Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi girls..

for those of you from Ireland, either going to or have been in Zlin clinic for treatment,
it seems we can claim back 20% of cost of our treatment on our Med 1 form..

I was in Zlin myself this august ( & was sucessful am currently 18wks preg)
at that time whoever I rang didnt know whether we qualified to claim or not.

sine then I have made several enquiries.& ended up getting the answer from the Dept. of Finance..The rule seems to be as Zlin is a clinic, we can claim for any treatment in clinics ( as oppossed to treatment in a hospital)..

now for those who are going to hospitals for treatment, these can be added to the existing list of hospitals which we can claim for on our Med 1...this involves
  • writing a letter of recommendation for the addition of this hospital
    • getting a letter from the dept of health of the country the hospital is in.
      • getting a letter from the hospital itself stating how it operates..

all these items should be sent to the Dept of Finance...& hopefully your request will be sucessful & you too can claim back on your treatments..

For Zlin girls though..we dont have to do anything...just fill on your Med 1 form & wait for your cheque!!!Good luck girls..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Gra

That is really interesting, I have been to Reprofit twice, when the Dept of Finance said you can claim for Zlin because it was a clinic I wonder would that apply to Reprofit too since its a clinic.  Do you think I should contact the Dept of Finance myself re Reprofit or just go ahead and claim for it?  I have never claimed on a Med 1 before ever so I will be making a claim in January for the last few years. 

Zaira

·
Registered
40 Posts
Zaira, we have done 2 cycles this year with Reprofit also, I am just going to submit my claim as usual and wait and see what happens..I also remember reading on med1 form before that you can claim for flights and hotel if having treatment abroad, not sure where I read it but I think I'll put in for them too
Gra, congrats on your pregnancy..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also Zaira, just to let you know you can only back claim for 4 years I think it is, so you would be better claiming for 2006 before this month ends or you would lose whatever you were due back that year,as in 2011 you would only be able to claim for 10,09,08, and 07..thats if your were going to claim for 06, better in your pocket than theirs!!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
So what do I do girls - just get a med 1 form - where do you get these - and then do I just send of the receipts from Reprofit ?  I am going to try it anyway - nothing to loose - and how many years back can I send in the receipts ?  I started with Reprofit in 2008.
Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Orwell.  I must go through my receipts and see if there are any going back to 2006.  Could really do with some tax back to help with going back again!! I'm not sure if I have the receipts for the flights earlier in the year though :(

Boboboy just type "med 1" into google and you'll get the form, you can print it out yourself (I can't copy the link sorry).

·
Registered
201 Posts
think you can print the med 1 forms off the revenue website
used to be able to go back 6 years, not sure if that has changed yet
last time i claimed they discounted the first €250 and then the remainder was paid back at your highest tax rate (though now it is just 20% for everyone)

personally I use the revenue online service now - if you are registered it is easier and so far I have not been audited (but made sure I had the receipts) and always had my tax back in my bank within 2 weeks. if you register for online PAYE you get a pin number. you can then go online, input all your costs and ask for a P21 balancing statement for the relevant year. (you can check at the same time you are claiming all your allowances, not just for medical expenses - God knows we may as well get what we can back now whilst they are screwing us  ;D )

you don't send in the receipts unless they ask as far as I know?

not sure if that is clear enough???

anita x  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi girls..

Im so glad some of you are gettin to benefit from this tax back...

Zaira...I am taking it that it means all clinics...so def if Reprofit is a clinic too..then you can claim..if youve never done a claim on med 1 before , just give your local tax office a ring & ask all the questions you need...

Orwell.I did hear of someone else mention claiming for flights & accomodation fees..does anyone have a def answer on this? I might just ring my local tax office to see...

Boboboy...you def  dont need to send in the receipts..you just have to keep them safe ( & have them to hand for next 3-4 yrs I tink, in case tax office ask any questions..you need to be able to provide them)

On the med 1 form there is a list of items you can claim for, so it should be straighforward..
ring your local tax office if ye have any questions....hopefully ye'll all get a good bit back...
Im looking forward to a few bob back in jan!!! ( ha ha...)

good luck girls...x

·
Registered
33 Posts
Girls thanks for all the tips on this.  Should be able to claim back a good bit I think,  it could be the difference between going or not going again!!

I really appreciate it.

Zaira

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats great news Zaira...

I just need to do my health insurance claim first..
You should do this first if you have private health insurance...
as theres a place on the med 1 form to fill in how much you got back on your insurance...
makes life a lot simpler....

Best of luck girls..xx

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's great info. I wouldn't have even tried to claim anything but I will now!

Hope all going well with you Gra. All well with me - @ 14 wks now, can't believe it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Lianor...

well congrats on your 14wks....once you get past the early stages, it does seem to fly by doesnt it..Ill be 19 wks this thurs.!!! Im keeping well too..thank God..
I didnt tink I could claim either, just wanted to add Zlin clinic to the list that we can claim...
& it seems just because it is a clinic...we can automatically claim..which is great..
( or so I was told by a girl in the Dept of Finance..) 
hope we'll all get a few bob back out of it!

happy Christmas to you...xx

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Hello again girls,
I have the med 1 form in front of me but not exactly sure where I fill  - on the second page it has a list of what your claiming for so am I A: Services of a doctor / consultant  ?
Can I claim for my consultant from when I had the girls ? 
Do I just put in the total I have spent so far in Reprofit ?
Any help would be appreciated !

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Bobo,

You can claim back for the last 4 years,so 06,07,08,09...but from Jan it will be 07,08,09,10..
Each year needs to be on a seperate form..you can claim for every expense, such as gp visits, consultant fees,i.e fertility clinic, scans, blood tests and drug costs so you can claim for year you have the girls..
What I am doing for this year, is just totaling up my 2 trips to Reprofit,and all receipts from Irish clinic, and gp visits, and will put that total in the consultant space...oh I also read on med 1 last night that if you had the treatment abroad you can claim reasonable travelling and accomodation expense, soI'll put that in with consultants part..add it all together.
I will ring my chemist, I use sameone all the time, and I will get my final total spent for the year,and will collect the printout, and stick that total on the space on form, total it all up and thats it....freepost it off and you shoul have cheque back within 6 weeks, usually I find I get mine back quickly..
Hope this makes sense..

·
Registered
644 Posts
Gra, thanks for the feedback regarding claiming back from Zlin.

Regarding the med1 one forms, I've been claiming back all my treatments for the last 9 years. You do not send in receipts, they will only post them all back to you. It also states not to send them in. The revenue does audits every now and then. I've been checked twice in the last 9 years so make sure you keep all receipts.  When filling in the form I just put IVF treatment and the total for the year.

I don't think you can claim travel expenses for IVF abroad though. I remember an online friend trying this and it was refused. Seemingly you can only do this if the treatment is not available in Ireland, which it is.

They're usually fairly quick once you submit your forms.

Good luck ladies and all the best for 2011

Irish xxx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All

Wanted to resurrect this thread; I had put in a claim for IVFs overseas and after many many weeks they came back and said that, as the clinic was not on their 'approved list' of clinics/hospitals, they would not reimburse me (even though the type of treatment I had in the past was not even available to me in Ireland!!)
I was so disappointed as I know so many people who've claimed successfully regardless of where in the world the clinic was.
Any suggestions? Can/should I appeal??

Thnx

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Luz04...

Im sorry you didnt get a tax return..Alls I know is I made lots of phonecalls..to confirm before I did my claim,
and the basis my claim worked was that the clinic I attended was a day clinic....
its not on the list of approved clinics, but the fact that is was a day clinic is the reason we could claim back.
thats what I was told from the Dept of Finance..and I did get 20% of what we spent on our treatment back to us..

maybe make a call..if your clinic was a day clinic..& say others had 20% of their spendings returned to them.
Best of luck.xx

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.