Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ladies what things can you recomend to buy and not to buy.

for example...moses baskets???
              ...bouncy chairs????

i havent got a clue whats good or not.with twins its a difficult decision as it is. ^idiot^

hayley

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Awww, fab bump Hayley!!

Mmmmmmmm, my best buy I'd def say is a baby swing!  I got a fisher Price, Flutterbye one, and it's been a total godsend...  It settles my lo when nothing else works!

Moses baskets are handy, but dont spend a fortune on them as they only get used for the first few months.

I guess with twins it'll be worth looking at a good buggy / pram, best to ask others with twins for help for best one... I'd immagine one which fits easilt through doorways and not too heavy is good.

Helen xx

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
The only things i have bought thats beena godsend is bouncy chair and playgym. Wouldnt of been with out them. L's not to keen on his playgym since hitting 3 months as he is so nosey likes to be upright so he can see whats going on.

Moses basket ~ If you can get one second hand i would. Dont spend a fortune as they arnt in them long.

Nappy wrapper ~ I had one given me, but you get a voucher for a free one form argos in your bounty pack they give you in hospital, so dont buy one  ;D I ended up with 2, and dont use either one.

Muslin squares ~ The best thing to have, i know mothercare do a big pack. Great for helping to keep your clothes free from sick  ;D

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I tried to keep what we bought to a minimum, as we didn't have a huge amount of money to spend.

We went for a crib instead of a moses basket as we have a large dog and I was worried he could knock over a basket just by wagging his tail, as I didn't feel the stands are strong eneough. Depending on the size of your bubs a basket/crib will last around 6 months, so if you can borrow them, or buy them second hand you will save yourself some money, as they don't really "wear" out. Just buy yourself new mattresses to go inside them.
I think we paid about £60 for a lovely crib on ebay, and the starting prices in mothercare were £100, and if you want two.....

We also had the fisherprice flutterbyes bouncy chair and its was brilliant, it lasted A until she was almost 8 months old, she very rarely managed to pull the toys hard eneough to get the bird to spin, but we didn't have the toy bar on very often, A sent many evening sleeping in the chair, as the vibrations helped with wind issues.

Changing stations - beware of the nice looking but expensive ones you'll see in mothercare etc.
The manufaturers seem to think that if they put a wider change station on top of a chest of drawers they can charge you over £200.
We went for an ikea one, again we got it from ebay for around £60 (plus going to collect) they retail about £100 with three drawers.
We didn't want an open plan one as we have cats too, so they would most likely try and sleep on the open shelves. The one we purchased had survived two children completely unmarked. One of my cats managed to put a small scratch on it the day we brought it home!!!!
Not sure if ikea still do sell this but here it is on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ikea-drawer-and-changing-table_W0QQitemZ270238529627QQihZ017QQcategoryZ20424QQssPageNaM JWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think helen is right you need advice from other twin mums on buggies.

Bumbo seats - you won't need these until your babies are sitting up, but borrow one from a friend to try them first, as some babies really do not get on with them, A used one once or twice at play group and seemed ok, with it, so we borrowed one from SIL and we had to give it back within two weeks as she was going ridgid to pull herself out.

Sling/wrap :- We had a sling for when A was really small, and when she out grew it we moved on to a moby D wrap and I found them really useful, it meant that I could move around the house and put out the washing, even if A was being Fracious. It is possible to carry two in it at once, so it might be worth doing some research on them. gives you hands free baby carrying.

Muslins - great the more the merrier, mopping up everything, check for them in Asdas & tescos, lot cheaper than mothercare.

Hope that helps

Toni

/links

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
I'd definitely say a bouncy chair as we used it all the time.  A used to have his daytime naps in it all the time just with a blanket over his bottom half.  I also found my change table invaluable in the early days as I had a c-section so it meant I didn't have to try and kneel or bend down with a baby in my arms - we had a cheap open shelved one from Mothercare for about £80 - I think Ikea do some cheap ones too.

The advice re Bumbo's is also good - they can be a godsend but not all babies like them so test one out first (or buy cheaply second hand)

Fluffs xxx

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Hiya Hayley

I agree re the moses baskets if you can borrow one or get one second hand and perhaps just buy a new mattress for it as they arent in them long, mind you if anything like my little one, he wont go in at all we have 2 of them, one at parents and one here and he screams blue murder when we put him in, given my time again i would have gone for a crib, altho if you are having a twin pushchair with carrycots then i would say dont bother with a moses basket

or

how about using their bouncy chairs for daytime naps and getting a cot divider and sleeping the twins in the cot upstairs ???

I wouldnt be without my bouncy chair, i got one that both rocks and bounces opt for one that reclines if you can

Muslin squares, i got a couple of packs from morrisons which are £1.99 for a pack of 3, what a godsend i used to use them to cover up when i was out Breastfeeding, mopping up and all kinds i still use them for

I got a changing table (cosatto) from a friend, i wouldnt buy one brand new as i dont think you would get the use from it but its helpful altho i dont use the bath on it as its upstairs but handy for nightime changes and storing things

We also got a basket for downstairs with baby essentials in it which saves upping and downing the stairs

Em

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I found a cot top changer the best buy, I bought it new for about £30...still use it to change DDs nappies, much better than sitting on the floor!!  :eek:  would be handy with twins as u can leave one in the cot while u change the other!!  :)

we didnt get on with Bumbo seat actually...Fluffs ideas is good to try it out first..... found the galt ring useful as she could sit it it and be supported and if falls its all soft!! 

I got a cheap moses basket off ebay, but new mattress, only lasted us about 8 weeks as DD was very long!!

Ax

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Moses basket - DS lasted a few weeks in it but preferred mummy and daddy's bed!!  ::) ;D

We bought DS a vibrating bouncer chair and he loved it. Was brill for getting him to sleep too..... only problem was he got too heavy for it and so we bought him an infant - toddler rocker. This is fab as it can recline by just pulling out a bar underneath. It vibrates and it has the usual toybar over it. Plus, it's more sturdy than a bouncer and so we should get our money's worth from it. Cost £40 I think from Argos.

Swinging crib - FABULOUS!! Finally got DS out of our bed!!  ;D ;D

I didn't bother with a baby bath. Just either used the sink  ;D or put him straight into the big bath upstairs. Easier that way!

BIBS!! Need a mountain of em!!  ;D ;D Ethel Austins do some fab milky bibs - £3 for 10. They are elasticated round the neck so catches the dribbles that run down their necks. We also used to put a plastic backed one underneath it to stop his neckline getting soaked and so needing a change of clothes.... wee babies seem to hate being undressed. Asda do some good cheapo ones - about £3 or £4 for 10.

Swings - Probably best to borrow one if possible or buy 2nd hand as I got given one for DS and he's been in it no more than a handful of times. Preferred his bouncy chair.

Bumbos - DS HATES bumbos but was happier with a bebepod (probs cos bigger round his bum!!) ;D ;D ;D

Also, for when bubs get older, an activity centre is a GODSEND!! DS will not sit in his vibrating chair for longer periods now so he goes into his baby einstein and I can just move him round the house in it!! ;D ;D ;D

Thats all I can think of at the mo... will post more if I can think of anything!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts