Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm after some advice from anyone who has suffered (or little ones) with tonsilitis.

H went down with it a week ago last Thursday. He finished his antibiotics on Thursday - they said 5 days but I just kept going until the bottle ran out.

He's fine in himself (very snotty nose though) and not complaining about anything, although he's not eating very much (but that's nothing new).

I shone the torch in his mouth this evening to check all was back to normal and his tonsils are still massively swollen - both are touching the dangly thing in the back of his mouth - is this normal? Does it take a while for them to settle back down? Do I need to take him back to the Dr?

Thanks

S xxx

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
I've had tonsilitus a couple of times. They usually look for white spots on the tonsils before giving anti b's - if they're swollen & red they don't normally treat them with anti b's as it could be viral. I was told with anti b's it can take a week or so for swelling/redness to disappear but if H is still sore I'd leave it a couple more days then take him back. ^hugme^

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gill,

They are not all white like they were so I guess that's ok then? He really is fine in himself and I keep asking him if it hurts and he says no  :)

S xxx

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hiya Ladies

Im not sure but i have a feeling my LO has tonsilitis - hes feverish, runny nose (with green stuff from mouth too) sounds hoarse when crying and quite hot - called my Gp who said its probably teething but when i tried to give him his lunch when he was swallowing he sort of pulled away?  I cant get in to see any ideas how to?  Should i just try to pin him down and look? (he was hysterical when i had a wee go)

Id just hate to think Im putting this down to teething when its something else?  I hate to call the GP again as we are there alot with his eczema - they probably think im nurotic.

Thanks

Sandra xx

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sandra,

^hugme^ for you and your little man.

I only happend to notice my ds had it because I was knelt next him giving him a hug when he was crying so my eyes were level with his mouth and I saw them. I then got a torch and shone that in to confirm what I thought I saw.

Do you have a torch in the house? Try and catch a peep next time he's crying.

It could *just* be teething but if you are not happy then you must call the Dr again and ask to be seen - ear infections can also cause pain on eating and swallowing too  :-\

Sending get well wishes

S xxx

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Shelley

Thanks for the reply - Bens out with his Daddy for a walk due to the fact he was up most of the night to give me time to myself (althought i think it was to make diner - not chat on here ;))  Ive got the torch waiting for his return.

Thanks again - will keep up informed

Sandra xx

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Shelley - Grace had tonsillitus and an ear infection at the same time, I didnt know she had it as I had taken her to the dr's for bad croup.  They give the antibiotics if the tonsils are infected not just swollen and they do take some time to go down (I suffered really badly when young so have first hand experience).  She was off her food for a couple of weeks in the end so I just let her have anything if she would eat it, just until she started eating properly again.  For a couple of days all she would eat was organix alphabet biccies but at least it was getting something inside her!

Sanjo - the best way to see inside a reluctant babies mouth is to either hold them upside down (not the best idea if they feel unwell and I dont mean by the ankles just lying them head down on your lap) or make them laugh, if he is ticklish  ;D and have the torch ready.  If you try to hard it makes them worse and they clamp the mouth shut - in fact they always do the opposite of what you want ^roflmao^

Ruth
xx

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Thanks Girls

We ahd a look (dont ask how!  Not by the ankles Ruth - if social sevices ask  ;)) and they are OK.  LO has a rash on cheeks and mouth today and lots of "runny nappies" so i really do think its teething,

Thanks girls & hes better today - wee love  :-*

Sandra xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts