Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just being nosy really - I'm not a teacher but interested in their mat rights. I was talking to a lady at one of the groups I go to and her LO is only 3 weeks this week and she is returning to work in july so she can be paid for the 6 weeks off during the summer (fair enough I say!) but it means she will be returning well before I will and my little one is older than hers. But anyway I asked how it worked for accruing hols when on mat leave as a teacher and she said that you just don't!  :eek:

Bit of a shock for me really, I asked her if she got any annual leave and she told me no for that as well. Surely this is unfair - you get none of the hols back that the other teachers are getting when your off and you don't have any annual hols to attach to the end of your mat leave? Are you entitled to claim the public hols back?

Just curious, seems a little draconian to me - can someone explain it better?  :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi,
Teachers don't get any of the holidays back that they miss whilst on maternity leave. You can return during a school holiday though so your friend doesn't actually have to go into school in July unless she wants to.
Collyx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Also, you aren't automatically entitled to claim back bank holidays. I know my now ex-employer don't allow it and even have it written in the terms and conditions - I did argue it through the union who in turn contacted an employment solicitor, but the outcome was that if a male colleague was out sick and not allowed to claim them back then neither could I.

Chux xx

·
Registered
967 Posts
All the teachers I know have just gone back to work for two weeks before the summer hols so got paid full wage over summer. Suppose if you can time it right it is good as I think you get full pay for six months as a teacher (could be wrong) so avoid having to rely on SMP. Boyf is a teacher so it would have been great if we could have timed it so I went back to work when he started summer hols to save on child care! I think they get about 14 weeks paid hols a year!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have recently asked to go back the last week in July so as to get paid over summer.  They have said no  :mad:  saying that I can go back for the last week and be paid as a supply teacher and then they will start my new part time contract in Sept.  So not happy! My DH is also a teacher so I was going to spend alot of time over summer getting the new courses that I am going to introduce ready.  So now I have no goodwill left and I am not going to do a stick of work this summer and will just have to start Sept in a bit of a muddle. Whats the betting Ofsted will turn up on my 1st week back  :eek:  I dont dare appeal against this in case they decide to mess me about with my part time hours.  Which incidentally they still havent agreed  :mad:  Arghh!

Sorry for the 'me' post

Mel xx

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand the not claiming holidays back for a male colleauge if hes sick - but your not off sick!! All seems a bit behind the times to me

thanks for clearing up though - nose just got better of me!!

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
outspan3 said:
I understand the not claiming holidays back for a male colleauge if hes sick - but your not off sick!! All seems a bit behind the times to me
But that's the best comparision they can use as men don't have maternity leave. ;D ;D

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
It'd be nice to 'claim' holidays for teachers but our job just doesn't directly compare to others in that way. We do get 13 wks (not fourteen) wks without the students and are paid but it's not the same. We have 'directed time' hours that we're required to do but even with PPA time now (planning, prep and assessment time) it is actually impossible to do our job without working outside of those hours. (EG Just put D to bed and now going to work for a couple of hours!) OUr pay isn't commensurate with increased workload and is way below inflation hence striking this week.
That said, it seems fair enough to me that we can't claim back holds etc for maternity leave.

Blimey - I suspect I've just got off the point a little - am feeling militant at the moment!

Poll

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Mel, can they actually refuse you opting to go back before the summer hols?  I would check with your union.  I was under the impression that we could choose any date to go back (even if it is in the school hols) and that your full pay would restart on that date.

I am grateful for the hols we get but I am snowed under with marking at the mo - I spent all day Sunday and part of today (my day off!) trying to get through it whilst the twins went to the park with my in-laws :(  I still haven't finished it!

p.s Anyone striking on Thurs?  I'm quite happy to be as the babies have their injections and I didn't want to ask for time off!

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Yep Lou - I'm striking!
Can't afford it at all but hoping that in the long run it'll pay off! (so to speak)
My school is shutting apart from Y11 lessons - feel like at least they'll be some impact
Poll

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Ours too - only Year 11 in tomorrow.  I only work 2.5 days a week but am secrectly thrilled that we have tomorrow off! x

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't think they can refuse you going back before hols...think they can put you off actually working but only on full pay!!!! I would check your materinity note and with union! 

I'm not striking cos only work monday and tuesday in a private school so tere not affected anyway!!!  Good on the people who are though they have my full support! :)

·
Registered
967 Posts
This is interesting to here it from the other point of view! I can appreciate it must be hard doing extra work, I find it hard just working full time with my 2-3 hours driving on top each day! As previously mentioned my boyf is teacher and so im aware of the work that needs to be done out of school. He also does all the sport stuff so training and football etc to fit in! It really hard as I work full time too so I dont get to sit down til I go bed mostdays as have all house and life stuff to sort out while he works at home! I work in NHS and we been offered a useless pay deal too but interestingly enough there is talk of it being agreed by most unions as it better than the usual 1% we get offered! ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^

Sorry just had to moan too as im so tired!

I think it is good if you can time things right, it affects us all I guess, my boss went off on mat leave before april so she will have all this years holiday entitlement to add on to mat leave so will save her a bit of money!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

I am a teacher and until I got pregnant I thought that we would have quite a good maternity package......not really!

I got 4 weeks full pay, 2 weeks 90% and 12 weeks 50%.  This has just run out so next month will be SMP.  No we can't claim back our holidays but as someone else said it isn't really comparable.  I am luck enough to be able to put my date down as available for work as last day of the summer term (have rang to check I can do this next week) so will get full pay during August.

I do love my job but really wanted to have a year off but financially can't afford it, like many others who may or may not be teachers!

Nov x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts