Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Time off work for IVF?

Can anyone tell me how much time I am likely to need off work for IVF treatment?  I am anticipating around three days (Egg Collection Day + 2)?????? but do not really know.

I have never had any time off sick & would feel guilty about this.  I have a demanding job which is centered around a particular time of the month.  I would not be allowed to book holiday around this crucial time so my only option if treatment were to fall around this time would be to phone in sick.  I also would not want my employers to know the reason for my absence.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Karen

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Hiya Karen,

Firstly good luck with your treatment  ^fairydust^

It really depends on a few things, eg/what kind of job you do and how many eggs they end up retrieving. (You're a bit more sore if you are lucky enough to get lots)

I think I am still a little bit sore 2 days after EC if I remember rightly. If somehow you do manage to book leave, maybe book from EC to 1 day after ET, just so you can be sure you're covered. (You do feel a little bit 'fragile' after ET too, the ET itself is fine, but you just feel like you want to be wrapped up in a big cotton wool bubble for a day, IYKWIM)  :)

I have had my 2ww's off too, but my job can be quite stressful, so I wanted to give it the best chance I could to work.
Saying that though, if your job isn't stressful and you're sitting down a lot, then I would say maybe just EC +2/3 would be fine (ie/EC-ET) (that looks like a complicated maths equation!! lol )  ;D

I can remember though that most of the worst of the soreness from EC had gone by ET (if that helps at all) Plus I remember thinking after the first time, that it was miles better than I expected  :)

Anyway now I've totally confused you,  ::) ;D

Lots of luck

Luv Angie x x

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi Karen

Everyone is different,  on my first IVF EC was a breeze i didn't have any pain or discomfort, it was mentally taxing waiting for the phonecall the next day though to see if any of the eggs had fertilisied....The second IVF EC was horrendous, i did get more eggs, but by god was i in pain,and this lasted till 1 day after ET.......

Angie is right about how you feel after ET too, you do feel like you are carrying the crown jewels around with you  ;D ;D

If being off work will cause you more stress in the time after ET then obvioulsy go back to work, but it is how each person reacts and their job environemnt

But i would agree with taking time off between EC and ET as mentally you may not be all that with it (in the nicest possible way )

Good luck with your treatment

Netty

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Hi Karen

I had my egg collection on Monday and signed off for the week.  My transfer was supposed to be today but it's been postponed due to OHSS and I'll get a FET instead.  I'm still feeling sore now although I'm fine when I'm sitting.  Moving around is a bit of nightmare though!

I would definitely recommend taking the time between EC and ET off.  I'm a teacher and have missed the final week with my senior classes before they go off on study leave for their exams so I felt extremely guilty about this.  However, at the end of the day, you and DH's future should be more important.  I know it's very difficult to think like that though!  ^hugme^

Good luck
Susan  ^fairydust^

1 - 4 of 4 Posts