Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like all the wonderful people on FF I am ttc and am currently in the 2WW - I have been very conscious about cutting down on my caffeine as I have been able to put back the odd cuppa and cola in my "hey not trying to make a baby days"!
I have cut out about 90% of all caffeine (I have to allow some for my chocolate ratiaons) and I find that I can happily not drink coffee and have a decaffeinated substitute instead. I also drink the odd caffeine free tea.
I was wondering what peoples opinions; ideas where around decaf (coffee in particular) - am I kidding myself that this is a better option or can i happily slug away on a cup or two a day ....
Looking forward to all your replies

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Hi safari,

Am not following you around honestly  ^roflmao^

I have cut my caffiene intake down drastically in the last couple of weeks..........    ^eyes^ with the view to cut it out completely sooner rather than later..... I drink far tooooooooo much coffee, in fact I am the coffee monster  ;D (well I was)

My view is it is just bad for you whatever is going on in your life so cutting it out/down has to be good, the only trouble is I feel I am becoming a very boring person now..... Now caffeine and as you now no ciggies either.... I had better watch out am coming close to being an  ^angel^    AS IF!!   ^roflmao^ ^roflmao^ ^roflmao^

anway as I am trying to do everything possible to up my chances of conceiving (something I have never done before) I am cutting out all bad things and pumping my body full of good food and vitamins... will start to rattle soon I am sure!

Sorry I have rambled again.... must be my age catching up with me  :-[

Debs
xx

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fidget thats so funny you saying you are not following me around - i saw your posting on FSH levels and thought if i answer you might think i am stalking you  ;D ;D (for anyone reading this fidget and I are part of a no smoking thread and are bumping into each other all over this site).  Do you drink any of the decaff stuff?????
Ps post your levels that you were given on the FSH/LH score and i think you will get some replies ....
ok keep the decaff replies rolling ......

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
;D ;D what are we like..... we must be bored!!!  ;D

I am drinking the decaf version of Gold Blend and its ok  :) I cant drink tea as I am allergic anyway so Just the decaf coffee and lots of water... I may buy some decaf coke in the summer if they still do it......

I cant post any levels as they didnt give them to my GP just letters saying all is well  :-\ just slightly high ratio.......... think they are going mad as I have never had a problem there.... they keep trying to tell me I have PCOS but nothing indicates I do accept their imaginings  ;D sorry I have digressed somewhat!!

But i would be interested to hear other views on decaf V's Caffeine

Debs
xx

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Marilyn Glenville advises in  her book to avoid decaff coffee, partly as it still has some caffeine and partly because the decaff process apparently produces other nasties which you ingest by drinking it.  I decided "in for a penny, in for a pound" and  therefore cut out all tea and coffee (decaff and normal) more than a year ago, although I do still sneak the odd bit of chocolate as there are somethings I just cannot do without ....

I was interested to discover, when I took an Anadin Extra tablet for toothache about six months ago not realising it had caffeine in it, that it kept me awake just about all night - shows what caffeine can do once you're weaned off it, I suppose!!!   

Instead of tea and coffee, I drink Redbush tea with milk (Redbush tea is naturally caffeine-free but does apparently have the beneficial effects of ordinary tea) and I personally think it's a great substitute for normal tea if you are a tea drinker.  On the other hand, having been almost 100% caffeine free, alcohol free and organic for more than a year with no obvious success on the ttc front, I do wonder sometimes if it's all a load of rubbish.  However, at least it is something positive you can try.  Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ellie, I can relate to that - I must have the world's healthiest diet - no caffeine, no alcohol, no anything that's bad for me, all organic, spectacular amounts of water, fresh fruit and veg, all recommended supplements, etc etc, and STILL NOT PREGNANT!  ::)

Must admit I do feel better than I used to, though!  :)

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Dear Kristin

If I'm honest, I do feel better on my healthy diet too - it's just the ttc angle that's frustrating!  PS Noticed from your e-mail that you are at Aberdeen having IUI.  Can I ask if it's a medicated or natural cycle?  I had IVF at Aberdeen a couple of months ago (never had IUI) but am thinking about IUI this time. Good luck with your 2ww!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Ellie

I'm having a medicated cycle.  It's a bit of an unknown quantity as it's my first (and hopefully only! - well you never know!) one, but I seem to be quite a quick responder - went in for scan on cd 8 and the biggest follicle was already 18mm - so had the actual IUI on cd 10!  Now there's just the 2WW to contend with....

Sorry your IVF was unsuccessful. Are they recommending you try IUI now?  I must say I have found them really nice and helpful at the clinic and they do seem to have good success rates.  Whereabouts do you live?

Good luck anyway whatever you decide.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry to jump on Safarigirl's thread.  :-[

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problem - kristen - like i said all opinions welcome .... good luck to you on your 2ww - will definately be toasting to your good fortune with my organic decaffenaited coffee!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D
heres lots of baby dust to you
^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi Safari and everyone else

I gave up caffeine from drinks so I too could have a chocolate allowance!  I would never have survived IVF without Green and Blacks milk chocolate.
I wouldn't ever miss coffee particularly but I did miss tea for a while - I was formerly a big tea drinker.  In fact now I'm pg I seem to miss it more (caffeine still supposed to be off the menu) so I do have the odd cup of decaff tea.   Normal tea has less caffeine than coffee so if you're going to be naughty then it's better to do it with tea than coffee.  

I've heard that decaff versions are a bit yuck too due to the chemical process it requires to decaffeinate so i actually just avoided tea and coffee altogether and went for herbal drinks or fruit juice or of course the thoroughly interesting water option instead.   ;D

Rooibosch (red bush) is great but personally as a serious former tea drinker I found it disgusting, it either had to taste exactly like tea or I'd rather not drink it at all.....

Green tea has the same antioxidants as normal tea but less caffeine (some people think it has  none but apparently not true).  It's supposed to be really good for CM production!

Incidentally girls nutritionists advise giving up or reducing your caffeine for more reasons than fertility - just for your general health.  I agree with Kristin, I did feel better and felt I recovered quicker between IVF cycles once I stopped caffeine (and did all the nuts and seeds and organics and water drinking thing). So even when it didn't seem to be working on the IF, it did make me feel better able to cope physically with the demands of tx.

Marilyn and Zita suggest you give it up mostly because it prevents absorption of vitamins and nutrients - and this applies anyway.  Also it does disturb your sleep - like Ellie I started to really notice the difference if I then had some caffeine.  
A woman I rate alot on nutrition, Jane Clarke, says that "overconsumption of caffeine reduces the body's ability to absorb iron (disastrous if you have iron-deficiency anaemia or heavy periods) and increases the loss of calcium from the bones.   While a cup of fresh coffee can kick-start a lazy gut and relieve constipation, it may equally aggravate an irritated acidic digestive system."

She goes on to say " I find a double espresso a good compromise because it doesn't contain as much caffeine as filter, percolated or cafetiere coffee"

"among coffee and tea's plus points are the antioxidants they contain, which fend off heart disease, delay the ageing processand speed recovery from a cold or infection.  Even decaff products have antioxidants - look for labels that indicate caffeine has been removed by the water method.  If you don't find this description on the label, assume the product's been exposed to unhealthy chemicals. "

So there you go.  Less appears to be more, but looks like the choice is yours!  Whatever you do don't beat yourself up - it's probably much more important to feel good about yourself.

Claire x

·
Registered
282 Posts
Girls

I cut out coffee last October when I started on the IUI cycles and where I am still not pregnant.

To be honest I agree with the girls before everything in moderation, cannot do us any harm.

Alison

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Claire anad Ellie thank you (and all others) for taking the time to write such long responses ... i found it really informative and 'm sure many others will as well.  I know what you both mean by Rooibos (I'm from South Africa and it comes from there) - its a bit of an acquired taste - but it has great health benefits.  Its quite nice to have with honey and milk.  You do need to let the teabag stay in longer than a normal one - but its not a taste for everyone!  Claire I never knew that about green tea and CM - might try it this month!  I am so with you on Green and Blacks chocolate - my DP always jokes and tells me if i ever give it up i should warn the comany so that they are aware of the market loss they are about to experience!!!!!
Alison i hear you on the moderation bit - I think there is the tendency to become quite manical around the ff thing (or at least i do)!!!
lots of luck to everyone on their journey
^rainbow^ ^fairydust^ ^rainbow^

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
HI SAFARI GIRL!
  LIKE FIDGET I AM NOT FOLLOWING YOU!! HONEST!! I CUT DOWN ON THE OLD TEA AND COFFEE AND STOCKED UP ON HERBAL TEAS. THOUGHT I WAS DOING THE RIGHT THING BUT THEN IT CAME OUT THAT HIBICUS (WHICH IS IN MOST HERBAL TEAS) IS BAD FOR YOU WHILST TTC :-\ WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO?? ??? ANY WAY I AM BACK ON THE HARD STUFF! DON'T MIND DRINKING DECAF BUT I DON'T GO MAD ON TEA OR COFFEE ANYWAY.
SEE YOU,
CLAIRE, :)
XXX.

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
Hi Claire, you may not be stalking Safari, but I am now stalking you  ^roflmao^  ........... only kidding!

Thats worrying because I am trying to cut down on my caffeine and have just discovered some lovely fruit teas that dont make me sick, one of them has Hibiscus in  :-\ does anyone know why its bad for you when ttc?

you know what girls, at this rate I may as well go join a convent!  ^eyes^ mind you they probably wouldnt have me  ^evil^ ^evil^

Debs
xx

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Claire and Debs - just to let you know i have reported you both for stalking!!!!!!  ^roflmao^ ^roflmao^ ^roflmao^  I have told the police to look out for your both ordering your decaffs/non hibiscus teas!!!!!
PS debs i went to a convent school for 12 years so i could put in a good word for you!! hahahahhahahaha

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
^shake^  they have to catch us first Safari  ^NahNah^

Its a good job we are ttc, least that leaves us with one vice   ^hump^  ^roflmao^ ^roflmao^

Debs
xx

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
HI,
JUST BROUGHT THE HIBICUS THREAD BACK TO THE TOP, SO IT SHOULD BE BELOW THIS ONE.
CLAIRE

P.S. I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE!!! HAHAHA!  :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Beware - I have planted a camera in your mouse and am watching you as we speak ....
At least if we get arrested for stalking we can always plead crazy!

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
^roflmao^ ^roflmao^ ^roflmao^

I have found my new home......... you girls are as crazy as I am...... You both just made me LOL in the office  :-X everyone is now giving me evils for upsetting the peace  ;D ;D ;D

^smash^ thats me beating up my mouse and any other spyware  ;D ;D

Debs
xx

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.