Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

can anyone tell me if they have tried the pcos diet and if it has helped with the symptom's of the condition?

I have quiet a high bmi and although I have lost about 1 stone and 8lbs since I was put on metformin I would really like to get my bmi down.

Also does anyone have any advice on blocked tubes, I found out last week that both of mine are blocked and I am having a hard time dealing with it  :'( :'(

I would appreciate any advise  ^feedback^

Love Charlotte

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hey charlotte, congrats on the weight loss.
I have started following the gi diet (rick gallop)as i've had a diathermy to remove the cysts. So i won't know if my diet's working until i go back for a scan to see if the cysts have come back. i'm glad the metaformin has been working for you. i have a bmi of 23 and they've suggested i get it down to 21 or lower!! So christmas will be a nightmare (no choccies for me...)
As for the tubes thing i'm not sure but i've heard that accupuncture and herbal remedies can help.
Have you tried looking on the internet??
Sorry i can't be of any help what so ever as i'm quite new to this, but hopefully someone else will give you some sound advice soon.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Dear Charlotte,
Not sure exactly how you define the PCOS diet, but I have been following a private consultant's advice for low carbohydrate (low glycaemic foods), low fat, healthy protein (fish and white meat), tons of veg and salad since March this year and lost 2 stone by September. I enjoyed a treat everyday when I exercised, no exercise no treat. I have also started exercising regularly each week.

I believe in the diet for wt loss, as the carbs are not tolerated well, but we do need them so it's important to eat low GI foods such as beans, peas, lentils. Eating 6 small meals instead of 3 has also helped. My tummy has definately shrunk and I can no way eat as much as I used to. Also, I'm drinking tons of water which is really good to help keep things flushed through, fill you up and for the complexion. The vegies, raw onion etc help with the bowels as it's easy to lose out on fibre intake when reducing carbs.

Don't give up on the blocked tubes. I read this week one lady (Dewy) who was told she had blocked tubes and needed IVF, and has got pregnant naturally whilst waiting! (See IVF folder).

[PS Sicknote: I'm really surprised it has been suggested you go down to 21 or lower as 23 is really good. My clinic said they saw no benefit of going lower than that. Suppose it won't hurt, as long as you don't go lower than 21! That's apparently as harmful as being too high. By the way what's rick gallop?] Love and hugs to you both.

^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hey there, have been told i need to get close to 21 as tx hasn't worked whilst i'm 23? They have said that even just loosing a few pounds can help but i really struggle, and have been the same size and weight since i was a teenager.
Rick Gallop is the author of the gi diet, it works like traffic lights - green you can eat, yellow you can eat when you get to your required weight and red you must never eat (unfortunately sausages are definately red - my favourite!!).You can find it at whsmiths online
Colette harris has also written a good book - pcos and your fertility -it has some diet stuff in there but it's really helpful with lots of fertility tips in there like what herbs and vits people with  pcos can take to help improve their fertility.
You should check it out
TTFN
Ju

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Hello Charlotte,
When i first started using this site, someone told me they were on the pcos diet and then a week or so later told me they were pg and thinks the diet must of helped. Obviously im not saying that its the miracle cure for all but it points to having some benefits.
Ive been saying ill start that diet "tomorrow" for ages, have got the book, im ready but certainly not raring to go!  ;D  (i love carbs so tomorrow never comes!). I would be interested to know how u get on if u try it.
The metformin didnt make me loose any weight,so im pleased for you (actually im gaining but i think thats cos of another drug!) good luck with the rest of the weight u wanna loose.
Im in a position similar to yourself, pcos and dodgy tubes!, i presume u had the dye test to see if they were blocked? well, i had a op to clear the adhesions from my tubes and open them up, mayb you could ask your dr bout this? it wasnt painfull really, it was key hole surgery.
Also, ive just had a op again cos one then decided to pee me off again by blocking with a fluid, which then has to be drained. Did your dr not tell u what was causing the blockage?. Its depressing but not the end of the world, i hope ive helped you with this, i really dont know too much about it, only know what ive had done.
hope you get on ok, contact me if u need a chat.
xXX
:-*

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi Charlotte!

I have PCOS and have no periods at all. When I came off the pill, I didnt have a period for 9 months. I then had clomid for 6 months, and whilst I ovulated, I unfortunately did not fall pregnant. After my last month of Clomid, I did not have a period for another 6 months. In order to commence any treatment, I have to have a chemically induced bleed (sorry for too much information!).

My BMI is 20.4 and I exercise every day. Almost all the food I eat is organic and I try and avoid anything containing sugar and caffeine. I also avoid all food that contains e-numbers. I dont have any PCOS symptoms, other than not having periods.

So, what I am trying to say, in a long winded way, is that being healthy and following a PCOS diet will work differently for everyone. Whilst it hasnt had the desired effect of resuming my periods, I am definitly am healthier and look better too.

Take Care

Purpleal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi ladies

Thank you all very much for your replies and your support.

I have lost a little bit more (3lb) but my problem is the same as summer p I LOVE MY CARBS  ;D ;D.  i have a copy of the GI foods and will make an effort to stick by them  ^evil^.

summer p, i did have the dye (hsg 18th Nov) and still find it hard to deal with.  It is good to know that there are things they can do to unblock them.  I have got am appointment with my gynecologist on Jan 14th to discus my options and i will mention what you suggested.

Can I thank you all again for you help and I wish you all the luck for a  ^BFP^ soon

Love Charlotte  :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Charlotte

Your question and the replies you have received answered a few of the questions I have.

I was told I had PCOS, the day after I returned from my honeymoon, 18 weeks ago.  I had the initial appointment with my consultant today, she has told me that I have a very high BMI and that I need to lose weight.  I have been given Metformin, however she has told me she will not perscribe me Clomid until I lose at least 3 stone.

My husband and I have been ttc for 2 years,

Can you give me any more info on the PCOS diet, like where I can get a copy from?

Congrats on your weight lose

:) :) :)

Gillie

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Hi Gillie

As people have said, the GI diet is really good for people with PCOS. There are a lot of books available to buy on Amazon. The GI diet by Rick Gallop is really good (he has a good website too) and also the PCOS diet book by Collette Harris is very good...you can buy both of these from Amazon, they deliver them within a few days!

I wish you the best of luck with your weight loss,

love Kate xxx

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Kate are you doing the gi diet? How are you getting along with it. I have been trying to do it for a few weeks, but have mad cravings for carbs late at night and am not sure what to do about it.. How do you cope?
Ju

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Hey Ju,

Errrm, well, that's the thing with me - really good about giving advice, not too great about following it myself!

Seriously though, I went and bought two books from Amazon about the GI diet. I did try Atkins, but found it way too hard to try whilst working (all that cooking!). I've found the GI diet pretty alright, mainly because its just sensible - not faddy or OTT. Its pretty common sense I reckon.

I find it alright, because at least you can eat fruit, some pasta and noodles, and the range of food is ok in that you can still just run into Tesco and grab something on the run (very hard with Atkins).

I suppose I live by the 80/20 rule, which means that for 80% of the time I try and stick to it, and the other 20% I just think 'sod it'!. I've still managed to lose 2 stone this way, and now weight around 9st 5lbs, which I'm happy with. Sometimes of course I go totally off the rails, and stuff my face with chocolate and biscuits, and I find that the key is not to feel guilty, and just start again tomorrow. Sometimes you are going to mess up, and eat all the wrong things but I think you just have to accept that as a fact of life - we're not perfect!

Carb cravings...hmmmm I tend to just give in if I REALLY want something, otherwise I get moody. If its not a bad craving, I try and have some nuts or raisins...can take the edge of it. I also get my cravings at night funnily enough, and as sad as this seems, I find the best thing to do is to make a nice big mug of tea (if it doesnt keep you awake!), take it to bed and go to sleep....you can't be hungry when you're asleep!

Anyway hun, ramble ramble ramble, just don't forget - you're only human and anyway, I've seen your picture in the gallery and you've got a wonderful figure and look stunning!

Love Kate x

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hey Kate,
Thanks for reply, at least i know it's not just me going mad with the carb cravings. Went to see the acupunturist today, she stuck a great big needle in my head (to help clear my headaches) she has told me to come home put my feet up and eat whatever i feel like (she thinks that i'm having headaches and feeling down at the moment because i've had such a lifestyle shift) so i'm going to eat normally and gradually work my way back to the gi diet to try and sort myself out.
I've never been on a diet before and was a bit taken back when dr suggested i loose abit of weight i am squadgy round the edges but i carry weight well (think it's cos i'm tall)dr's have said that our iui hasn't worked so far with me being this weight so i should try and loose a little,as even just a little can be all you need.
I have never even considered atkins - i don't like red meat and would never be able to drink enough water!!

I've been trying to buy organic fruit and veggies but tesco's is always run out and all the other supermarkets don't really offer it. Any ideas (apart from growing my own - i'm too lazy and have a dog that likes to dig stuff up!)
Good tip about the nuts and raisins - only prob is i hate them, have tried drinking fruit teas at night but the metaformin i'm taking is making me feel so hot that i can't drink anything warm.
Thanks for your support anyway
TTFN
Ju
P.s Hope you weren't referring to my internal picture - otherwise you need your eyes testing!!!!!!!!!!) ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
:) Hey again hun,

I think relaxing about diet is a really good idea. Don't mean to undermine your Dr but a BMi of 23 is near perfect anyway...20 to 25 is idea, so 23 is great! Any more weight loss would probably just be cosmetic...and you don't exactly look like you could do with losing any hun!

Talking of which I've just polished off a packet of Cadbury buttons  ::) and a mini trifle! Greedy me!!!

I got really obsessed with diet back before I joined this website, I was so stressed that my poor DH really began to get hacked off with it all (and me!).

I think we just have to find a balance that suits us!

Good luck with your next IUI, fingers crossed for u xxx

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Thanks lipgloss have just polished off 2 chocolate muffins and a bag of salt n vinegar kettle crisps - burst into teas  :'(in the middle of Tesco's earlier and dh bought me home and practically forced carbs down my throat. He says he's never seen me so depressed. :'( Am going to have my hair cut tomorrow and try and cheer myself up. :)
Here's hoping tomorrows better than today.
Ju

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello again ladies

thank you all so much for your relpies and support.  i haven't managed to but any of the book's yet and to be honest i am not sure i will.  i ave been watching what i eat a Little but the weight still seems to be coming off :eek: ::)

i am exercising a littel more but not loads i have started to walk more and thats about it.  i do have to agree with ju on the fact that you people are only human.  i have to admit that if i have a craving for something then i have it just not loads of it like i used to.  I love pasta but i don't like beans and lentils.  As for the organic food Sainsbury's always have a good selection so you may wish to try there.

i have stopped weighing myself, and am charting my weight loss on my clothes falling down when I walk.  so far I can now get into a size 22  :eek: ::) :) and am over the moon at that.  it is good to know that i was doing all the diets right a few years ago but the pcos was stopping me lose the weight .

love to you all

Charlotte

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
OHH NOT LONG TILL CHRISTMAS.
Am feeling in a better mood today, have nice new hairdo and have decided to cut back on my metaformin whilst re introducing my diet.
Congrats on the weight loss chazz, sounds like you're doing something right.
keep up the good work
Luv Ju

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hi ju

thanks for the supprot hun i have to admit i feel great.

i can't wait untill christmas i love it  ;D i am like a big kid  :)

i am glad to here that you are feeling better  ^banana^ ^clapping^. how many metformin do you take at the moment?

love charlotte

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Have only been taking 2 and taking one before i go to bed so i get the effects whilst i'm asleep!!!!(he he he)
Dr said i do seem to be having funny side effects... he's puzzled.
We had scan today and have 4 follies and will hopefully go for transfer monday...roll on christmas i hate the 2ww.
Glad to hear that you feel good.
Luv Ju

1 - 18 of 18 Posts