away.

i'm still unsure but feel that the right thing too do is to have it - if i got swine flu and ended up risking my pregnancy i would never forgive myself and would feel the hugest regret i hadn't gone ahead and had the jab.

any other thoughts to throw into the ring?

thank you again  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ .

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi BP,

Congratulations on your BFP - that's fantastic news! It's great to 'see' you again and to see you in this part of the singles board. I think, but I'm not sure, I had my jab at about 14 weeks pregnant - just becuase that was when I got the invite from my GP. I didn't have any ill effects apart from a sore arm. I was worried about it beforehand in terms of any possible effects, but I did feel that I would feel very vulnerable if I didn't have it every time someone coughed or sneezed. I've had two colds during this pregnancy (one a few weeks before and one a few weeks after) and both were very heavy so it really rammed home to me that my immune system isn't operating at it's usual level because I'm pregnant. In the end I decided that the NHS wouldn't be targeting pregnant women so heavily if they didn't think it was important and as far as I could tell, there didn't seem to be any reported ill effects from those who had the jab in 2009 when pregnant. 

Not sure if that has helped or not. It is also something that has also been discussed a bit on the twins and more bumps thread if you want to look at additional thoughts on this topic as well as the BFP thread Suity suggested. I think overall you have to decide what you're comfortable with and what you feel is best for you.

xx

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks very much acw  :) .

another thing i forgot to mention is that i'm on prednisolone (steroids) so my immune system is not great anyway, meaning i'm more likely to catch things.

i've been on the tube with a scarf wrapped round my nose and mouth and am scared to kiss anyone hello!!  i think it would be good to have the jab for peace of mind if for nothing else!

i spoke to a pharmacist at nhs direct and had to reel off all the many drugs i'm on but none of them interact with the jab which is good.  although they did say that the prednisolone may reduce its effectiveness a bit - and even at best the jab is only 70-80% effective (they don't say that on the news do they?).

thanks so much again.

bpxx

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
p.s. report on the one show on bbc1 about it right now!!

bpxx

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hi Bluprimrose

I'm so glad you started this thread because I'm having exactly the same dilemma!! I've been fairly convinced by what I've heard/read that I should have the jab. However like you, it's the stage of pregnancy I'm at that worries me. I'm 11 weeks pregnant and am thinking I'll probably wait at least another week (although it sounds ridiculous now I type it- I'm sure a week won't make much difference  ^idiot^) I just wish- and I'm sure you're the same- that I was a bit further on, I think I'd feel more confident about it then. I work with the general public so although I've been lucky not to have any 'flu type illnesses for a very long time I'm sure it probably is the right thing to do  :-\

What did the One Show say (I missed it)?

Anyway I've said on the other thread but congratulations again on you pregnancy  ^hugme^

Linz xx

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you linz  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ .

i was thinking of waiting too but i am pretty sure i am going to have it tomorrow.  when i called the surgery they fitted me in straight away.  if i wait i don't want to regret it and will just be waiting to catch it! 

it takes about two weeks for the jab to kick in so if you wait another week you won't be covered for 3.  it's so hard isn't it?  the pharmacist i spoke to said the virus can live for 24 hours on surfaces and 20 minutes on soft furnishings and paper (like money) - it suddenly makes it very scary even leaving home!!  she said wash your hands a lot (and i carry one of those sprays with me too).

bpxx

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Suity - yes I know it's not a live vaccine so there really shouldn't be any way the jab has given me my cold...but it's just such a strange coincidence! I haven't had even a sniffle in over a year and then one day after my jab I've got this annoying chesty cough/cold. It's definitely not flu though...just a bit of a cold and sore throat so I'm not too bothered by it!

Blue Primrose - I'm not really sure what I'd do in your shoes - whether I'd wait until 12 weeks or have the jab ASAP - you should just do what feels right for yourself though. I probably would have waited because I work from home and don't come into contact with many people (and would have deliberately avoided contact where I could) but if I had to travel on the train/tube then that's a different matter...I probably would feel the same as you and go for the jab early.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Hi BP
7th time lucky  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
I had the flu jab and was a bit worried too - but I didn't get any side effects at all and the baby is kicking away as I type.
Reb

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you.  :)

i keep thinking i've made up my mind to have it and then i get cold feet!

have to decide before my 2.30 appointment tomorrow...

bpxx

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi there,

I wasn't going to have the jab, but then with all the stuff in the media lately decided to have it and had it last week.  The nurse gave me the swine flu jab, rather than the seasonal flu jab. The swine flu jab was used last year with pregnant ladies and she said there had been no adverse effects in any of the women she immunised last year.

I have had no side effects, except a really sore arm for a couple of days.  I'm now really pleased I had it done.

Also in terms of Swine flu giving you cover - its starts to offer cover straight away, and full cover is in place in 10 - 12 days - according to my nurse.

Hope you are able to reach a decision you're comfortable with before your appt.

Smiling xx

·
Registered
408 Posts
I had decided against having it but then changed my mind as more cases were reported and when, like Crazy, I had a hideous cold and just couldn't shift it which made me think about how compromised my immune system is currently. So, I had the jab at around 28 weeks. When I phoned my surgery to book it before Christmas they squeezed me in for the next day or so, they were really keen for all pregnant women to have it.

I had a sore arm for a few days afterwards and have had peace of mind since...

Angel

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Smiling...that's interesting about your jab. When I originally booked the flu jab I thought I was just getting the seasonal one (didn't want the swine flu one at the time) but then after speaking with the midwife at the hospital I decided I'd get the combined one. When I went to my GP's surgery for the jab I asked for the combined one and the nurse said that that was the only one they were offering this year. The swine flu variant has been incorporated into the seasonal flu jab. Last year swine flu came along after the seasonal jab had been produced hence why there were two separate jabs (and people were worried about the swine flu one cos they felt it had been prepared too hastily). So what I'm saying is that I didn't think you could get just a separate swine flu jab anymore!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hi caramac

from what i've read, some surgeries have run out of this year's combined jab (which covers for 2 seasonal flu variants including bird flu and then swine flu too), so they are offering people 2009's swine flu jab.  some will have that left anyway i guess so they can give that instead of the combined flu jab if that's what someone wants.

i have 4 hours to make my decision!!  :)

bpxx

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have just spoken to my consultant (he called about something else) - he has advised me to have the jab.  when i asked if the jab could harm the baby he said there is no evidence showing that it does (i guess plenty of babies have been born after 2009's outbreak) and if i got swine flu there would be no baby...  i think i'll go and have it.

wish i would have had it a few months ago, but there was no outbreak then so i forgot about it!

thank you to everyone for your thoughts.  is anyone else under 12 weeks wondering what to do?

bpxx

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
BP big congrats!!! So happy for you  :)

It's such a hard one with the jab, I decided to have it in the end after looking into it and am so pleased that I did. I like that my two should also have some immunity too as a result. I was further on that you but tbh I think that it's a hard choice to make at whatever stage you're at.

Make sure you rub your arm after as I didn't and ended up with a hard lump that was quite sore for a few days.

bingbong x

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.