Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How old is too old? is it realistically possible to get pregnant after 35? i know u hear of the odd person its happened to. The exception. I don't know any1 who has had a baby after that age. Based on the average woman is it still possible? Or really rare?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Debster

I know hundreds of women including myself who got pregnant after 35. Look at Jo Whiley she is 42!! Good luck with everything x

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
It's true that on average fertility does decline (and quite sharply) after 35 years. However, plenty of women have babies after this....

Did a quick Google search and in the UK between 1996 and 2000 there were 77,908 babies born to women aged 35-39 years and  12,970 born to women 40-44 years. And 608 born to women 45 years and over....

Hope this helps you feel more postive - that's nearly 100,000 babies to women 35+ in 4 years - so more than just the odd person  :)

Hope you become one of them very soon!
Laura
x

·
Registered
420 Posts
Debs
i know loads of people over 35 who are pg, 4 at work are 37- 39 and all having great pg. I am 43 soom and had 3 pg in last year sadly all mc but your eggs are 7 years younger so go for it ,best of luck
Burnley xx

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh right ok then. Thanks. I thought it was near on impossible! Still reckon my eggs aint anywhere near what they were though cuz only 6 of the 8 fertilized and only 2 were good enough, well not even they were good enough in the end. Thanks for the info every1  ^reiki^  :)

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

As the other ladies have already said, there are 1000's of women who get pregnant after the age of 35.  If it was completely unfeasible then I'd obviously be classed as past it, considering I'm 39 (moving very quickly towards 40 !).....however, we had our follow up appointment the other day following our most recent BFN (6th IVF/FET) and the consultant said that actually I'm still pretty young, especially in terms of having IVF & that she certainly wouldn't suggest we stop and give up due to age !

Take care...and good luck ^reiki^
Natasha

·
Registered
817 Posts
There are tens of thousands of women who give birth after 35 and about 15,000 in the UK last year after 40!

So I wldn't worry. however, you raise an interesting point - yes, you might want to ask more about why they think those 2 didn't fertilise and the other 4 failed to develop as there might be a problem with the lab. I'm 39 and we've had 2 cycles with 100% fert and 40% developing to blastocyst stage. This is, I suspect, more a function of the LAB being good rather than the egg quality as I think my egg quality is actually quite poor.   

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks natasha and anna

I'm confused bout the whole thing and I don't wanna fork out 5k on a slim chance due to age and poor egg quality. I also reckon the clinic stuffed up too but can never know for sure. 1 of my eggs was too small and the other fertilized abnormally. Personally i think all 8 fertilized abnormally cuz 4 others went to mush and the 2 they put back in was fragmented. she said the quality was bout a grade 2, which is cr*p anyways. Also we was having icsi cuz of 3 SA's that were done that had low count and poor morhology but after EC they came out when I was still groggy sayin the sample was ok and they were doin ivf instead. I can't help but wonder if icsi would of been better. Also if his swimmers are ok now then I must be the prob...its enough to drive ya insane!  :eek:

·
Registered
817 Posts
oh god poor you.
and yes i completely agree re not wasting 5k on the next one!

have they done your AMH? it gives a good indication of ovarian reserve in terms of numebrs at least if not quality. (anti mullerian hormone)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nah I don't think so. They did fsh on days 1,2,3 and it was 5.4, the nurse looked at my bloods etc and said I had plenty of eggs in my basket. reckon they say that to every1 to encourage ya to have another go cuz they wanna make more money. They was useless all the way through, had to find out all I needed to know from this site. Feel a bit resentful towards em

G

·
Hiya

The more I treck along this mad road the more I realise that the protocol and monitoring you (or in most cases do not get) makes all the difference to egg quality and then embie quality.....eggs being grown too quickly, slowly and being retrieved at the wrong time can really affect quality as can the drugs you do or do not take to regulate hormones along the way - especially LH for example IMHO. Hope you do not give up as I would be delighted to be as young as you!!

xxx

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi

Yes it is still possible to get pg after 35 lots of ladies to do  :)  :)  Have you spoken to your Clinic about your concerns and see what they say ??? 

I can understand you not wanting to spend more money if there isn't a chance.  Have they said that your eggs are good quality ???

Wishing you all the best

x x x x

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'm gonna give up cuz I just got a feelin its not going to work. The clinic didn't say how poor quality my eggs were, they like to keep ya in the dark cuz it takes up a lot of time explainin things. Think they must be very bad quality as I looked at the pictures of the 6 embies and apart from the 2 they put back, they were like 1 big cell. It can't be down to the sperm quality cuz a bad one can't fertilize an egg apparently. I've had no tests done on me at all. Just bloods. It was all based on his poor sample

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi

I am sorry to hear that your Clinic won't give you the answers you want.  Is there anyway to get a second opinion ???  If not I would make an appointment and insist that they give you the answers that you want to hear.  At least that way you can make an informed decision and decide what to do next.

I wouldn't give up without a fight  ^hugme^

x x x

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I get what ya sayin Scooby, just aint got the energy anymore. Argue with my husband all the time cuz I'm so bitter. Reckon its time to give up. Maybe invest the money in counseling to learn how to come to terms with it instead of fighting a losing battle. Thanks for ya help PS  ^congrats^  ^hugme^

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Ah am so sorry hun  ^hugme^  ^hugme^  ^hugme^

You have to do what you feel is right at the end of the day  ^hugme^

Take care

x x x

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hi Debster,

I see you had treatment at Ocean Suite.  I have had 2 cycles there and found the staff to be lovely and the embriologist sat and talked to us about our embryos and their grading etc.  Our 1st ICSI was BFN but we were very lucky to get frosties.  Our 2nd go at FET got our BFP with 2 embryos put back at grade 1.5/2.  The embriologist said they hardley ever get grade 1 so grade 1.5 or 2 is a good result. Oh, by the way I am now 39!!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do next but personally I could not have given up after 1 go as I know several people who it has worked 2nd or 3rd time and would have just been thinking "what if" if I hadn't gone for it again.  Just my humble opinion.

Good luck!

Amanda
x

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Amanda, I had to drag it out of them what grade embryo mine were. I found derriford useless but then again they were found to be the 2nd worst hospital in the country. I know 2 other girls on this site who have had a bad time with em 2. I'm glad u had a good experience with them though. I had to stim for longer than expected and they had to do my EC on a different day to every1 else so I was a nuisance from the start. I've found out that ya first go at IVF will be ya best response to the drugs too. I always thought ya 2nd attempt was the best but turns out I was wrong about that and its ya first. So glad it worked for ya  :)

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi

I was told by 2 clinics that we went to that the first IVF if more of an experiment to see how well your body responds to drugs etc and its all new to your body so not sure what to expect.  The second time you are more likely to get a positive outcome as you have been through it before.

There are very few ladies that actually get a positive on their first attempt but do succeed on their second.

x x x

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm 38 and a half hun
I had my moments of bitterness-I'd been careful all my life not to have unplanned pregnancy, I was adopted at 10 days old cos I was the product of an affair, friends who weren't married and had been with partners for five minutes were getting pregnant at the drop of a hat etc. etc, you get the picture BUT I couldn't give up because I couldn't make sense of why I'd got to where I was in life if I gave up, everything pointed to the time being now!
I also had to go through the only seven eggs, only four fertilised, only two good enough and then only just but at this point DH kind of stepped in and kept saying how he didn't see how it couldn't work, so that kept me going as did the thought of dear mum conceiving my brother, at the tender of age of 41, 10 years after adopting me and having pushed natural conception to the back of her mind.
You're not too old, so it's just a question of whether you can find the strength to carry on trying. I know it's hard with every period and stuff. You might benefit from planning something like 3-6 months where conceiving, assisted or otherwise is just not on the agenda, pursuing a new past-time and ensuring that you book yourself regular pamper sessions and cosy weekends with DH.
Hope this post isn't too heavy and that it helps you in some way.
Very best wishes for the future,
Gizmog.  ^cat^ ^fairydust^ ^rainbow^

1 - 20 of 26 Posts