Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bedtime & naps have never been an issue for us; Josh has always slept well and gone down without a fuss.  Since he was very little, when he woke up he would chat happily to himself till someone went to get him - even if that was half an hour or so after he woke.

Recently he has started screaming at full pelt as soon as he wakes up, and even if I get to him quickly he is inconsolable for absolutely ages.  Sometimes I hear him stirring and I make sure I go into his room immediately, but the tantrum starts regardless  :-[  So I've even tried going into his room before he wakes, and waking him up gently by sitting on the floor next to his cot and stroking his hair; as soon as he wakes up he gets really upset.  In fact sometimes that's worse, and he pulls his muslin over his head and shouts 'no no no no no'  ^eyes^

I'm at my wits end - I have no idea what the problem is, and therefore no idea how to solve it, apart from simply waiting for what is hopefully a phase to end.  I don't think it can be a 'bed phobia', otherwise he'd create when it gets into it, so I'm really stumped.

Often when he wakes he's crammed into a corner of the cot, with his face jammed up against the side, or his arm stuck through the bars ^idiot^  He's not particularly tall for his age, but he does seem quite big now for the cot - I wondered if it was worth trying him in a cot-bed (we have one) so he had a bit more space.

Any ideas, however bonkers, would be very welcome ;D

xx Clare

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
I find that when C wakes up he is always really thirsty so I try and have water at hand....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi clare,

Sorry i can't offer any solutions, but i remember my daughter lauren doing exactly the same thing. I found it really hard to cope with first thing every morning. Nothing i did seemed to help and it was just a phase. She had a lot of tantrums from about the age of 1 upwards,she just completely lost control for about 45 mins, 5 or 6 times a day. Thankfully, L and F don't have them near as badly or as often. On a positive note, she is now a very intelligent and caring 10 year old (but, like all children, still throws regular strops)

Perhaps he was having a lovely dream and was disappointed that he woke up.

I wouldn't advise putting him into a bed without cotsides yet, as you may open up a whole new world of sleeping problems, i.e- him not staying in it. We kept L and F in their cotbeds until their 3rd birthday, when we took the sides off.

Shelly

·
Registered
759 Posts
clare

do you think it might be an attention thing - just wondering if he's reacting to the twins arrival.  I know hollie likes my undivided attention when she wakes up and I just cant give it to her now.  I can't think what else it could be.  We put Hollie in a cotbed about 18 months as we were having some problems at that stage and we thought maybe she didn't want to be in the cot any more, but I think it was too early really and now she's up and down which is something you don't need at the min (although she's only started doing this a month or so ago)

Do they all get up at the same time?  I try to get the twins fed and changed before Hollie wakes up so I can try to give her loads of attention.  Dont know what else to say :(

xx

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks girls :)

I honestly can't think what it can be.  His morning routine hasn't changed at all; when I fell pregnant we started encouraging him to drink his morning milk on his own, so he snuggles into his beanbag in the playroom and watches CBeebies.  Previously this was my shower time, now I feed the girls in the other room.  I tried staying with him to feed them but it was a disaster!  It could well have been triggered by the girls' arrival though - hopefully it's just something he'll grow out of ^eyes^

xx Clare

·
Registered
841 Posts
Sounds to me like he doesn't want to be awake.  Could something be waking him before he is ready?  Have you tried soothing him back to sleep (I know that would take time which you probably don't have much of!).

E always wakes first and had got to the stage where she will try to wake A (she calls her name over and over, bashes the bars of their cots, throws teddies, rattles the blinds etc etc).  A always wakes in a grump, it's one of the only time's she will cry properly.

HJG

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is EXACTLY like he doesn't want to be awake - you're spot on.  It has also co-incided with the lighter mornings, and unusually he has been waking up around 6 or 6.30 instead of an hour or so later.  I could try black-out blinds, although he has always slept well at his day-time naps, when of course it is light outside ^idiot^

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hi Clare,

L is like that if he has woken earlier than normal that morning (so six instead of 7-7.30) and then if he doesn't have over an hour.  He's very clingy too and if I try to put him down he just screams and holds on to me.  Its definitely an I dont want to be awake thing.  Try the blinds first and see if that helps.  They change at different stages though, dont you find?  I'm sure it will pass... is he teething too?  might be that he's waking up with a dry mouth and that's making him mad too.

I cant wait till they can talk - I think it will make these kind of things much easier!

Take care xx

·
Registered
479 Posts
there must be something in the air!  Sammy has recently started doing this too. I was just wondering in fact wether it wasnt about time that he started dropping his pm sleep a bit (they have been having 2.5 hours at noon) as he is waking earlier in the morning..when blow me he suddenly dropped to an hour and a half but wakes up screaming!

And its exactly like he doesnt want to be a awake. i have been being very robust about it - "stop crying now, here's your drink and snack, go sit in a corner until you cheer up" kind of thing - but today i just sat with him next to his cot whilst he calmed down and i swear all he actually wanted was to be asleep again. Its funny because Jack always wakes up in a good mood!

Oh well these are all phases in one form or another.

Abby

1 - 9 of 9 Posts