Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Tests you suggested earlier

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  peter 
#1 ·
Dear Peter

I contacted you in September about tests prior to starting icsi (I'm 35, dh is 38 1 nat pg last yr ended in missed misc at 9 wks, 2 sperm tests revealed male factor).

Further to your advice I wrote to my clinic asking for results for white cell count, antibody and morphology. I also asked about sperm DNA frag test.

It has taken a month to get a reply which is:

white cell normal
morphology - don't know as too few to test (sperm <100,000 per ml)
antibody - this is not relevant to conception or miscarriage, so no need to test
DNA frag - not routine, only research tool, and won't tell us if more likely to misc with husband's sperm anyway

They don't feel it is worth us having any further tests prior to tx. Suggest I start on day 2 protocol to have 1 tx before Christmas (is this better/worse than day 21?)

Clinic are friendly and helpful and have very good reputation as far as I can tell and good results. Are we being 'fobbed off' or should we just get on with it???

Any advice woud be a great help.

Thanks, Peter.

Imogen and David.

See less See more
#2 ·
Imogen said:
Dear Peter

I contacted you in September about tests prior to starting icsi (I'm 35, dh is 38 1 nat pg last yr ended in missed misc at 9 wks, 2 sperm tests revealed male factor).

Further to your advice I wrote to my clinic asking for results for white cell count, antibody and morphology. I also asked about sperm DNA frag test.

It has taken a month to get a reply which is:

white cell normal

OK

morphology - don't know as too few to test (sperm <100,000 per ml)

This is OK, I did not realise that the count was so low

antibody - this is not relevant to conception or miscarriage, so no need to test

This is OK and it would be impossible to test with a low count anyway

DNA frag - not routine, only research tool, and won't tell us if more likely to misc with husband's sperm anyway

It is routine over here and provides very useful information although does not admittedly change outcomes. The UK is lagging behind in such things.

They don't feel it is worth us having any further tests prior to tx. Suggest I start on day 2 protocol to have 1 tx before Christmas (is this better/worse than day 21?)

This sounds like a good plan.

Clinic are friendly and helpful and have very good reputation as far as I can tell and good results. Are we being 'fobbed off' or should we just get on with it???

I would try again and see how it goes

Good luck!

Peter

Any advice woud be a great help.

Thanks, Peter.

Imogen and David.

#3 ·
Dear Peter

Thanks for your very speedy response :D

It has reassured me that your comments on the morphology and antibody questions are the same as the clinics. Would it be right to think that after our 1st tx they will have looked at dh's (few) sperm more closely and will be able to give us a better idea on this?????

Confused re your final comment: 'I would try again and see how it goes' - do you mean try again to get them to do the dna frag test, or try another (it will be our 1st) cycle of tx???????

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks again.

Imogen and David.

#4 ·
Imogen said:
Dear Peter

Thanks for your very speedy response :D

It has reassured me that your comments on the morphology and antibody questions are the same as the clinics. Would it be right to think that after our 1st tx they will have looked at dh's (few) sperm more closely and will be able to give us a better idea on this?????

Possibly, it depends on how they do their andrology

Confused re your final comment: 'I would try again and see how it goes' - do you mean try again to get them to do the dna frag test, or try another (it will be our 1st) cycle of tx???????

Sorry, I meant have a try (a treatement) and see how it goes.

Good luck!

Peter

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks again.

Imogen and David.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.