Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can anyone give me an idea as to wether I should be concerned. My twin boys are 2 & 4 months old and their speech development seems to be slow.
They can say mummy, daddy, nanny, shoe, hat, sun, moon, egg, dirty and other such words. They can also communicate by pointing etc.. to get the message they want to over. But there is hardly any 2 sentence words apart from bye bye mummy/daddy/nanny.

Should I be concerned? I know twin boys can be delayed in speech development, should I consider contacting my health visitor??
Thanks

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
This is a difficult one. Do your boys get a HV visit at 2.5yrs or had one at 2 yrs old? My son saw a HV at 2. I have been a bit concerned about his speech for ages but she told me at 2 they expect about 30 (I think) words, my son is no way hitting that target. Anyway she got a book out for him to look at and we tried to get him to say what the pictures are or what noise they made and he wouldnt have anything to do with it. The waiting lists are massive where we are so we had to go to a drop in centre where they assess him and decide if he needs extra help. Well we went and explained that his understanding is fantastic but he just says what he needs to get by. So now we have to go to 6 weekly sessions where there is a group that has a drop in speech therapist at times and other trained staff and they give me pointers and stuff and again we go from there. She did tell us that because is understanding is good we might be saying sentances to him which are too long and he is struggling to pick up the important words and repeat them, so we have shortened it down but it does not seem to be doing anything. When I hear children his age talking I get really concerned as he is quite behind but then I think to myself, I cant force him to talk. He babbles to himself all the time, points or takes my hand to whatever he needs or wants so I don't know if it is something to be concerned about or something that will just sort itself out in time. If you are worried at all I would give your hv a call and see what they think, it's best to get in the system the younger they are if there is a problem. xx

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, its good to hear someone similar.
I will contact my HV, they did have a check at 2 and the speech was picked up there and I was told I would receive a recall to check this in 6 weeks time & hayho here I am 4 months later - NO recall!!!.
So I will get in touch with them.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I would to be honest, especially if it was picked up on their check. Not on that they have not contacted you. It could be nothing to worry about but I told myself it was better for the speech therapists to decide. No one has directly said I have anything to worry about, but you cant help it can you? Good luck hun xx

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hi I was worried about one of my twins, my little girl before she was 2, I demanded a hearing test and speech test, they said by time I get one she will probably be talking I said thats fair enough I will cancel appointment but not wanting you turning round at 5 and saying she got gluey ear or something, I just forced them to refer me and appointments came through within 6 wks, hearing and speech fine and I got letter inviting us to a speech group with few other little children at the doctors centre but her speech has improved week by week and she now fine, think because of her brother being so advanced I worried.

I would have continued worrying though so just demand the tests then least that way if everything ok you can rest and just let them progress, his speech progressed week by week where as she seemed to be slower but then all of a sudden takes a big leap, your boys probably taking it all in then all of a sudden will just start speaking clearer, then you need to buy the ear plugs ;D

·
Registered
907 Posts
I am having a similar problem at the mo- D is 2.5 yrs old and his sppech is delayed. he can say byebye, hello, hi, mamma,dadda, sleeptime (for bed time), a swear word (oh dear- naughty mummy) car keys, blow kisses, cake etc- but doesnt really string sentences together. Our HV has referred him for speech therapy and to a community paediatrian. D had his ears checked at 16 months and they were fine. He does make a lot of ear wax though. I was wondering about glue ear, but no one seems to confirm this for me. Our paed is  monitoring him at the mo- and will see him in 6 months, along with the wicked witch who is the speech therapist. Does your LO maintain eyecontact with you? Apparantly that is a big thing in the world of speech therapy- we have to spen 5 quality mins per day holiding things to eye level and hoping D will remember them. She also thinks D might be autistic (as he wouldnt look at her- ha, I wouldnt either.)
Good luck and keep me posted.

AJ

·
Registered
730 Posts
My friend's little boy was 2 in august and he does nothing but mutter like 'duh duh duh'. Her GP referred him to a speech therapist and she said they had been referred far too early and wouldn't be concerned until he was 3. Comprehension is the most important thing

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all,
Have been in touch with Hv and they will be contacting me in the new year to review the boys.
Although I don't think there's a problem with their hearing as they very much get their message across to me, pointing etc.. and have a very good understanding of what I say, I just don't want to miss out on any additional help if its out their to help my boys.

Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hi guys.... don't know if it helps or not.... but i, as a child, was slow in development..... and went to speech therapy..... I went till quite an age.... I can remember going, so must have been quite old.... and i turned out fine..... did well at school, worked my way up from bottom to top of each career I have had a go at.... and joined MENSA with flying colours about 8 years ago....

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though this may be an issue at the mo... it doesn't mean there'll be any problems in the future....

Hope this helps....

Xxxxxxxx

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks,
Yes that helps alot to hear xxx :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.