Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
41 - 60 of 195 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Blooming heck you lot!   ^gossip^

These tips are so fab!  Please keep them coming.

I have been extremely thrifty in the last 24 hrs.  I have made a summer quilted liner for my Icandy Apple and the material cost jost £9!!! The Icandy one is over £30 from new! Made it last night (didnt get to bed till 2am!)  :eek:  I didnt like the ones for sale and they are made from fleece too, so much too warm.  Any way J now has a large check red, yellow, green and blue liner, which If I do say so myself looks fab.  I even have enough material leftover to make a holdall for pushchair.

So feeling tried but thrifty today.  Lovely  ;D

AM Will email pic of my blinged up Apple! Ha Ha I have pimped up Js ride ;D

Elaine- Very thrifty re taking back to monsoon  ;)

Defo gonna look into Tesco vouchers.

Mel xx

Umm  Got me thinking now, wonder if it is possible to make a parasol too.  Now that would be mega thrifty!!!  Off to investigate.  I LOVE MY SEWING MACHINE lol

Hiya

Have only had a quick read through so apologies if I repeat stuff...

Sainsbury's unfragranced baby wipes are often on a 2 for 1 off which is good as they are only £1.09 to start with so I always do a big stock up  :)

Sales!!  Last year I got A a whole basic winter wardrobe (six months early!) in the Next sale for around £40 - and at Christmas I got a whole load of pj's, tops, trousers and a couple of jackets from M&S sale for less than £40 too!  Included in this was a £18 winter coat reduced to £4!!  You need to be very quick with the online sales as they sell out quickly (not sure I will ever be forgiven for popping on to M&S sale at 7am Christmas morning before the world got up for breakfast  :-[  ^idiot^  ;D  ;D)  Sainsbury's kids clothes are quite good too  :)

Definitely a Freecycle convert here too  :)  Have got rid of far more stuff than we have gained but A does have a fab toddler swing and slide in the garden now  :)

Fluffs xxx

Off to Sainsburys when C wakes up and my list isnt looking too thrifty... :p

Will report back!  ;D

the clubcard vouchers last 2 yrs so can save them up over time then convert all at once to get what you want and they last 6 months once converted.
with the baby club at tesco you get loads of vouchers of extra points if you buy certain things, but you don't always have to buy exactly that sometimes some glitchs so can spend less and get the points if you are saving up for the vouchers.

Another tip - buy your spuds from a local farm. You can get a big sack for around £5-£6 and they will last for ages and they do keep. much cheaper than buying small bags of potatoes from the supermarket.

Charity shops ~ im not always keen  ???  ;D but my nan did get L a walker from one and i said i didnt want it cas it was from a charity shop, she made me go to hers to have a look and im glad i did as it was like new. No marks, scrathes and it cost £3  :eek:  ;D Im not such a snob anymore  ;D

Fantastic thread,
Not actually a Mummy yet but this will be my last month of full pay on maternity leave so have been looking into money saving.

A)  Got a one month free subscription to which? online and discovered that unless you are buying Ariel bio powder, which is their best buy, then you might as well buy Asda own brand (not smart price just own brand) bio powder as it is 2nd best - as good as persil at getting out stains.

B) I agree with some of the other ladies that I now spend less on my weekly shopping by buying online and having it delivered as I don't pick up unecessary things.  Only prob is that you can't get the reduced stuff.

C) Someone earlier mentioned the 'Money saving expert' website for changing power providers.  I would also never buy any insurance products without consulting Martin Lewis first!  He makes no profit and just wants to screw the big multi-nationals  ;D His free mortgage guide even helped me to reduce our mortgage.

D) Got cheap and new muslins from ebay.

M1234

Good thread!

I got lots of great toys and clothes for M from charity shops - and we used to have a really good 2nd hand kids stuff shop locally - like a permanent NCT sale!  It was great but suffered from a rent hike  :(

Use a library for toys and books

Make your own playdoh from flour, water and oil - it keeps for 6 weeks in the fridge, you can make lots of it rather than the pathetic little pots of it you can buy, and is so much nicer to play with

There's an outlay at first, but you can often get up to £50 back from your local authority if you buy washable nappies - saves a fortune in disposables over the nappy-wearing life of your child

Have a look on the eco -parenting board too girls, alot of the tips for saving energy and water save you money as well  ;)

Claire x

Helloooooo

Back from Sainsburys... still managed to spend £85 for a weeks shopping. How does that compare to others? Did get BOGOF Fresh Pasta, Taste the Difference Alaskan Salmon, Pears and Apples, and Im sure a few other things. Ho hum ..... :-\

NCT sales are brillient, I LOVE them, got Caspar a cow print buggle snuggle for £5 at my last one which I was over joyed with. Saying that we didnt NEED it as we already have 2 but..... :p

Charity shops LOVE them,, apart from Cancer Research which is SOOOOO overpriced near us its ridiculous. Get Caspar books pretty much knew for 20p each.

Right shopping in town this afternoon with the men to 'save' money  ;D

Keep them coming, LOVING the suggestions  :)

L xxx

I don't buy any clothes for Daniel and Charlotte (other than school uniform, grr) at full price - I get clothes in the next size up in the summer and January sales (usually including the Next sale). If they happen to have grown too much for one or two items, I stick them on eBay as they still have the labels on and sell at a profit.

Jules

these ideas are giving me lots of good thoughts, I like the wipes from toys'r'us I used to buy the huge bumper pack and they worked out to be just over £1.50 and were the cloth type. (this was a long time ago thou) not sure if you can still get them?
xx

another thing if buying online go thru www.quidco.co.uk they give cashback on purchases normally a % but on things like insurance can be £50 + and they pay the money into your bank/morgage or Paypal

/links

Buying a breadmaker can save lots on the price of a loaf especially now. Even with a bread mix at 75p thats a lot cheaper. Plus if you make your own there are no nasties in it for your kids :p

tip for anyone with credit cards ~ Virgin are doing 0% on balance transfers for 15 months

Ive just had to do FIL's as he had no idea you could do this and he was paying off about £1 of his balance every month  :eek: after interest and protection, think i made his day yesterday when he realised he could have the balance paid off in 2 years rather than 40 years  ;D (seriously)

Elaine,
Shall we start a 'We love Martin Lewis' thread?  ;D ;D ;D
M1234

I buy a lot of C's toiletries (nappies, wipes etc) from Boots. He wears Boots own superdry nappies, boots own lavender bath stuff etc. We do use Huggies Pure wipes for him as they are the only ones his poor wee bum doesn't get sore from. But, the best part is that, as a member of the Boots parenting club, you get extra advantage points on baby stuff. I currently have about £30 worth of points on my card. I use them to buy presents, my little 'luxuries' or more baby stuff!! Plus, Boots often have £5 off various things with vouchers if you spend over a certain amount. Currently, it's facial skincare. I now have lots of lovely face stuff that I got for free or a fraction of the price!! I do have lots that I won't necessarily use so I'm planning on making up a pamper basket for my best friends birthday with the goodies!!

(My mum recently was able to pay for a new digital camera for herself with all her points!!)

My DH is an ex-trading standards bod, dealing with food labelling etc. If I take him shopping for food, he reads all the labels  ::) but means we get good quality food but cheaper. He now works for Iceland and we are awaiting his 10% discount card...........

OMG - I am the worse moneysaver in the world!
£85 for a weeks shopping sounds excellent. I have had a recent idea that doing 1 weeks shopping at a time makes me throw too much away so have made about 5 trips to shops this week spending a fortune (Sainsburys once, M&S twice and Waitrose twice) I reckon we've spent £300+. I'm going back to internet deliveries!
And as for freecycle, I never had any idea people sell stuff they get off there. I have given SOOOO much away - garden furntiure, IKEA chairs, shelving, clothing, shoes, toys, CD racks, carpet, pots, desk, ornaments, stairgates, the list goes on.....
I'd better pull my socks up (or my belt in!)

Just remembered -

I LOVE Poundworld!!  ;D ;D ;D

Get all my nice 'branded' cleaning products from there for a fraction of the price!!  ;D ;D Also, various treats like my large bottles of lucozade!!  ;D ;D

Always worth a nosey, anyway!!

Discussion starter · #59 ·
^bow^ Martin Lewis  ;D

Wow, cant believe how many responses this thread has prompted!  :eek:  I have also realised just how blooming wasteful I have been.  ^bigbad^ 

So many great ideas, I just want to go out and buy all of them  ;D 

Keep em coming!

ps the Poundland floor wipes (swiffer style) £1/ 15 wipes and 3 packs for price of 2 are fab! Have decided to use em up though and resort back to mop! 

pps Halved my washing liquid and clothes are just as clean.  Cheers girls  ;)

ppps Somebody stopped me to ask me where I bought my pushchair liner as she didnt know Icandy did that colour!  ;D  Felt dead proud when I told her I made it!  ;)  DH now wants me to make em and sell em on ebay- yeah as I have the time!  ::)

Mel xx

41 - 60 of 195 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.