Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all,

Had my egg collection today and despite my initial worries they did retrieve my eggs so must of done my trigger injection ok.

However the process was different to experiences, first of all they could n t get the cannula in my hand and it absolutely killed so they had to resite it in my arm they gave me some sedation but apart from feeling a little drowsy I could feel everything and it was agonising to the point where I had to scream out and tell them to stop, further examination of my arm noted the cannula wasnt in properly so they resited it again back into my hand and I ended up haveing over the recommended amount of sedation and it still hurt, theyalso got the consultant in as they were considering changing to a general anaesthetic but decided not to in the end.

I originally had 26 follies but in the end had 17 eggs although they told my Dh who was spitting feathers by this point that they had to flush about 4 follies away because I was in too much pain.

I just dont understand this as all my previous ones I havent felt a thing and they havent had as much of a mutter of a complaint from me and I felt they thought I was been a baby a bit but believe u me it was agony.

They have also given me a course of antibiotics which they have never done before and i was too dopey to ask and my dh had gone off to eat a chocolate muffin in the canteen otherwise he would of blown up he was that angry.

I was there altogether for 3 and a half hours and since my return I have been hardly able to keep my eyes open I still feel doped up and my lower abdomen feels like a horse has kicked it.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Dawn33 :'(

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Oh hun, sorry you had such a nightmare egg collection.  :eek: I remember mine being painful initially until the sedation kicked in and feeling a bit sore afterwards but your experience sounds horrendous.  I assume they have given you antibiotics as they think you might get an infection!  ??? I would complain to the head consultant if I were you.

But very good news with 17 eggs, that's fantastic - I hope they all go on fertilise and you get your BFP.

Good luck  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Nic xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Dawn,

I had a similar experience to yourself.  When I went in to be sedated they couldn't get the needle in the back of my hand either and like you said it was extremely painful I also had to have in put into my arm.  I too went into the theatre and couldn't stop jumping as I felt everything that was happening and it really was painful.  Not sure what I was expecting but thought that sedation would take some of the pain away.

I'm really sorry that this was so painful for you but hope it will help to know that your not the only one!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Dawn

Just reading you post made me wince.  Hope your feeling better hun.  I too had a horrendous experience with my last EC.  I felt every bit of it and they also upped my sedation as i cried out and was really crying throughout the whole experience.  It got a little fuzzy toward the end due to the extra sedation but the experience was a nightmare.  I had 17 eggs also and was very uncomfortable for a few days afterwards.  I hope you feel better soon hun.  nu2

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi there,
Sorry you had such a rough time.  It sounds similar to my first follicle reduction for IUI.  They nearly didn't do the insemination because I was struggling and screaming - I think it really put the wind up my husband who was next door listening. I had a lot of discomfort for the next few days - could barely sit up let alone walk or go to the loo but it did pass. My second one was totally different as I demanded loads of drugs - they don't offer GA.  I think perhaps, looking back I was so uncomfortable with all the follies, tense because it was the first time and theyhad trouble getting needle in that I was so wound up that sedation didn't work as well.  The second time I had it it was a 'breeze' - there was also music in the background before they started and that was soothing.  Apparently whilst sedated I demanded that they put the music back on - they did and I was happy.  Am due for 1st EC next week and I think I am going to ask if I can take some music along to relax me  (plus a request for shed loads of drugs ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D)

I hope you are feeling better soon and all the best for your follies turning into beautiful embies,

Fitou

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi Dawn,

sorry to hear that you had such a bad time of it....at least it is over with now though.  I must admit after my egg collection I said never again (but I would if I had to) I didn't have it bad at egg collection because I had a GA but I was like a little old woman after and couldn't straighten up for over a week on standing and was walking really slow with bad stomach pains.
I too was given antibiotics, I just assumed it was the norm.  17 is a good number though...hopefully you will get some frosties out of those as well as a healthy pregnancy.

Good luck with the fertilisation and transfer etc.....
Take care
Zoe x

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi dawn
Sorrry to hear of your bad experience. I hate having the cannula fitted.too This time though I made sure I stayed very warm (blanket and gloves!) and got my whole arm going with a few exercises. The Dr put it into my arm near the elbow and I hardly felt a thing. The previous 2 times it was very painful and my veins spasmed. Don't know if this did the trick or the Dr was just a real expert at cannula fitting!!
Lots of luck with tx

Jingle

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your replies and sharing your similar experiences with me, I guess its a very emotional time and its good that we have this site to ventilate our thoughts and feelings.

Am due for et tommorrow have 8 embryos wont know grades until tommorrow.

Thanks again and take care all

Dawn33 ^sunny^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.