Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

We fly out to Portugal this Saturday and I wanted to ask if I'm able to bring a bottle of Calpol onto the plane with me?

Thanks!

x

·
Registered
990 Posts
if you buy it from the departure lounge then you'll be fine. 

Have a good holiday !

Ju

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I took it in my suitcase, on the plane I took the 5ml sachets

have a good hol

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So that won't be counted as my 100ml of liquid restriction ladies?

Thanks Ju and OS!  ^hugme^

x

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also we are going to have to feed Molly before we get on the plane, we usually give her an afternoon bottle at 2pm but we fly at 1:10pm so will feed her around 12:30pm, then bring 3oz on with us (just under the 100ml limit) on the plane in case she doesn't have as much.

Isn't it a stress this travelling with a baby malarky ;D

x

·
Registered
990 Posts
You could do that or just buy the ready made formula from the departure lounge (Boots) as you can take as many ml as you like on the plane from that side of the security gate.  You could also buy your powder formula from Boots and take it on as hand luggage !

Ju

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I think within reasonable amounts (ie enough to get you there on the plane and to your destination - so not 15 bottles!) baby formula doesn't count in your liquid limit. as long as you have it packed in mollys baby bag, which also doesn't count on your hand luggage limit! If you take bottles through they will ask you to open and taste them. I also had a carton of milk with me in his bag but I never had to touch it.

To give you an idea I passed through security with: 3 bottles, 2 of which has 7oz of water and a powder pot in. The third had been mixed and had only 2 oz of milk in it. (i had to taste all liquids at security) I also had 1 carton of ready made formula (210ml) and about 3 sachets of calpol as well as sudocream and dentonox. In my hand luggage I had another 3 empty bottles and I bought a couple more cartons in boots in the departure lounge to take on the plane. So all in all I had about 6 bottles for a 3 hour flight and a 30 transfer (paranoid or what!?).

On the way back from portugal I had a carton of water for water for babies (great stuff, got it in pharmacy) in the basket of the buggy. The guard at security glanced at it then asked me to fold buggy up and put it through x-ray. I didn't taste anything on the way bak and I had about 3 bottles in his bag on the way back.

Stress?? Doesn't even begin to describe it - I had every piece of clothing matt owned packed, he ended up wearing nothing but vests all week as it was hotter than we thought it was going to be. Worth it though, he was a little star!

Hope you have a great time. They are so friendly in portugal, especially with the kids about. My new favourite holiday destination.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much girls, sorry to sound dumb but so much more to consider with a baby and the restrictions!

Great to know that baby formula doesn't count as your liquid limit, that means we can give Molly her usual bottle at 2pm. The most we put in her bottles is 5oz as she's not a big eater so that's okay and as the flight is under 3 hours we'll only bring the one with us. The formula we use (C&W Comfort 1) isn't sold in ready made cartons so we have bought a box, which will be in the suitcase. Don't want to risk buying it out there as just know we won't be able to get it :eek: although now I'm a little paranoid that something will happen to the suitcase and she'll have no food!! :eek: :eek: :-\ ??? do you think we should buy one in Boots at the airport if they sell them and take on with hand luggage?

With regards to the hand luggage limit, Molly's changing bag definitely won't count? So I can bring a handbag, her bag and DH can have a bag to?

I'll have a bottle of Calpol in her changing bag and probably won't even use it but rather have it with us just in case. Will also have a beaker of water for her but that's it for liquids. The rest will just be nappies, nappy sack, wipes, couple of small toys, change of clothes & some snacks for her. I'm  ^pray^ she'll sleep the whole way or at least the majority!

I've just ironed her clothes and have got too much stuff ;D but it's only small so should be okay. Will pack in the suitcase and then decide if I need to leave anything ;) she has more than me :eek: ;D

Thanks so much girls, most helpful! OS - so glad you had a great holiday and Matt was a good boy ^hugme^

x

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
angel

in all the times i have flown i have never had my hand luggage weighed! We had matts bag, a white holdall and then chubbs had a bag from boots so all in all we had 3 bags. If you want to be doubly sure ring the airport. Better safe than sorry

Not sure about the bottle of calpol in the bag, double check that, but for ease i used the sachets, not that we needed them

so many things to think of!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
May check just in case, or play it safe and just have 2 pieces of hand luggage between the 3 of us.

I will buy the bottle of Calpol at the airport as Ju suggested, that way I can take on as hand luggage ;)

Another debate with DH, he doesn't think we should bring jars with us for Molly, just buy them out there but I disagree! So I've bought 6 and sneaking them in ;D

Update - now have 10 jars to take with me ;D ;D picked her fav ones ;) :)

Also bought this great rattan (if that's the correct material??) type mat thing for the beach. From Peacocks £3!! You unfold it and can lay on the beach, round the pool or even at the park! Thought it would be great for Molly :)

x

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
I took a small bottle of Calpol on the plane in my hand luggage. You can get 100ml bottles and I just happened to have one nearly finished so I just decanted a bit from the big bottle in this and put the rest of the big bottle in the hold luggage. 

I also took milk, both cows milk in the bottle and a carton - 7oz of each and a bottle of water in a baby bottle too and this is fine, provided you declare it as you present your bags for x ray. I had my luggage fully searched (not to mention both myself and a sleepign B because we set the alarms off) and I had to taste both so had to open the carton anyway so I would say take just milk in the bottle rather than a sealed carton... or buy it air side as it's not really than much more expensive. This doesn't count in the 100ml restriction anyway but, as I say, provided you taste it and don't bring hundreds of bottles through you should be able to bring enough for the feeds you need.

I've never had my hand luggage weighed ever - not even the time it was ridiculously heavy (stuffed full of rocks - don't ask) and I nearly fell over backwards it was so heavy. Stuuf as much of the heavy stuff you can in your hand luggage - that includes nappies which are suprisingly heavy (pack of 30 weighing over a kilo). Nappies are also very expensive abroad - well they are in Greece so I known't know if the same applies to other countries but worth taking them rather than buying them if you can manage it in your pitifully poor baggage allowance.

Have a great time!

C~x

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much Caz ^hugme^

I just know the one time we stuff our hand baggage it gets weighed ha ha! Don't think mine has been weighed before though, thinking about it ???

We are bringing our own nappies too, have got 30 to take with us. That should be enough but if we have to then can buy them out there, although rather not as will be more expensive!

Just taking the one bottle in hand luggage so will declare it and make DH taste it if need be - I can't stand the stuff :p ;D

I'm finally getting round to packing today, just a few more bits to iron then I'm all done!

x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I've had my hand luggage weighed before now - the most ridiculous thing was mine was under and dh's was over so we had to take a few things out his and put in mine then it was ok! Mad as we still had the same weight between us.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
899 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
Angel have a great time and let us know if you have any tips when you get back. I am thinking of writing up some travel tips of my own for this folder at some point. :)

C~x

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's great OS, thank you so much! We are going to Albufeira so perfect :) still going to bring the jars of food as we're now taking 2 large suitcases ;D

Caz - of course I will, must make sure I remember anything I think will come in handy! That would be a great idea, save alot of the same questions being asked I imagine!

Thanks so much girls for all your help, it's been much appreciated and most valuable ^hugme^ ^hugme^

Speak in just over a weeks time!

x

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
I take k to my parents in France regularly and always take his changing bag as an extra piece of hand luggage on top of mine and dh's bags. I think you should be fine taking it. :)

I take K's water cup through with us and they just make you try it . I would think this is the same for any milk/formula you take through ;)

They are generally quite good about baby/child things including having the pushchair up until the plane :)

have a fab holiday :)

x

1 - 17 of 17 Posts