Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I wonder if anyone can help? Such a silly thing really but my DS won't let me clean his teeth (he only has the two at the bottom so far!). He puts his tongue in the way and I just can get to them with the tooth brush. It's becoming more and more of a fight. Has anyone got any hints or tips that could help? My DD is fine and lets me clean them with no problem whatsoever!

Liz
x

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Firstly don't stress too much, I know its been talked about on here before and apparently babies teeth are self cleaning up until around 2 yrs of age, Alex won't let me clean his teeth (although he's getting better) so he has his tooth brush and does his own whilst we do ours, we give lots of encouragement and lots of look at Mummy, like this... he's getting better and better.  Perhaps give him a toothbrush and let him bite on it for a while, it'll at least get him used to having it in his mouth....

HTH

Bev xx

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
M won't let me do hers either - so i just give her the brush with some paste on and let her chomp on it.  she will now come and stand on her little stool next to the sink and 'clean' hers while i am doing mine!  i figure it's better than not doing them - i had got to the stage where i was pinning her down and waiting for her to yell so i could get to her teeth!!! too traumatic for all of us frankly....

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Teeth are generally self cleaning at that age I was told.  If you really want to clean them, you can rub with a damp flannel or cloth,and his saliva will do the rest. 
MAM make a special mitt for rubbing their teeth which is quite fun, or a chewy teether that looks like a toothbrush with rubber nobbly bits instead of bristles.  They just chew on it and it stimulates some saliva and rubs the teeth and gums a bit.
Any teeth cleaning you do at the moment is just to get them used to it, so don't stress if he's not a fan yet. 

Claire x

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies.

Good to know that they are mainly self cleaning at the mo. I had read and been told that as soon as the teeth are though that you had to clean them, but good to know that it's not too much of a problem if it doesn't happen.

I have given him the toothbrush a couple of times, so I will continue and let him get used to it (under supervision of course!) Am much happier to try the gently, gently approach!

Thank you again,

Liz
x

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Hi

My DS does his teeth in the bath and i put a small bit of toothpaste on it- our DD used to do it this way however now she copies me and does them at the sink and DS sits on my leg while i do mine.

xxx

·
Registered
868 Posts
Franky has a complete paddy if I try to take the toothbrush off him.  SO now I just give it to him and he sucks and chews on it for ages.  I figure that this is probably enough at this stage!  ;D

FG

·
Registered
380 Posts
My two have  a chomp on their brushes and even sing the cbeebies song (oooooh, brush your teeth in circles - only I would recognise it though) while they do it.  I also make them laugh and say "I'm going to tickle those teeth" and that way I can get the brush in and do it sort of properly for a bit.  As others have said, a little chew on a brush is all they need at the moment, I guess they need to develop a certain level of understanding before you can get them to let you clean them well or do it themselves properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts