Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i am new to the site & would love to hear from any other ladies out there who have had a radical trachelectomy & then undergone fertility treatment. We are just about to join that roller coaster and any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated

Lucy Lou xx

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hey welcome to the thread.
Sounds like you've been through a lot recently.
What have the dr's advised you to do next with regards to your treatment - do you need to have an all clear before you start tx?
Hopefully you have a plan in place of what to do next, the girlies on here are great and always offer really helpful advice.
Sending you lots of ^fairydust^
Luv Ju

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all!  I am a newbie here.  I have been diagnosed with cervical cancer in the last few days and I feel desperate to talk to someone else regarding trachelectomy!  Can anyone out there give me a hand?  I know all about the procedure etc(VERY extensive reading) but would like to hear other's personal experiences with the decision re hyterectomy vs trachelectomy and how it related to their cancer stage.

Thanks so much in advance.xxx :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hello nell and welcome..i'm sure lucy lou will be happy to chat to you about her experiences, after chatting to her i have discovered that after having this op there are only a few fertility units around the country that have had any experience with this. I will get her to pm you..to recieve any pm messages you just go to the page with the list of threads and click on the messgaes at the top left..
Hopefully you'll find some helpful answers.The other thing to do is to go on ask a nurse..as ruth is qualified in answering these type of questions.
There's a lots of stuff on the internet about this a topic but i think most people are usually guided by their doctors or clinics. If i can help at all pm me..
Ju xxx

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Nell,

i have sent you a pm all about my experiences 18 months ago, but for anyone else on this site who is interested in learning more about this op the Royal Marsden has put together a fact sheet. www.trachelectomy.co.uk.

lucy lou xx

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a trachelectomy in July 2003. It was successful as far as the cervical cancer was concerned, but I had a complication afterwards - excessive scarring of the remaining bit of the cervix - the medical term is stenosis.

SO for anyone who is thinking of having a trachelectomy, PLEASE be careful and discuss this possibility with your doctor! I wasn't told about this risk at the time, also because it is quite rare.

Because of this, I have very painful periods because the blood doesn't come out. I've had several dilations but the hole always closes up again. As things stand now, I either become pregnant through IVF (pregnancy might cause the hole to dilate and stay open) or I will most probably need to get a hysterectomy after all. This really gets me angry  :mad: because the reason I had a trachelectomy in the first place was in order to avoid a hysterectomy!!!

Feel free to PM me if you need more info.

Ciao!

zuzzy

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Welcome zuzzy..Sorry to hear about the complications..but i can assure you there are several people who have gone on to have babies through iui aNd ivf.who have had a trachelectomy..
If you need any support i'm sure Lucy Lou will be only to happy to chat to you..she has been through this operation (unlike me) and she has found a very good consultant who has also treated several other women succesfully who have had the operation
Its nice to know that there are other people out there going through the same things and it's always good to talk..
Thanks also for your offer of advice to others it's much appreciated..
Ju xx

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hiya, im new here so not quite sure what to expect! I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in July 2003, had 2 cone biopsies (which were unsuccessful) and a radical trachelectomy in December 2003. This worked and I have been clear since :) xx

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Lea Lea welcome to the site and this thread. Hope you find some answers to any questions that you have regarding tx. If you need any advice or help, just let us know..

Ju x

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

just a quickie to update you all, after 4 attempts at IUI i am pregnant!

so it is possible after a trchelectomy, just have to be very careful now & take it easy for the next 7 months.

Good luck to all of you

Lucy Lou xx

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
LucyLou.. lots of resting up now...  :-* :-*

Mookie can't believe you are 15 weeks already...

·
Registered
31 Posts
;) Hiya again,
So pleased for you, look after yourself

love

Lea Lea xxx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

I had a Radical Trachelectomy in Feb 2004. Have been trying to conceive since August 2004. Trying to find consultants and clinics who have dealt with women trying to conceive after Trachelectomy. Would appreciate any information that any one has about the above.

Many Thanks

Liz

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Liz..hopefully Lucy Lou will see this.. She wil have a better idea..she is a little tied up at the moment as she has just given birth to baby elliot..he was very early at 26 weeks and is in scbu..so obviously needs all her attention..
She was told she would need bed rest after 30 weeks due to pressure on the stitch but became pregnant after iui..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts