Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

I think I may have thrush, but I can't be sure as I've only had it once, when I was 17, and I've forgotten what its like!
The past 3 days (I'm 6dpo) my CM has been very very thick, white and creamy, and (TMI) theres lots of it!
I have an appt with my pratice nurse, but its not until tomorrow.
I think I'd rather rid it by natural methods (starting FET next cycle, and I'm not sure if the pessaries are ok?) so I'm off out today to stock up on cranberry juice and natural yoghurt.
Is there anything else I can do - and does this sound like thrush?

Marie xx

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Hi Marie,

I used to suffer with thrush very severely. It got to the point where i had it most months just before or after my period. sometimes i would get it only mildly and others i would be in agony with it.

Its hard to say from your symptoms if you have thrush. When i used to get it mildly it would feel slightly itchy and uncomfortable and when i had it severely it would be so bad (especially at night) that I would be in tears from the pain. I stopped getting it when i came off the pill.

If its sore you could try sitting in a shallow salt bath. Natural yoghurt on a tampon is instant relief but im not sure either of these will actually cure thrush.

You can buy a tablet over the counter (i think its called diflucan) which you take by mouth and i found it cleared it up after just 24 hours. Tell the pharmasist you are having fet just to be on the safe side although im sure it would be fine to take.

Would be best to get advice from your gp to rule anything else out.

Good luck for fet,

L xx

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Marielou

I get thrush constantly, I never really found the cream or tablet from chemist helped me. But you may be different.

I always give the thumbs up  ^afro^ to live yoghurt, works wonders with me. 

SUZ
XXXX

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks girls,

I am kinda sore - itchy and just 'sore' but not as bad as poor leanne sounds!  ???   
I bought some cranberry juice and yoghurt and will try that, if it hasnt worked by saturday I'll buy some of the tablets,
Thanks for the advice girls!

Marie xx

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
Marie

Just to reiterate what Leanne has said. I too am a serial Thrush sufferer. Even had it in my mouth once as a baby (according to my mum). Diflucan works well on it if it's too bad. I also have some pessaries (prescribed) that work well and provide instant relief from the soreness.
Also useful to avoid yeast products, anything antibiotic (as this will kill off the good bacteria that keeps thrush at bay). Someone did tell me that these live bacreria drinks (Actimel etc). are good for keeping thrush under control. I did start drinking them about a year ago and, I have to say, I don't think I've had a bout of thrush since so maybe something true in that. I'm guessing they work in a similar way to live yoghurt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Marie,
Sorry you're suffering.

I too have suffered from terrible thrush at times, at one point seemed to have it constantly for about 6 months. Have tried almost anything going to get rid of it (go easy on the pessaries and cream, as these seemed to make it worse).

One thing that always works is eating as much fresh garlic as possible, and taking a garlic supplement everyday. For the soreness, you could try sitting in a bowl/bath of slightly warm salty water. Alternatively, and sorry if tmi, use any empty syringe filled with cold bio-natural yogurt, to squirt up! Very messy, but worth it!

Not sure about the cranberry juice. Thrush is worsened by sugar, so therefore juice may not be a good idea. Try cutting out all processed sugars in your diet as well.

Hope this works
*poppy*
^daisy^

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Marie,

Meant to add that if you do have thrush, you're partner may need treating as well. Even though he may not have any symptons, you will pass it back and forth between you. Obviously, yoghurt and salt water will not work for him, but Diflucan will!

*poppy*

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hiya all

Myself and a few others I know thought we had thrush and turned out to be bacterial vaginosis, very common but treatment is different.  We're susceptible due to changes in hormonal activity, worth check out surely?

Hope it's not too uncomfy!

Lolly XXX

·
Registered
268 Posts
hi girls re the thrush debate.  I too have it often however like lollipop had it once and it wouldn't go away and it turned out I had an infection called trichomonas that can be caught from using damp towels, hot baths , saunas jacuzzis etc.  Had to have antibiotics to clear it up.

Now thought I had thrush again recently and it started after a hot bath i fancied.(I usually have showers).  Now wondering if its reappeared.  The symptoms very similar to thrush, creamy white discharge and the itching but I also had pain on the bms. So off to gp tomorrow to see the nurse and get swabbed as due tyo start tx in 2 weeks. That won't happen if need antibiotics again  :( 

Ps its also catching and dh would need antibiotics too!

·
Registered
391 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts