Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

DS is really into Thomas. Do we buy him a Thomas toddler bed which are a bit pricey or are we wasting our money? Should we just get a simple toddler bed that he wont grow out of and could use for his sibling (don't know the sex of baby) Should we bypass a toddler bed and go for a simple single bed or are they a bit too high? Argghhh don't know what to do, what did you end up doing or wished you had done?

Thanks xx

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Good question! Having this exact diema at the moment. Will be interested to hear replies. Sorry i don't have any answers. xxxx

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is such a dilema! Me and dh have been discussing this for weeks and still cant make up our minds. Anyone out there with some advise for us please  :)  x

·
Registered
477 Posts
Our twins would have stayed in the cot beds adjusted down to bed but when we moved we lost the bolts so our son went into a bed, I got him the one out of tesco its a wee cabin bed, not to  high but gives storage under neath.  I to liked the thomas bed but thought he will out grow quickly, didnt want to have to be changing furniture in a few years, although he has destroyed half of it already so glad I didnt get stuff which was to pricey.

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
We went straight from Cot to a Adult single bed.

The main reason was cost. I couldnt see the point of buying a toddler bed, only to have to buy another later on. Hopefully it will last years  ;D

Nikki xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I have to say I resent paying the price for branded things such as the Thomas bed, therefore would go for a normal one then buy some Thomas accessories e.g. curtains, bedspread, wall stickers, bin, light shade etc.

I'm guessing you have a cot as opposed to a cotbed? If it's a cotbed then I'd take the sides off and see how he goes, either buying a cheap cot for the baby or using a crib for the first few months. If it's a cot you have then I'd go straight for a full sized single bed - by the time you buy the bed, mattress and all the bedding to go with it it could be a small fortune and you may as well go straight for the single with a bed guard if you are worried about him falling out.

Besides, the bedding choice is so much better (and cheaper!) for singles as opposed to toddler beds!

Chux xx

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you  :)

Well the decision was taken out of my hands (not such a bad thing) DH came home this morning and told me he managed to find a wardrobe, chest of drawers, a bedside unit a toddler bed and mattress for just over £120  :eek:  it is a plain bed so going to do what you said Chux, acessorise with Thomas stuff.

Chux he is in a cot bed but my thinking was, to just shift him into a new room and bed in one big hit. I was worried I might confuse and unsettle him more by taking the sides off his cot, then moving him to a new room and then moving him into a bed. I could be very wrong but was thinking new room and bed all in one hit might mean he will adapt quicker other than me keep changing things when he has just settled into the new change. I could be v wrong though and eat my words and he will be back in his cotbed quick as he is such a good sleeper at night since being a baby.

I am dreading moving him and want to hold off but I know it's not fair on him to change everything at the same time as a baby arriving home and I should do it sooner rather than later.

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
It's a tough one and I think there's two ways of looking at it - yes, you could confuse and unsettle him by doing it in stages but, OTOH, it may help to keep some familiarity and do ibit by bit..........you'll never know until you try!

I do think we all very often think about these things much too much and, more often than not, our LO's surprise us as they just accept things as they are - mine certainly do change a lot better than I do!

Chux xx

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have most definatly over thought this one, it has been playing on my mind since we found out about the bfp  :-[  I know if I was not expecting I would not be moving him as (touch wood) he does not try to get out of his cot and is such a good sleeper, also he is completly ruined and spoilt and the thought of me confusing things for him and unsettling him upsets me, does that sound stupid?

I am so hoping it all goes smoothly  ^pray^  Thank you everyone xx

G

·
I know MAL has sorted her question out but for Cleo31, we got full size bunk beds which stand down as two singles.  They certainly are not too high and a bed guard (if you need one) is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a toddler bed and then an adult bed later on.
We're looking at putting the bunks up properly as they are both very capable of climbing up and down ladders and the top bed is totally enclosed but haven't come to a firm decision yet.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
On a related question, what do you do about bedding for a toddler bed?  We are waiting to acquire L's cousin's toddler bed once his mum has got round to getting him a full sized one, and L is more than ready for a proper bed now.  She climbs into and out of her cot safely, and can get out of it in her sleeping bag (so we now have the human alarm clock who comes into bed and climbs all over my head at an ungodly hour in the morning  ^bigbad^ )

I assume you use duvets with toddler beds, but DD is such a wriggler that she always comes out from under duvets or blankets.  Can you get a duvet or cover that goes all the way round the mattress, like a large bag, so that she can't come out of it?  Or can I still use the sleeping bag?  Any any tips for discouraging the early morning visitations???!!

EG x

PS Mal - not long to go now! ^reiki^

G

·
No reason why you can't still let her use the sleeping bags if she can still fit in them.  D is a right wriggler but still stays under his duvet most of the time (but it's a full size one).

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
EG ~ have you tried a duvet with her before?

With L when he was in his cot, couldnt/wouldn't have anything over him, blanket or duvet. I was worried about him having a duvet on him but he took to it fine which amazed me seeing as he would play merry hell if i tried putting one on him in the cot  ::)

Another idea is fleecy sleepsuits which i had at the ready for L but never used

xx

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks EG  :)  We just got (delivered this morning) a toddler duvet and pillow with thomas covers from amazon and that was about £16 I think.

My wonderful sleeper has gone, just like that, don't know what has happened or what is on his mind. I have not changed his room or cot or bedding or anything yet and I am now v v reluctant to move him at all. When he goes to bed he is screaming his head off and crying and doing the same if he wakes and he is waking really early  :(  He is shattered and being really naughty because he is tired. This is really bad timing, any ideas at all?

Only thing that has happened is he woke crying yesterday morning v upset, when I went into him he was upset and shaking, I calmed him down then dh came in the room and even though it was early dh got up with him, since this he has been a nightmare. I am thinking maybe he woke with a bad dream and because we got him up because he was upset he is thinking if he cries we will get him up. His speech is not good so I cant question what it is that is upsetting him so much. I hate hearing him so upset but don't want to be getting him out of bed every time he cries  :(

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Hi MAL and everyone else  :)

Chux asked some good questions hun, when they get overtired all hell breaks loose  ::)
My LO is a good sleeper generally but i find when she's over tired we get night terrors  :(  i knew it was overtiredness as it only happened on the days where she didnt nap or had a late night and she is VERY badly behaved when tired  ::) 

RE; the bed glad you got it sorted i wish i had! My mum (who btw spoils R rotten ) insisted on buying her a disney princess bed for xmas. My LO is only 18 months but very tall and a lover of climbing all things dangerous so we were forced to abandon the cot - especially after she broke it playing gymnastics in there  :mad:  anyway the 'themed' beds are a pain in the wotsit, its not a bed now its a toy  ^bigbad^  it has a carriage and lights which are all very pretty but not cool when you put them to bed and they're more interested in the bed then sleeping. She's had the bed for approx 3 months now and we're only just getting to the point where she sees it as a bed and not a toy and thats after having to change her routine to calm her dowm more before bed (she's very active  ;D ) so now the only lights i have on indoors from about 6.30 are lamps - soft lighting and her bedroom light goes off so she doesnt carry on going berserk and knows its time to chill out. Depending on the night she'll either have a bath or we'll sit snuggling watching some tv then its off to bed at 7.30 with a bottle of milk. Most nights she drops off, sometimes she really plays up and its a game of how many times can mummy put me back to bed but these are getting less frequent.

ON the subject of bedding, what a pain! I bought a duvet that was supposed to be for a toddler bed but its huge! am thinking they labelled it wrong but cant take it back so stuck with a spare duvet now  ::)  cant use it for her bed so i'm using the bedding from her cot until she's a bit bigger

I hope all settles down for you and LO x

·
Registered
600 Posts
http://www.aspace.co.uk/images/beds/toddler_beds/tobermory_extending_bed-2018_pink_stripe.htm

Hi All

Just found this chat and thought i'd post a link for the beds we have recently bought.

We've just moved house so the triplets now have their own rooms. They're still ok in their cots but we have the beds set up in their rooms with 'special' covers on so they can get used to them and hopefully make the transition a little easier.

We've been a bit up and down with routines lately (xmas etc) but as soon as we're back to normal i'm going to start giving them an their afternoon nap in them and gradually move to o/night when they're ready.

We really like these beds as they're little for now but you just flip the end around when needed (it's all bolted together but is easily adjusted) to make a full size single that is still quite low to the floor. I have single sized duvets on them with the bottom tucked under. The kids love to play 'na-nights' in them, pretending to snuggle down to sleep, very cute!

JJ x x x

/links

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you

JJ 4 little uns under the age of 3  ^bow^ ^bow^  you must be so busy! I love that bed, too late for us though.

Hi Hopeful and C if he misses a nap I put him to bed earlier as he is shattered the poor mite, but I do think it is a combination of that and a few other things.

Looks like we are over it  ^pray^ I think its a combination of being over tired and he is obsessed with Daddy at the moment. DH had 3 weeks off over xmas, most of that I was ill so dh looked after DS. Plus he has gone back to works on nights and it has confused DS. Normally if lo is upset like that dh would not get involved, I always deal with lo at night and I think DS picked up that because he was upset Daddy got him up so was trying his luck (poor dh was doing me a favour by letting me go back to bed). Looking back on it if I went into DS when he was screaming he would get worse, finally dh went in and told him he was being naughty and it was bedtime (twice he did this) lo listened and I think realised that Daddy was not going to give in and get him up. Since then I have taken over naps again and getting up and bedtime and DS is back to his usual self (touch wood) DH is generally the softer of the 2 of us and DS knows this so just think he was seeing how far he could push and was v v v over tired. Also he might be picking up that things are changing as DH is spending most of his time doing DS's bedroom and we are talking gently to him about him having a big boys room and a bed just for him and he likes seeing his new bedroom even though its not finished yet so just think all of it put together upset him.

Thank you everyone x

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.