Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
^hello^

This may be strange but I just thought I would ask your advise.....

for the last week or so Zak has found his thumb and decides he would prefer it to the dummy, now I for one am not too fussed at the moment but was wondering if the thumb is worse than the dummy ie you can take a dummy away but not the thumb  ::) and may cause more long term problems than a dummy.

Any advise or opinions are really appreciated as I don't want him to get too stuck in his ways with the thumb.

Much love

Shezza

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Hi Shezza,

Kitty sucks her thumb too, i've just let her do it.....she wouldn't take the dummy anymore anyway. I was a thumb sucker too and despite my granny telling me my thumb would wither away and i'd get buck teeth, i'm absolutely fine ;) I gave up when i was 5 or 6.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do,

Lizzy xxx

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
hi Shes

i cant really say which one is best for a few weeks now Mia has started to suck her finger before i now it her whole fist will be in her mouth i think she is defiantly going to be a thumb sucker but the last few days she has started to take to a dummy after months of trying but she gets fed up of it after a while and turns back to her fingers i cant win eather way lol so i just let her get on with it

love baby wisper

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi Shezza

I tried Rebecca with dummies but she just wasn't interested. At around 3 months, she discovered her thumb and has been a thumbsucker (like both her mummy and daddy were) ever since. DH was horrified at first and used to pull her thumb out whenever she sucked it, saying it will ruin her teeth, but i don't mind (mine weren't ruined).

Personally, i don't think you can really stop Zak sucking his thumb, if that's what he really wants to do.

On the positive side, he'll always have is thumb, he can't lose it or throw it out of his cot! And it doesn't need sterilising!

Good luck

Gill x

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

Thanks so much for your replies, Zak is determined to suck his thumb and even pops his first finger above his nose sometimes too (very sweet to see  :) )

Like I  said I'm not too fussed at the moment just wondered what the best long term solution was. He defo prefers his thumb but when he is tired and whinghy he does like his dummy and that calms him down a treat.

I will leave things as they are for now and keep you all posted  ;)

Thanks again

Love

Shezza

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi

Just wanted to say that Benjamin always sucks his thumb too. Infact when he was a few minutes old he had his thumb in his mouth. I did try him with a dummy, but he didnt like it at all.
Karen

·
Registered
307 Posts
Aw Shezza

Rebecca does that too, hooks her forefinger over nose! Isn't it cute!  :)

She also hold her right hand with her left hand, just to make sure the thumb doesn't fall out!

Gill x

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Shezza

Hi

Laura used a soother (dummy) and loved it - and is still trying to break the love affair.  I was worried, but my dentist said it was much better than sucking a thumb as the soother is designed not to distort their teeth.

I think it virtually impossible to stop them sucking their thumbs. I shared a flat with my bro until I got married and once caught him fast asleep with his thumb in his mouth - aged 24!!! (He'll kill me for putting that here if he ever finds out! LOL)

Fee xxxxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
I didn't give Jack or Ben a dummy.  Did try both of them once though in a moment of desperation, but they didn't want it and a couple of months later weren't looking for it anyway, so am glad they didn't want it first off to begin with really.  They both did start thumb sucking at about 4-6 months old, but each time I saw them put their thumb in their mouth I took it out and really think I broke the habbit before it got too deep rooted.  Might've been a bit mean, as I know some babies just like to suck something, but they got over it!  :)  So, no dummies and no thumb sucking.  I know that might not work for every baby, but I am pleased I don't have either habbit to break now! 

I think it's easier to eventually break the dummy habbit though, because there are not many adults who use a dummy, but there are plenty of adults who still thumb suck! 

So, in answer to the question, I suppose I'd say dummy is best.

Jayne x

·
Registered
307 Posts
Ooooh Jayne!!! You big meany!!!  ;D

Gill x

·
Premium Member
9,111 Posts
Carol.....have you got any new photo's of Luke taken lately...would love to see how much he has grown ! :)  x x x

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aw thanks Carol,

He really looks like Nay though too. Aint it weird how they look like both of you in different ways!

I've put some more piccies up in the gallery too.

Thanks for all your replies gals.

Love as always

Shezza ^monkey^

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.