Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,592 Posts
Hi Active
I am interested in this too as we are trying to work out how to do it too  :) ^!
Dh reckons we should buy a pint of full fat tomorrow and just try her with some in her bottle . . .  :-\
I am currently struggling to wean her onto any other cup bar her bottle!
been trying different cups for months now :( with little success and if I cant get her to have her water in another container how do we get rid of the bottle of milk ( formula or other! ) ^help^

~Dizzi~

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
Hi ya Ladies  :)

When it came to us changing over, we just did it and have never looked back!
K wasnt ever a big formula drinker but she cant get enough of her milk now  :)

Dizzi have you tried just giving A a beaker to play with then introduce a bit of fluid in it after a while? We just took K bottle off her when she went to cows milk and she was fine! I know all babies/toddlers/children are different and i am sure, in her own time she will just do it  ;)

x x x

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Hi,

I have to admit to giving DS a bottle still. He gets one bottle (6-7 oz) cow's milk in the morning and a bottle (6oz) of formula in the evening. He does drink from cups but mainly water with and in between meals. I top up with yogurts and cheese during the day. Sometimes I give milk in a beaker but he only drinks 1 or 2 oz tops.

DS loves a bottle first thing when he wakes in the morning and it's nice to snuggle in bed with a bottle before he goes to sleep in the evening.

As soon as he turned one we started giving cow's milk but like to top up with formula at night, especially if he has not had much proper food in the day.

Not sure when I have to stop the bottle completely but at the moment this works great for us.

Love/Ophelia

·
Premium Member
5,129 Posts
Hi there

We just did cold turkey!  From breast milk to cow's milk in a beaker with a soft spout.  He drank little first couple of days, but now would happily drink a litre a day given the chance.

Good luck
X

·
Premium Member
20,592 Posts
Thank you, We tried A with cows milk on saturday and she drank it fine, so we are going to use up our formula and go cold turkey :)
she also managed more water with her soft spout beaker, so hopefully this too will soon be permenant,
Lizzy, Ive a couple of free flow cups/beakers and shes tried them but thinks its funny to throw them tip them or stick her hands in!! rather than drink x x

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hiya ladies,

thank you so much for all your responses. As dd is not well, the Dr has advised that i stick to formula for the time being until she's better  ^hugme^ i then plan on going cold turkey  ::)

Dizzi squirrel-glad that dd has taken too cow's milk  ^reiki^  I use the tommee tippee beakers-which dd enjoys drinking from  ^reiki^ ^hugme^

:-* :-* :-*

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Similar theme here ....

Have just switched DS from Cow & Gate Comfort formula to Cows milk (today!) and he accepted it fine and drank it all  ;)  .

However, I was wondering if there is any advantage nutritionally in using the 'toddler' formula milks or is it a waste of money?  The health visitor just said to switch from formula to full fat cows milk.  I didn't ask her for her opinion on the toddler formula milks ... what do you think of them?

Any thoughts gratefully received  :)

DE

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Hiya,

We just switched straight to cow's milk & L didn't bat an eyelid.

If your unsure you could try 20/80 milk/formula etc till you end up just with cow's milk

xx

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Dakota, thanks for your reply. 

I don't think I explained myself very well, sorry  ::)  .

I was really looking for peoples opinions of the toddler formula milks and if they are worth spending money on/more nutritious etc or are they just a waste of money. 

DS has taken to cows milk fine but woke earlierthan usual this morning and I am wondering if it is hunger as the cows is not as filling as the formula??

THanks

·
Premium Member
20,592 Posts
Hi Dame Edna
you could start a whole new thread to debate your question  ;D ::)
but for me I decided to cut the cost! formula milks are expensive compared to FFM
and so long as baby is eating a good varied diet then IMO
there really is no need for the top up milks. we used the follow on milk from about 8 months to a year, then moved to full fat, and Abbie is waking a bit more so Ive increased her meal portion and added in 2 snacks a day which I was bad at doing, so she has a pint of milk over 2 bottles and sometimes a top up milk of about 150ml if shes screaming or after swimming for example.
hope this helps
x x

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I wouldn't waste your money on toddler milk stick with full fat cows milk. Like dizzy said try more snacks and even toast ect before bed.

We just went cold turkey 2 but gave him more food/snacks

Kelli

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Thanks Dizzi, Kelli. 

It's reassuring to know that your lo's were waking a bit more (and earlier) after the switch to ffm from formula.  I have already upped the evening meal portion somewhat and have given more of the yogurt with the evening meal (he usually only gets about half of a full sized pot).  Sleep is SOOOO important for sanity so I'm hoping the larger portion works.  'toast' is a good idea too Kelli .... will maybe give that a go as he likes toast!

This is all new to me (new Mum as of October  :)  ) so any advice from more experienced Mummy's is great, thanks for replying  :-*

Dame Edna x

·
Premium Member
5,129 Posts
Hello

I didn't really use formula very much, but when I stopped breastfeeding at a year and switched to cow's milk, my boy started sleeping 12 hours a night instead of waking every hour.  Not the same thing, I know, but I really wouldn't bother with formula once past a year.  Full fat seems to do the trick, is cheaper, and easier to get your hands on!  And yes, I'm the same as dizzi, was a bit useless previously with snacks, but found snacks twice a day have helped keep rafa from having meltdowns.

X

·
Premium Member
20,592 Posts
Dame Edna, ooh I just noticed your signature, ^congrats^ ^storkboy^
lots of advice on these babydust boards just keep reading and asking, perhaps join or at least read the birth club thread your little boy belongs with to join the mummies with lo's the same age :)
Thanks VEC, just love the I'm hungry feed me now meltdowns too!
I read having some healthy snacks on standby when your doing their meal helps,
so grapes ( half) carrot sticks, or other veg/fruit raisins or small cubes of cheese ( over 1yr)
~Dizzi~

·
Registered
692 Posts
Hiya. For ds we slowly reduce the amount of formula per bottle and replaced it with cows milk eg 8oz f to 1 milk and then 7 to 2 and so on. Did it over 2 weeks and worked like a dream x

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I think its only worth keeping up with formula after a year if they dont have a varied diet so that they are still getting the  vitamins they need.

I personally dont understand the rush to stop babies having milk in a bottle. DD was 3.5 when she stopped having milk before bed in one and it was because she chose to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.