Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

i have a baby girl who will be 9 weeks old tomorrow who for the last week has been sleeping through the night for an average of 10 hours.  i thought i was really lucky but when i saw my friend today she was told by her health visitor that you should wake the baby during the night for a feed.  i now dont know if im doing the right thing by letting her sleep.  has anyone got any advice?

thanks

donna x

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi
I personally wouldnt wake a baby who is sleeping through for a feed. I actually used to dream feed Benjamin when i went to bed at around 10.30 just to get him to go a little longer through the night without waking. Some babies will sleep through a lot earlier than others. As long as she is gaining weight ok, i wouldnt worry.
Karen & Benjamin

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
I'd definately say let a sleeping baby sleep!  I'm one of those lucky ladies that has such an adorable son, but he did insist on getting my up every one and a half to two hours during the first six months!!!!!

So Elaine, SueL and Donna, please do stop rubbing it in with your lovely sleeping babies so early!

Love,

Sue xxxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Jack and Ben did the same and there was no way in a million years I was going to wake them.  A baby will let you know in no uncertain terms when (s)he needs feeding, so I say let sleeping babies lie.  Besides, even if you did wake her, chances are she wouldn't take the feed if she wasn't hungry anyway and then you're all disturbed for nothing. 

If baby is losing weight or there's some medical reason for night feeding at this stage, then fair enough, but otherwise, I'd say leave well alone, relax and get some kip yourself  ;)

Love

Jayne x

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi there,

All the above advice is spot on, I am actually a children's nurse and I know fro experience that all babies are different with their sleep patterns. The main thing we watch for is a sudden drop of weight or if the baby takes a considerable less amount of feed than normal over a 24 hour period. Waking your baby through the night is a very old fashioned approach but one that still occasionally finds it's way out into the community to scare new mums with perfectly normal babies.
I say long may it last as unfortunately these little tinkers often lull you into a false sense of security and then suddenly decided they do fancy a night feed after all a few weeks later when they have a growth spurt.

Enjoy as many restful nights as you can Morgana x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts