Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

361 - 380 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I didn't realise it was HFEA advice, my consultant just said that she wouldn't want to use steroids. It is all a bit confusing expecially as the advice varies.  Flipsy: were you on aspirin and clexane because of previous miscarriage?
Babybird: I hope you can get on with it. I wonder whether I should say I want to use steroids anyway and shield?

I still am not sure how long I would have to take all these drugs for if I get BFP.. Any one know?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey, as far as I know (I’ve been told by 3 separate clinics) the use of steroids and intralipids for the purpose of fertility treatment is actually banned until the HFEA lifts the ban. And apparently they hate intralipids so will probably drag their heels on lifting the ban on those 🥴 I have emailed them myself to try and find out when they’re likely to lift the ban so will let you know when they get back to me....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Crikey, OK thanks, be really interested to know what they say xx

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi, I just had consultation with a reproductive endo which was really helpful. He didn't seem to think my TPO is too high at 60 odd and is sending me a list of tests to have via the GP hopefully. He said clexane and aspirin should cover most auto immune stuff and that he thought that the steroids could be used on a case by case basis so he is going to recomend it.. so I'll let you know what the clinic says about that. Scary to be taking all these things but hey....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Ladys,

Sorry this is a long one!

I'm new to the world of thyroid problems. I went to Cyprus (due to my BMI) in October for my first Ivf cycle, I developed OHSS so I couldn't have an egg transfered. I went back in January for a FET which unfortunately didn't work. DH's sperm isn't great and that's what we thought our only problem was. Before I went out for my cycle I had blood tests done and my TSH levels were quite right but the clinic or GP never mentioned any problems with the results. I have for a long time had periods of swelling around the bottom of my throat but never really thought much about it and it tends to come and go.

I was due to have a second FET in April, in February my thyroid felt swollen so thought it was worth seeing the GP incase it could be something that would affect the FET. So, after a blood test the GP realised that there could be a problem and I was rushed through to endocrinology, my TSH level was well below normal at less than 0.05, TS4 was normal at 15.7 but ts3 was high at 8.1. I was put on Propylthiouracil in the home that everything would be in the normal range by the time of the FET. The FET was obviously cancelled due to covid, my follow-up blood test showed that the tablets had made nodifference, my results were almost identical and my TPO antibodies were 195. The consultant has held 6 weekly telephone appointments with me since March and keeps telling me that my thyroid won't be impacting on my fertility but everything I've read seems to suggest that it will. Since then my ts3 and 4 are in the normal range but TSH is still less than 0.05. I've finally got a scan of my thyroid next week as the GP thought it was quite swollen on one side. Its gone down at the minute so I'm really hoping it flares up again for the scan! Has anyone else been in a similar situation or am I just wrongly hoping that this explains my failed FET?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi,

Sorry you're going through this, the thyroid absolutely has an impact on fertility and can affect other hormones like oestrogen.  Your TSH is a bit out of normal range, but actually, for fertility it's pretty good, as they prefer hyperactive to hypo when trying for a baby, and aim to keep it under 2.  As long as T3 and T4 are in the normal range you should be fine.  My endocrinologist keeps my TSH levels about 0.05 to help with fertility.  Having said that, my thyroid is controlled with medication, whereas it sound like yours isn't. 

Whereabouts do you live?  I'm lucky to have a really good NHS endocrinologist, but I know a lot of people have gone privately to Dr Conway in London.

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Hi desperatelady

I would say your TSH is still abnormal and i would still say its too high to be the best environment for implantation. Optimal TSH is around 1- 2 for fertility purposes, so it sounds like the PTC isn't cutting the mustard, what dose have they got you on? I wouldn't proceed with another FET until this is all under control. If you have swelling on one side you might have a *hot nodule* and is a spot of abnormal thyroid tissue that is causing the hormones to go haywire.

I know exactly how you feel, its just another obstacle in the way of an already long drawn out process but it really does need sorting out before you go again.

Good luck with it all xx

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thank you for your replies Artypants and NJR.

I'm not currently taking any medication, they took me off it after about 3 months when it hadn't made any difference. I'm based in North Yorkshire, the GP was really good at getting me straight in touch which an Endocrinologist but I still haven't actually seen one in person due to covid, even in February the appointment was over the phone and I've waited a while for the scan I've got next week. It's sods law that the swelling has gone down this week, I'm really hoping it comes back for Wednesday. I haven't booked in for my next FET, I want everything to be right but it's so frustrating that everything is taking so long.

Does anybody know if high thyroid antibodies can stop a implementation? I've found it pretty hard to find much online.

X

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Thats a shame you are not on anything, but that will probably work out better for your scan as it will be seeing the real situation rather than a medicated one.

I did get pregnant with very high antibodies in 2017 but I had a chemical pregnancy as I was unaware at the time that I had thyrotoxicosis which is not a good place to be. That was my last ever go and I am gutted it ended that way. I would get on top of the situation as once its under control you should stand a much better chance.  My antibodies have never recovered but as long as everything else is in order you can get pregnant and stay pregnant. I also took steroids and intralipids which would have helped with the antibodies.

xx

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm so sorry that yours turned out to be a chemical. The doctor has said it's toxicosis that I had/have. The thought of getting pregnant and then it being a chemical or miscarriage absolutely fills me with fear, I don't know how I'd cope. I was told I'm 4 times more likely to miscarry. My IVF clinic suggested trying intralipids next time but the consultant had never heard of them.
Are you going to try again?
X

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
It was such a sh1t time as we knew it was the last go and we have given up now, my health just couldn't take it again, we have one miracle so we are lucky in that respect.

Its definitely very toxic to be in that state so glad you are getting better, if your clinic doesn't know about the intralipids maybe ask about a small dose of steroids, the UK clinics aren't as convinced about intralipids as they are abroad so its the pot luck if the do offer them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to read that it was your last go Arty, I've only had the one round so far but the thought of doing it all again is heartbreaking not to mention the cost. I was in a lot of pain with the OHSS, we really put our body through a lot when doing this.

My ivf clinic does intralipids and they are happy for me to have them when I have my next FET but my endocrinologist didn't know what they were.

I had my scan on Wednesday, there was a small nodule on one side but the radiographer said he didn't think there was anything unusual. I can't believe that I had no swelling or soreness on the day of the scan. I'm really hoping that this doesn't mean that the endocrinologist will say there's nothing wrong and end my appointments. I've got a telephone appointment with them next week.

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
I hope they don't bump you off either, they usually get you treated and under control before they do that, its quite daunting to think about the implications but they won't leave you untreated.

I really hope you don't have to go through too many cycles, its soooo expensive and emotionally draining, I absolutely cannot imagine any of this with Covid onto too!

I wish you all the best

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hi shelving, my reproductive endocrinologist said to keep tsh levels below 2 and mine was 3.85. He wants me to stay on the levothyroxine and metformin for insulin resistance to help with the weight loss. If you want his details let me know and I will pm you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there,

Not sure if anyone is still reading this post but I will cross my fingers as I am at a bit of a loss and would love some advice.  We were hoping to start IVF at the end of the month.  We previously thought I was fine and it was just my husband's sperm that was the issue.  However, about 6 weeks ago I was told my TSH is 3.87 and I had anti-TG antibodies of 550.  My clinic didn't seem too worried and just prescribed my me 25 mcg of Levothyroxine and said it wouldn't stop me from cycling.

I had another blood test just before Christmas and my TSH is now 3.78.  Having read through all the previous posts it sounds like it is still too high, my clinic said they would up my dosage to 50 mcgs and give me another blood test in 2 weeks time, which is approx. a week before I'm due to cycle but don't see it as any reason as to why I should wait.  But I'm still worried.

What do you think?  Should I be waiting until it is under 2?  Any advice and suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Hello Fredders

I hope I can help a little as I am sure you are feeling a bit overwhelmed with worrying about your TSH. Ideally it should be under 2, but the normal range is up to 5 so most doctors won't think you have a major issue if your numbers are still within a normal range. However, they may not be aware that for fertility reasons the optimal range is under 2. 25mcg of thyroxine really wont do much for you as you can see, it should be 50 to make any sort of improvement so the sooner you can up your dose the better. If you have a chance to hold off treatment until things change then I would.  Hopefully once you are on a higher dose your numbers shouldn't take too long to creep up to the right levels. There isn't a great deal that can be done about antibodies unless you go down the route of steroids which probably isn't idea in covid times.

Wishing you a fast improvement so you can get back on the treatment path.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have similar issues. On the day of transfer my TSH reading was 3.4 while on 75mg eltroxin. We were very surprised as it was previously managed at this dose. it was upped to 100 and it dropped to 0.9 in a matter of weeks.
I am 8 weeks pregnant from that transfer but I have a history of chemical and failed implantation and autoimmune is likely.

I am also still on prednisilone small dose and clexane

So it possible to get pregnant with high TSH within the ‘normal range’ but I believe this was part of my past issues.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello - Just reaching out to the others in this group as its been a while since someone's posted. Is this still a live thread? Would be good to get to know others in the same situation. Looking for some hope/advice.

361 - 380 of 380 Posts