Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that is the question!!  ;D

I never dream fed with Matthew, and sort of regretted it - he took a long time to sleep through. So before I'd had Sadie I was more or less decided that I would dream feed her.
Well she's been such a prolific feeder and  pretty day and night confused in her early weeks, so that a dream feed wasn't really an issue because she's often been either wide awake and/or feeding around that time anyway.  I've ended up trying to do dream feeds at 11-12pm because she'd not finished feeding for the evening anyway until gone 9pm!  ::)

Anyways..... as she's started to settle down over the last few weeks into feeding less and going down to sleep better in the evening, I've been doing dream feeds - at about 1030 - 11pm.  Quite often they wake her up!  At best they've made her sleep on til 3am, so been quite pleased with that, but often she's taken the dream feed but still been awake at 1 or 2am for her usual middle of the night snack  ;D  so it's just become an extra feed.  She's usually awake again sometime between 5.30 - 7.30am, sometimes twice. 

So - last night she went fast to sleep about 8.30pm, and I thought as an experiment, I'd leave her, and not dream feed.  We had probably our best night so far!!  She did wake at 2am but she fed really well and went straight back to sleep, and didn't wake up til 7am!  Now I know that was only one night, and it could be that she was in the mood for a good sleep and won't be tonight, but my instincts just never really make me feel comfortable with feeding a sleeping baby and risking waking her!

What would you do?  carry on and persevere with dream feeds or leave her?

Claire x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Oooohhh interesting question. I never dream fed J, partly cos I'd never heard of doing it but also cos he was a constant feeder too. Then with M I often would feed her at 10/10.30pm, but only cos she'd disturb when I went to bed.

I think if you are going to do it then you have to persevere for a week or so for it to have any effect, but in the end I decided to only feed if M woke/disturbed cos I didn't want a 10pm feed to become a habit.

Not a lot of help I know............sorry!

Chux xx

G

·
personnally i would let her sleep and wouldnt disturb her...if shes a bf baby im assuming shes fed on demand...so you have to take the lead from her..i think this dream feed is more for bottle fed babies i could be wrong...

congratulations on your princess and what a beautiful name...

you offered me alot of support in my early days and it meant alot...i hope i can offer something back...

hth...goodluck..will be interesting to see what the others think as it is a tricky one and personnal choice...

:-* :-* :-*

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
barbiedoll said:
i think this dream feed is more for bottle fed babies i could be wrong...
Barbiedoll I think anyone can do it regardless of how you feed, many of my friends who are big advocates of dreamfeeding have breastfed. some have done a bottle for the dreamfeed only, but most have done a BF.

Anyway I didn't dreamfeed last night either and Sadie had her best night so far! She went to bed a bit later than the night before, 9pm, partly my fault as I didn't get round to bathing her til later, but once she was in bed, she slept til 4am then after a feed went back down til 7.30am.
It's not convincing me about the merits of dream feeding!!

She's had her first jabs today though so it's anyone's guess how she'll sleep.

Also, I do remember Matthew seemed to be settling into his nights pretty well at about 8-9 weeks and then he started teething, so I'm not counting my chickens.

So - anyone else got any experience that would help me with my decision?

Claire x

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last night slept thru from 9.30 - 7.30!!  bliss!  but I do want to get her down earlier in the evenings eventually.

Cx

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi Claire,

Just to chuck in my two penny's worth.... there were phases where we did a dream feed and phases where we didn't. Times when it helped, and times it made things worse. I would not dream feed her right now while what you're doing is working. Like you I never dream fed her when she was little cos she'd always only just gone to bed! For us it was more of an opportunity to get extra milk into her by night for a) milk supply when she was older, b) reducing the number of day time feeds when she was feeding every 1-2 hrs but sleeping all night and c) extra calories into her when she was too distractible to feed much by day/going through a breast refusal phase.

Love Sue

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Sue
that's interesting that you've done it on and off because I remember trying to introduce it later with Matthew and it didn't really work - it just meant he starting waking up for a 10pm feed as well as a 2am one!!  ;D  So I gave up, under the impression that if you don't do it early on it won't stick.  ???

After initial success with not bothering to dream feed, Sadie has gone on to more or less sleep through - to varying degrees, she is often still going to bed at around 8.30 - 9.30 but going through til 6.30-7.30 ish - a couple of times she's woken at 4ish but the main thing is she's skipping the middle of the night feeds!  ^clapping^  Her best night was 8pm - 7.30 am!! I could have kissed her!  well I did actually  ;D 

She seems to be getting herself into a routine of cluster feeding from about 6pm - 8, she has two feeds in quick succession then bath and a final feed and she's off with the fairies then for the night.  It's not the best timing if I'm on my own getting Matthew sorted for bed, but luckily DP is usually around to deal with him.  I'm wondering if the dream feed is good for avoiding that cluster feeding by filling her up again later.  Ah well, after she's established I'll start bringing forward her bed time gradually and see if she moves the feeding forwards. 

My mum swears it's all about baby weight and age - and it's just coincidence if anything you do to their routine seems to make it happen.  I do think Matty was on the verge of sleeping through, he'd done it a few times, but he started teething early and badly and it just messed up his sleep soooo much.  Nothing I could do then seemed to help him sleep.  With Sadie I haven't really done anything and she's just done it on her own.  Go figure!

However I'm now not sure if the dream feed is good insurance, for if/when she decides she will wake up in the night again.  ;D 

Claire x

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
i was a HUGE advocate of the dream feed with my first baby.  probly coz it worked a charm.  It NEVER worked with the twins.  EVER.  So i recon it just depends on the baby!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi again Claire,

Sadie sounds a lot like my DD in her pattern. She is gorgeous by the way. I suspect that a dream feed won't have much effect on the cluster feeding, and that is something she will grow out of. My DD didn't grow out it by 5 months... we had to give her a dummy and a blankie to get her off me in the evenings and in bed by 7.30. Once you get an earlier bed time then maybe a dream feed might become useful in other ways eg maybe she will sleep until 6.30 instead of 5.30.

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just thought I'd update on progress.
She'd more or less been sleeping through, going to bed quite late still, anywhere between 8.30 and 10pm, but then going right through to 7am!  :)
Last week, at 10weeks old, she became very difficult to feed, she was fighting and kicking, crying, and more windy. She stopped sleeping through and either went to bed very late - at about 1130-12 - or she'd go off at 7.30 and be awake again sometime between 10 and 12 - I'd feed her, and she'd be off again waking up at 4.30 and 7.30am.

Last night we had another sleep through - 8 - 6.30 so I'm very happy with that! 

The joy with S is that even when she's awake in the evening, she's mostly in a pretty good mood, she just sits there and smiles.

So the upshot is, I don't appear to be dreamfeeding this baby either..... ::)

Claire x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts