Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Sadly my Waitrose days are over! :( I have one months SMP left, but am going back to work in September and then only 3 days/ week. So given that we are already feeling the pinch from not having my salary, as from next month we will probably be on bread and water. So it got me thinking when doing the budget yesterday I bet lots of you lovely ladies have lots of mega money saving hints/ tips to offer me (us). Are there any shops own brand stuff you buy that are better and cheaper than branded (not just baby related). Do any of you regularly shop at the the likes of Aldi etc and what do you think? Where is the cheapest place to buy baby clothes? etc etc etc I'm sure I wont be the only one that is :eek: at the price of their weekly shopping bill.

Thrifty mummy hint number 1: Morrisons own brand weetabix- Almost 40% cheaper than Weetabix and just as good ( and I am a cereal snob) ;D

Thrifty mummy hint number 2: I only buy free-range chicken (used to work in poultry industry) :-[ and I got fed up with paying £4.50 for 2 mini chicken breasts. So I now buy a whole FR chicken for about £6 and portion it and can get twice as many meals and some great stock for Js meals.

Thrifty mummy hint number 3: Current offer in Pound Land. Swiffer style wet floor cloths. £1 pack for 15 cloths plus by 2 packs get a 3rd free. Gonna try them out tomorrow and will let you know if any good! Discovered the joys of Pound Land yesterday for the first time.

So come on other thrifty mummies, spill your bettabuy beans ;D

Melxx

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I used to get L's clothes in Woolworths or Asda - both do really nice stuff and I didn't find it to shrink much.  Matalan isn't too bad but I did find theirs shrunk a bit...

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
My tip for cheap babygro's and clothes is Asda ;D I know it's my second home Hoggle but I've bought them for friends babie's and they've asked where they are from as so good! They wash well, tumble dry great and general wear is fab. Personally much better than Mothercare b'gros as I found on Molly the buttons popped open at the bottom end, as she nearly outgrew them but they fitted everywhere else with room to spare ^idiot^ you can get 3 gro's for a fiver ;)

Supermarkets do great deals on nappies and wipes, if it's not Morrison's it's Asda, or Sainsbury's. At the moment Asda do two jumbo boxes of Pampers for £18! Think there's 88 in each :) I find the Pampers Sensitive wipes are best out all of them but now Molly is eating found I was going through tons of them so stocked up on Asda's own brand (currently on offer at 3 packs of 80 for £3) and much more cost effective. Use to them wipe her highchair over, her face, toys, etc!

Great idea for a post hun, we too need to watch the pennies :(

x

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hi,

It depends on whether you mind using second-hand things or not. If you don't, then it's a good idea to join your local Freecycle group. We have acquired a few things that way recently (books, toys etc.).

However, most of our LO's clothes and toys were given to us by friends with older children. So, we were very fortunate.

As for nappies - we find Tesco's own brand and Lidl's nappies are the best - and the cheapest. Lidl is also great for food - good quality and low prices, in my opinion.

I have also bought clothes in Asda and Woolworths.

Like you, Mel, I buy Morrisons' own brand cereals - our LO used to love their hot oat cereal - but has gone off cereal now!

Oh, I almost forgot - charity shops! We have boughts lots of books, toys and clothes from those too. You would be surprised what you can find - really excellent quality things at ridiculously low prices, plus the money goes to good causes.

I don't see any point in wasting lots of money on clothes that are only going to be worn a few times before they grow out of them. 

The only thing (just about!) that I wouldn't buy second hand are shoes.

HTH

Kasia

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Nappies Tesco own. apparently made by pampers or huggies can't remember which but cheaper. I use Tesco own frangrance free wipes too 4 packs for £3.80.  And i collect the points to pay for things like RAC membership so don't have to fit that into budget.

Clothes would agree on george at Asda, or I get things at Next Clerance either one near me or Doncaster.

Fruit and Veg we have started getting some from Aldi as have some really good prices, isabel eats quite a bit of fruit and get packs fo Apples/grapes etc 59p think they have different things on offer every so often.

Agree on Morrisons hot oat cerial Isabel likes that I don't like porridge but DH says its as good as ready brek

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
1) Do you have a local market or car boot? get your meat from the meat van and freeze it, you can usually get a big bagful for around £10, same when the big joints of meat are on offer in supermarkets buy it, chop it up into portions and freeze. you can usually get 3 or 4 meals out of one.

2) i try and buy own brands in most thing. i shop at tesco and buy all my sauces in own brand, as well as the nappies (out of all thenappies ive tried ive only ever got on with tescos and pampers  ;D ) i buy value kitchen roll, foil, cling film, you name it its probley value  ;D

3) Make your washing powder and conditioner last longer by putting in half the amount you use. you will be surprised how much further it goes.

4) same again with fruit and veg - do you have a local market? where i live it finishes at 4 so at 3 they start selling of bagfuls for a £1

4) clothes woolies have some nice stuff, tesco wait till they have a sale and get things then, even if its for the winter etc. They sell off all the coat beginning of the summer then again during if any left, best time to get one for the winter for around £4.

·
Registered
316 Posts
A friend swears by car boot sales, and judging from the bargains she's found - unused Mothercare baby bath for £1.50 and barely used pram for £20 - I'd say it's a winner.

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
FREECYCLE!!

this site is excellent and there are local ones all over the country.  It is designed to recycle rather than throw away, and i have had LOADS of clothes for M - in fact, as i don't have time to check it anymore it is only recently that i have had to start buying clothes for M (and while I have a bit of a soft spot for pumpkin patch, Primark is v cheap - if a little unethical!).

My sister has a garden full of Little Tykes etc playstuff, all from freecycle, i got my juicer from there, and i even saw a 32" plasma telly on there a few weeks ago!  You can get some excellent stuff.

It's also brilliant for getting rid of unwanted stuff - and unlike ebay people come and take it away!  We got rid of our old fridge, microwave and a load of other stuff to a newly married couple who had scraped everything together to buy a flat and just couldn't afford furniture.

It's very eco friendly and you can get some great stuff - some woman even came and collected my sis' old wine bottles for her garden so she didn't even have to take them to the bottle bank!!

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
face clothes for cleaning hands and faces saves the baby wipes.  I got a couple of really cheap packs from Primark or Ikea do a big pack.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Good thread, Im sure we all want some tips on this.

I buy lots of clothes for J in sainsburys, jeans for £2.75 in asda got pjs for £3 the other day. Plus I find sainsburys isnt too bad for adult stuff, t-shirts for me £3 and they've always got a reduced section which I have a rake through now and then -got a sun hat for j 90p Strange cause I dont buy food from sainsburys I find it more expensive

I buy asdas own baby wipes 6 packs for £5 I prefer them to the likes of Johnsons/huggies anyway plus they have a lid on them so they keep better. I use face cloth for hands and faces in the house too.

I half my washing powder too, generally Im only washing the stuff to freshen it up if its really dirty I use the proper amount.

Bath toys, my dd is much happier playing with old shampoo bottle and an old one of her stacking cups.

If your looking for childrens plastic plates/cutlery in Ikea I bought 6 bowls for £1/ 6 plates for £1 and 6 sets spoon, knife & fork for £1 - great because I have some and each sets of grandparents and aunties

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow guys knew you'd be brill at this!  ;)

Not heard of freecycle, so gonna check it out.

Problem I have is after years and years of being 'DINK'ys I didnt realise how much of a label/ branded snob I have become!  :-[  I wouldnt have dreamed of going into charity shops, discount shops etc.  But having a baby has really made me think.  That its not just about the money but what message would I be sending to J if I turn my nose up at anything that wasnt 'finest'!  I have also frequently thrown food away because we decided to go out for a meal instead of cook and it has gone past its use by dates.  (I used to set these dates on some food products, so somethings I wont ever eat past its date- trust me!!!!)  :eek:

So I am hoping my cost reduction exercise will be more than just about saving money.  Dont worry, I'm not gonna start waffling on about saving the planet instead (although I know I should do better here to), but just have a bit more respect for stuff and appreciate just how lucky we are.  Specially when you consider the plight of those poor people in Burma.  Really makes you think doesnt it  :-[ :'(

Right ramble over.

Keep em coming.  I knew I wasnt the only one!  :) ;) 

Mel xx

Edited- Right 1st challenge to you lovely ladies!  I have just finished the last of my Charles Worthington shampoo and conditioner and refuse point blank to spend near on £10 replacing it!  So given that I have to wash my hair daily can any one recommend a good/ cheaper shampoo and conditioner that doesnt leave any sticky residue on hair (eg pantene)?

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
http://www.freecycle.org/

Here's the link - it's fab, you wouldn't believe what people give away sometimes - or what people will take away from your house!! ;D

They are really hot on people trying to get stuff to sell - i.e. going against the spirit of what freecycle is about.

/links

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
I use cheap shampoo Alberto Balsam, now not sure about the resuide as I have other products on my hair (not that you'd tell needs cutting but can't afford the Toni and Guy prices i used to pay!) but the tea tree was rated highly by cosmo

I've got loads of freecycle too and given loads

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I used to use Tesco's own nappies all the time but not sure if they changed them or it was just J and M changing shape, but all of a sudden they were hopeless. I also find them very bulky and generally horrible (sorry, I know I am in the minority here!) and nothing like Pampers or Huggies (Morrisons are Huggies I'm sure ;D). I've now gone from never buying the more expensive brands to stocking up every time there is an offer on which saves a load.

Before you buy anything and I don't mean food but larger items, always google to find the cheapest possible. We recently bought a new TV several hundred pounds cheaper than an identical one in Comet. Also look out for second hand bargains in your local paper or netmum's site - I've bought some garden toys from there and ok they're faded, but they'll be faded by the end of the season anyway and at least I'm not so 'precious' about them.

I'm with Dakota on the value stuff although there are certain things I still buy the 'real' stuff of such as ketchup and mayonnaise (have you tried the Tesco's own mayonnaise??...........yuk!!).

Tescos will take one voucher for something you haven't bought so don't ever chuck them away, especially the Pampers ones which tend to be for £1/2 a time.

Plan your menu around what's on offer when you do your shopping but make sure you only buy stuff you're going to use! Alternatively shop online and have it delivered as you won't get sucked it by 'end of aisle' things.

Hogglebird - I was the same and a few years ago wouldn't have dreamt of buying some of the things I do now - I spent way more on my weekly shopping when there was just two of us than I do now there's 4!

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
~ Chux ~ said:
I used to use Tesco's own nappies all the time but not sure if they changed them or it was just J and M changing shape, but all of a sudden they were hopeless. I also find them very bulky and generally horrible (sorry, I know I am in the minority here!) and nothing like Pampers or Huggies (Morrisons are Huggies I'm sure ;D).

I completely agree - i always used tesco, then overnight they changed!

I also buy in bulk when there is an offer on - in fact i resent paying full price!! ;D

~ Chux ~ said:

Plan your menu around what's on offer when you do your shopping but make sure you only buy stuff you're going to use! Alternatively shop online and have it delivered as you won't get sucked it by 'end of aisle' things.

Chux xx

I need to plan my menu more - i have started food shopping on line and i am spending more!! i find i trawl the 'special offer' lists and buy things i would never dream of normally! and then when the order arrives i find i've missed anything important and end up having to go to tesco anyway!!!! ;D

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
sallywags said:
i have started food shopping on line and i am spending more!! i find i trawl the 'special offer' lists and buy things i would never dream of normally! and then when the order arrives i find i've missed anything important and end up having to go to tesco anyway!!!! ;D
^roflmao^ ^roflmao^ Sorry but that is soooooooo funny!!

·
Premium Member
6,986 Posts
Wooohooo loving this thread! Can you tell i love a bargain!! ;D

Well .... i am also a freecycler, have given loadsa bits away but also put in for a bit of stuff too, eg got a paddling pool and 200 balls (used as a ball pit atm) but i am one of the crafty ones i'm afraid where i put in for things i know i can flog on ebay! :-[ but at the end of the day it means i dont have to go back to work and get to spend time with DD. Plus we have a few jaunts out going to different places! eg i've had a pair of nearly new ice hockey boots sold them for £37. 6 packs of brand new laminate flooring sold them for £25. tyco remote control cars got a fiver. brand new next shoes etc. I know its a bit devious but i'm still recycling just that i get some money fpor doing it! ::)

Try
http://www.madaboutbargains.co.uk/?flash=24&flash2=26&flash3=29 for all the latest food shopping bargains

try http://www.localbargainfinder.co.uk/ if you want something specific nr to you. tend to be local pick ups so heavy items, and can get some good bargains. we got a little smoby car for DD like little tykes for £2

if your not bothered about old sleepsuits being ruined cut the feet off, you'll get another month or 2 outta them.

Quite a bit of supermarket own stuff is made by the big companies anyway.

Poundland / poundworld do great baby stuff, even stuff like disney bottles and cups for a quid!

if you only need fruit and veg, just go to your local greengrocer, that way you wont spend loads on stuff you didnt really need at the supermarket! This has saved me loads!

Kellogs have free tickets to the zoo with promo packs til next yr i think ...
http://www.kelloggs.co.uk/whatson/zoo/ZooFinder.aspx

Find out who's the cheapest petrol statio nr you ... http://www.petrolprices.com/

[red]This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.uk or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites[/red]

G

·
Hi there,
Great idea for a thread!  Hogglebird - we were so like you and I thought nothing of blowing £150+ plus on a skirt before these two!!!
We alway buy wipes on a minimum 2 for 1.  I managed to get an 80 pack of pampers on offer - we've found we don't have to change them as often as they aren't bothered as much.
We do all our own cooking so we'll make huge batches of bolognese sauce/chilli when tinned tomatoes are on offer. We also plan a week's worth of food and buy for that plus anything else we know we'll need if on offer e.g tomatoes, toothpaste, dishwasher tablets.  I got all that from my mum as she gave up work to have me and my brother.
I do most of the washing on 30 deg C and hang up to dry, rather than use the tumble dryer constantly.
I used to colour my hair myself and will do so again for a bit since it costs over £100 to have done.  I have bright pink in it but because it was originally done at the hairdresser, I know where to top up the colour (and bleach for when the roots show) which I do weekly - £3 for the pink dye they use!!

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
chux  :-[

G

·
Sallywags, I always forget the one thing that is desperately needed and have to dash down the road to asda!!

PS Wilkinsons are v cheap for branded kitchen cleaners

1 - 20 of 195 Posts