Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi despite my best intentions it now looks like I am going to have to take time off sick to cover EC - ET time period (had originally booked A/L but now all my dates have changed and I can't get the A/L for new dates).

How have other people who've done this handled it?  Did you tell people that you had a short notice op. coming up so they were forewarned, or did you just phone in sick.

Did you get a sick certificate?  If so who from, Clinic or GP and what reason was stated on the certificate?

I'm only planning 5 days at most, unless I am ill  ;D

Also did anyones boss question it when you announced a BFP shortly after the time off sick/minor op?  (I'm thinking positive here  ;D )

Thanks

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi, I have had to take time off sick for tx in the past as we need to travel.  Initially I didn't want anyone to know what was happening and I got a certificate from the clinic which said something suitably vague about day surgery and time needed to recover.  I had previously been signed off for Ops relating to treatment for my Endo so no-one thought anything of it.

As we went down the line having treatment, I actually ended up telling my boss what was going on as I felt I needed his support.  He was great about it and we actually agreed that I would just do some extra hours from home to cover any days off and it wouldn't then impact my sickness record.

Hope this helps.

Foxylady xxx

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Hi,

Just recently had a similar situation myself. Agonised over it for a while and eventually called in sick for EC - which was a Tuesday. Managed to go in Weds/Thurs - was a bit pale and uncomfortable but passed it off as lingering tummy bug, and have a desk job so not too difficult. For ET on Fri I worked from home (lucky that I can do that occasionally if no meetings planned), recuperated over the weekend and was back as normal on the Monday.

Didn't need a sick note as only off for one day in the end.

And it didn't work, so didn't need to handle that part of it. But think I would have waited until at least 12 weeks to announce anyway, by which time they would all have totally have forgotten about my 'tummy bug'....

I know how stressful it is juggling work and tx, and I hated lying to my manager and colleagues but at the end of the day I felt that I have given them 5 yrs of complete dedication to my job, and that I had to put myself first this time round. 
This whole thing is tough enough as it is, so whatever decision you make, make sure it's the one that keeps you as calm as possible...

Good luck!
Laura
x

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi,
My hubby had time on the sick and got a sick note from doctors stating it was 'stress' that was the problem. GP's seem quite good with keeping tx as secret as you want it to be.
As for the BFP announcement don't worry about it, these things happen any time so it's just a coincidence that you've had time off before hand. The 'stress' mentioned on the sick note could have been from you feeling a bit poorly and strange things going on with your body and you didn't know what was happening? Good luck
Sarah xx

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I didn't want 'stress' on my records as it could jeopardise certain jobs in the future. So my GP put gynae procedure under anaesthetic and post op recovery- which EC and the recovery is the 2WW. He has always done this for my 4 cycles.
Good luck

·
Registered
221 Posts
I  was honest with my boss as i would need to travel to london for my treatment,we have decided as my job is physical that i will take all 2wks of ,at mo i have 4 days hoiliday due and hope to make the hours up by working extra hours in run up to ec ect...this is what im doing at mo for all my appointments,but im lucky i only work 3 hours a day so not much to make up..

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I teach 6 year olds & always take the 2ww off work - my boss has been excellent, but this might be partly to the fact that a) I have worked bloody hard for him for the past 7 years & b) I showed him an article from the NUT website showing that women should be given time off work for ivf otherwise it can amount to sex discrimination (presumably as it's only women that can find themselves in this situation!)

My job is quite physical and I feel that if I am spending £6k each time on treatment then I need to be sensible & give it the best chance of working.  I make sure I do some catching up of paperwork & I have to plan all the work for the Supply Teacher for the 2 weeks.  I also turn down my day that all our teachers get for report writing and the other day we get for end of year assessment.

I have told people at work why I am off (not the parents!) as people cover me when I am away from my class so I think it's only fair to be up front about it.

I am 100% certain no body I work with begrudges me this time off as they all realise how heart breaking IF is - maybe I'm just lucky to work with lovely, supportive people!

I think if you're open & honest with people they are unlikely to be not want to help you out - after all, would you wish this on anyone?!

Good luck!
Love Jess xxx

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

In an ideal world I would tell work, but I'm not sure how sympathetic they'd be and I can't help but feel that if I was TTC naturally they wouldn't know about it so why should they know about it cos we've got problems?

I wish I was able to work flexi time as that'd make it so mauch easier but unfortunately thats not an option in my job.

For those of you who got a sick certificate from your GP, did you discuss it with them prior to tx to get them on board, or did you just see them at the time you needed the certificate?  JJ1 I agree with you about not wanting "stress" as a reason as I think that looks bad in your record.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Probably best to mention it next time you see them x

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't see my GP  ???

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I made an appt and told him about the tx- after all I have nothing to hide from him, and then said I would want a sick cert from EC - 2ww test day, and so I would ring the receptionist up when I knew when EC would be and he just left it for me to collect.  I also said that I knew how busy he was and didn't want to waste one of his appt slots as I know he has sick people to treat ad I am not sick at the moment and didn't want to waste his time (or mine!!) - I do lots of  things with him on the phone, like ask for blood test forms etc. and he just leaves them at reception or posts them out.
Ring and maybe have a chat to him
L x

·
Registered
566 Posts
Don't know if it helps but I have always got my certificates from my cons rather than GP, not sure if you see one?

Foxylady x

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will ask tomorrow if I can get a certificate from my cons, if not then I'll have a chat with my GP.

thanks again xxx

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi

You should be allowed to self cert yourself for up to 5 days  :)  If you require longer then I would go to your GP and get them to extend your note. 

All the best

x x x

·
Registered
20 Posts
My work gave me medical leave (different from sick leave).
Tell them you are going in for an op and need time for that and recovery, if you don't want to tell them the whole thing.
Our consultant said that if work gave me any grief that he would write to them, so that may well be worth trying.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ended up telling my boss the whole story, and guess what - he's had fertility treatment in the past too!  So he's been really good about letting me have the time off I need.

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Ah that is great news  :)  :)  :)

When they have been through it you normally find they are more understanding.

Wishing you all the best

x x x x

·
Registered
72 Posts
You would have thought, but my boss has been through it and is proving to be less symapthetic than I would have expected. It's such a stressful time, you don't need work making it harder. I've been going to work after my IUI treatment, but in the 2ww have been feeling really grotty and had some time off sick which they are looking down upon. If I had just been signed off for two weeks with 'medical' procedure of something similar, I wouldn't have a problem. You live and learn. :-\

·
Premium Member
6,864 Posts
Hi all

sorry to stick my oar in, uninvited and all, and glad your boss was sympathetic Piepig, but for anyone else reading this with a less than sympathetic employer, my advice is NOT to self-certify, particularly if you're an unlucky one like me and have to have multiple tx. 

My understanding is that self-certified days can be used against you in an employment tribunal but this is not the case if you've been officially signed off by a doc.  I could have got that wrong or misinterpreted what I was told by a friend who did have problems with her employer, but that is my understanding.

All the best

x

·
Registered
72 Posts
That is what I thought. From now on if I have any time off it will be certified. I didn't think I would have to worry about it before now, my employers *seemed* to be very supportive, until now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts