Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment I'm extremely annoyed with Guys as we were supposed to be going there for a follow-up consultation today but yesterday they phoned to postpone it - again!  DH also had his SSR postponed after we'd booked it in 6 weeks in advance they found they had too many ec's to do, so he was  low priority, which meant he had to wait another couple of weeks and have it done just before he flew to America.  We've only had 4 appointments there - so thats 2 that were postponed, and another one was over an hour and a half late because the doctor didn't turn up and they had to find another one to see us.

Anyway, enough of my moaning - back to my question.  We had ICSI and DH produced a suitable sperm sample at the end of October, but unfortunately we got a BFN.  We had our first appointment at Guys in January and he had a SA done and they couldn't find any sperm. Test repeated in February and still no sperm, so SSR was booked for end of March - and unfortunately there was still no sperm found. What I'm now wondering is are there any other tests they could have done before SSR which would have saved DH going through the pain of the surgery (and which would have saved us the cost!).  I've been looking at an American website that talks about ultra-sound scans amongst other tests for men.  The theory of the doctor at Guys was that as DH had produced sperm in only October, that it would be highly probable that they would be able to retrieve some by SSR, but apart from the 2 SA no other tests were done.

Is it usual to just go straight to SSR, or are there usually more initial tests?

PS - I should say, as in my bio below, it's presumed that DH's low sperm count is because of cancer treatment that he had over 15 years ago.  So I presume they haven't done any hormone tests because they think the lack of sperm production is a result of radiotherapy rather than any hormonal problems.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Sorry to hear about your shoddy treatment so far, they really know how to put us through it don't they?!

As for further tests, I would have thought it was standard to do some basic hormone tests (FSH/Testosteron) before resorting to surgery. There is also another test called the MERC test (CARE Notts offers this) where DH provides 3 samples within a couple of hours (!) and then the whole sample is centrifuged and this can identify if there is the slightest bit of life. Ultrasounds are only really useful for identifying blockages, varioceles, etc.

Surely just because your DH had cancer doesn't mean that there may be an underlying hormonal problem?

I think you need to ask some very serious questions when you eventually get your follow up consultation and demand some answers.

Keep us posted with how things progress and know we are here to hold you hand and give you a hug!
Lou xx

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Lou

1 - 3 of 3 Posts