Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Jeanette
Having one of those days where I feel particularly rubbish at motherhood!

My boys are 15 months and have refused to let me spoon feed them since about 10 months - they are very good at finger food and have a varied diet:  brekkie cereals and fruit, lunch snacks and meat and veg dinners.  They also love their milk (a bit too much).

At 15 months surely they should be feeding from a bowl with a spoon?  I have tried on several occasions, sitting with them eating yogurts etc but they just want to chew on the spoon and use their fingers.  This week I have decided to make a real effort with the self spoon feeding, although it has been fingers in the bowl, and put up with the mess.  So it's bowls at brekkie and lunch, and finger food for tea.

Ths lunchtime, Ru ate nothing but half a breadstick dipped in his bowl of mush, Will ate a bit more but with his fingers.  They are now napping and I have quiche on standby for their snack.

Should I persevere with the spoon/bowl thing or just stick to finger food?  Should I offer an alternative if they refuse to attempt the stuff from the bowl?  (My instinct says no, but I have real hang ups about them not eating enough as it is).  Ru would rather drink milk than try anything new but should I get tough now?  I hear about one year olds self feeding with a spoon and feel very depressed!  How can I do this without losing the plot?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Hiya Terri

How is the feeding coming along?

Jxx

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
It's a lot better, although I've given up on spoons for the time being - I think the teething may have set us back a bit and I'd rather they ate well with their fingers than tipped a bowl all over the floor!
Thanks, Jeanette

How do you teach them to use cutlery, or are they just not ready yet?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts