Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone under the bridge centre? and having PGS

I have to move clinic and was previously under the Bridge. I may now have to return and wondered if things have changed over the past 2 years.

Fiona

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have recently been with the Bridge centre but not for PGS - what do you want to know exactly that has changed? They are still very money orientated and you need to be on top of your treatment with them if that's what you mean.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,

I have been advised to undergo Pre Implanation Genetic Screening (PGS) at The Bridge Centre. This is due to the fact, that I have had two ivf's that ended in miscarriage, and I am 41 years old.

Is there anyone else out there, who has been through this proceedure, and can let me know what it is like, and what happened?
Also is, there anyone out there who has undergone PGS at The Bridge Centre?

I am fairly nervous, about having this treatment, as it is still a fairly new technique, and it is still not known what affect such treatment has on future possible babies...

Please anyone who has any experience of this, get in touch. Thanks!

Brighton

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had PGD done at the ARGC, it was fine and out of 8 blasts i only had one good one, well worth the money, i did get pg but m/c.

I decided not to go back to the Bridge.

Fiona

·
Registered
433 Posts
Avoid the Bridge at all costs!! They have a consultant there called Mr Laurence Shaw who is totally incompetent and yes they are only money orientated!

If you do a search you will see my other post re the Bridge ..

Good Luck

Christina x

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,

Thank you for the replies.

Fiona, are you going to try PGS again? Were the ARGC a good clinic?

I understand there are two excellent clinics, one in Belgium, and one in Chicago, who carry out this technique. If it does not work out for me at The Bridge, I might try the Belgium option.

Christine, thanks for the info, on The Bridge, and I am sorry about your bad experience. Which clinic do you go to now?

Brighton

·
Registered
181 Posts
Have to say we had a good experience at the Bridge, 2 icsi's, 2nd resulted in our daughter.  The consultant we had (Dr Balet) is an expert in male factor and even knew my dh's rare condition which was really surprising and very reassuring.  They are very upfront about money, but then they are a business. 

·
Registered
433 Posts
I think Mr Balet did my EC and he was very nice but I believe he travels from France if I have got the right dr!

I don't think money was the issue for us we had a problem whereby for two months leading up to 2nd cycle they said I was going to be on Gonal F to start then on to menopur .. even on the day I had my scan and they said to start stimm that night they gave me Gonal F.. then I got a call at 4.00 that day saying oh no he has changed his mind that want to swap to Menopur so we had to rush down there to by all the Menopur obviously we had too much Gonal F that we didn't need and we wouldn't have bought that much if he didn't state that I was to have it for the first four days.. obviously they wouldn't take it back so I have £400 wroth of gonal f in my fridge which I do not need for any cycles..

In my view it is incompetence and they are unwilling to accept this..

Some times it is the Principal of the matter... the problem above was only a small part of the issues we have with them.

In my view which ever website I look on it does not have the greatest reviews, it even has a newspaper article written saying that they falsely reported the national stats and not their own on their website.. why go for an average clinic ???

·
Registered
688 Posts
I had 4 cycles at the Bridge, we had a few problems which caused major stress, but we were able to sort them out, and they took our complaint seriously and we even got one lot of injectable drugs free as a goodwill gesture.  I would agree that they are certainly not perfect, but I have yet to hear of a clinic that is.

I also cannot recommend Dr Balet himself highly enough, we found him to be extremely honest, yet compassionate, never giving us false hope but doing everything he could. However, his TESE clinic only runs once a month which can sometimes make it difficult to time egg collection if you are relying on fresh sperm.

As I say, we do feel they have their faults, but on the other hand I feel very loyal to them as they really pulled out all the stops to try and get me to egg collection  when I wasn't responding well to the stimms.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello,

Thank you for all your different thoughts on the Bridge Centre.
So far they seem to be relatively positive, although Christina, I understand that you had a very difficult time, and I am sorry.
I guess there are bad doctors at all the clinics. Fortunately there are also good doctors like Mr Balet, that you have all mentioned.

Thanks for all the info.

Good luck girls!
Brighton

·
Registered
688 Posts
Christina

I'm sorry too, that you had a problem with them, and it certainly seems very unfair to be stuck wit unused drugs through no fault of your own.  Have you made a written compaint about it? As I said, I managed to get them to take my complaint seriously, but I acheived this by writing to them, and keeping on at them (in writing), and making sure they had answered everything I was concerned about. It was hard work and of course I was emotional at the time, but I still say it was worth it.

I firmly beleive that that as private IF clinics make a fortune out of us as it is, (I'm not singling the Bridge out here) we are more than entitled to express our concerns about how our tx is handled.

Good luck
E x

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brighton,

We are probarbly won't do tx again, but if we were we would go to the ARGC, they are a very hectic and appear very disorganised, but get results. MR T is the main man and dedicated to is job.

My only complaint about the ARGC is that you don't get apointment times, it's a case of sitting and waiting until they can see you. Cycling there is very stressful as you need to be at the clinic everyday for blood tests, but the monitioring makes a difference.

The ARGC also look into immune issues that can make a huge difference to success rates.

We too had lots of problems with the bridge and wouldn' go back again.

Fiona

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi,

We did write a letter of complaint that was suggested by their own liason nurse we then had to wait 4 weeks becuase the lady who dealt with complaints was on holiday.  When we finally got a response they said that although he had made a mistake they didn't think our complaint was justified!  Dh is a little peeved by this and is seeing a solicitor who deals with medical criminal law..

But as I mentioned before the problems at the Bridge was not only the medication mix up, my first cycle had to be abandoned because they decided to lower the dosage for no reason so the eggs stopped growing .. obviously when this happens you have to pay all scans and blood tests... then receiving bills saying we owed them money even though they had 4,000 sitting in there account !!  The only nurse that I felt comfortable with was Annette the others were not the best in taking blood, giving instructions was medication, calling to let you know the dosages ...

Anyway, I think the only point I was trying to make it that with so many clinics in London to choose from.. why not go for one with better rates, reviews etc .. and save your yourself the heartache.

Good luck

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hi Brighton,
I have to say my experience of the Bridge is 100% positive - their attentiveness and level of care is something I really can't fault. 

Once thing that I would say is that this is a very personal journey so go with your gut feel too - if you are happy with your clinic then that takes an awful lot of stress out of a very stressful and tense time and I think that can only benefit you in the long run.

Best of luck with your treatment!
Sarah
xx

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hi Christina,

Really sorry you had such a bad time with them, I don't blame you for wanting something better. Everyone has different experiences..all my 4 cycles at the Bridge were different, sometimes handled better, sometimes worse. If I did another cycle I'd probably consider other clinics now anyway. What I'm trying to say is that I understand! I hope you find somewhere where you feel more comfortable. i've heard nothing but praise for the Lister, but very mixed response about ARGC - people seem to either love them or hate them, nothing in between!

Good luck.

XX
P.S Am totally with you on the accounts dept by the way...we've had similar problems in that respect.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi everyone
We used the Bridge for 4x iuis(negative) and for icsi (first one successfull). In my opinion they have been fantastic. We were under the care of Dr.Ojha who is kind and professional. Right from the start he gave us hope where the NHS clinic we had been to blatantly told us there was little hope and had treated us appallingly. Yes, it does cost a lot of money ( but so is private fertility treatment anywhere) but all costs are set out before you start. The embryologists bent over backwards to help me get a sperm sample frozen that had been retrieved during an NHS operation. They stayed behind and worked into the evening.This was of no financial benefit to them. They could have insisted my partner had the TESA done there which would have cost £1800. The nurses have always returned my calls within a few hours and the patient liaison advisor has always been available to talk. I couldn't say how they rate against other clinics as I haven't used any. My only complaint was their counsellor who made some ridiculous assumptions about us and actually made me cry! Maybe some people find him helpfull but we never bothered to see him again for our icsi even though it was included in the price. I would highly recommend the Bridge to others although have no experience of Dr Shaw who has been mentioned on this thread
J x

·
Registered
509 Posts
Morning

I had my egg collection and transfer at The Bridge and found everyone to be very helpful, friendly and supportive.

Saying that though .. the bulk of my treatment was done with Mr Paul Rainsbury at BUPA Roding ie scans, drugs etc etc .. and he was the person that told me what drugs I should be taking at what time etc etc.

Everyone is different though, and if you don't feel comfortable then you should go with that reaction and maybe look elsewhere xx

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello
I'm having my 1st ever lot of treatment and it's at Bridge (ICSI and PGS). It cam v highly recommended by 2 people. Also go to their Mind Body course which is v good, but we have had lots of communication problems with the Bridge. Been going since Dec to have tests etc and only just ready starting treatment - Down reg until next tues. Am hoping I can stay assertive and on top of things so I don't get any bad treatment!
Brighton - I live near Brighton! Hope yr treatment there going well.
xxx

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Socreate,

I am also due to start ICSI/PGS very soon at the Bridge Centre.

Do you know much about PGS? I have been reading a lot, but it is still all relatively new.

I posted a topic on the site asking which is the best UK clinic for PGS, but there was no consensus, although the Lister is popular. I know there are two top clinics for this treatment in Belgium and Chicago, but I guess I will go with the Bridge, as I know people who have had difficult fertility problems, who have been successful under them.

I have not been to the mind and body course, and I am glad that you find it helpful.

Please let me know how you are going with the treatment, and perhaps I can support you through this.

Wishing you lots of luck, keep thinking positive, and fingers crossed for both of us!!!!!!

Brighton

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Thanks for the support. I have no idea if the Bridge'll be any good or not so far i haven't been impressed with much! I have my DR scan tomorrow so will let you know when I get to GS if I get that far!
LOL

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.